Anyone remember the Mike Pence outrage about only eating with his wife?

I don’t accept that infidelity is something that can happen to anyone. Tempting surroundings or not, it takes a serious lack of integrity or honour to fuck around on one’s spouse.

An odd, yet somewhat fitting comparison might be to compare the situation to gun control. Guns are perfectly fine in responsible hands. A married man having lunch with another woman is perfectly fine if the man has a reasonable amount of self control and integrity.

Hey maybe you're stronger than me to think you can never be tempted with women.

Maybe you can't be but if you can't then you would certainly be the exception not the rule.

And I think comparing gun control to committing adultery is apples and oranges. One is taking another person's life the other is two people seeking to fulfill their lust for one another.

I don’t accept that infidelity is something that can happen to anyone. Tempting surroundings or not, it takes a serious lack of integrity or honour to fuck around on one’s spouse.

An odd, yet somewhat fitting comparison might be to compare the situation to gun control. Guns are perfectly fine in responsible hands. A married man having lunch with another woman is perfectly fine if the man has a reasonable amount of self control and integrity.

You should look up Bill Burr interview where he was talking about tiger woods it was pretty funny but dead on. He was saying don't judge Tiger too quick. Majority of Americans are fat and out of shape aren't hounded by swarms of beautiful women as they waddle out to their ford focus after playing a game of golf. It was a pretty funny interview but a ton of truth to it.

If I had access I'll post the youtube vid...maybe I will later if I remember to do so.

I could give a fuck less whatever "rule" Pence has with his wife. If it works for them, then good for them. My problem with Pence is that he's a hardcore social conservative and he tries to impose these rules on the rest of us via Big Government.

I have much more respect for someone like Ron Paul who is also religious and likely lives a similar lifestyle, but who does not wish to impose his values on the rest of us, and is a small government libertarian. People like Paul are why I became a Republican. I wish we would become more of a libertarian party. I'm sick of the social conservatives and neocons.

I don’t accept that infidelity is something that can happen to anyone.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Do you think some people are immune to infidelity? Or merely that many people, given the opportunity, will elect to stay faithful?

Pence's view is a fairly common one. I think he would agree with you that being loyal to his wife is a critical matter to his integrity and honor. So he takes precautions to avoid situations where he could be tempted. He's by no means the first man I've ever met with such a policy.

I can't speak for Pence, as I do not know him or know much about him, but most of the men I know who order their life in a manner to minimize opportunities for failure won't easily fail the first time they are tempted.

Hey maybe you're stronger than me to think you can never be tempted with women.

Maybe you can't be but if you can't then you would certainly be the exception not the rule.

And I think comparing gun control to committing adultery is apples and oranges. One is taking another person's life the other is two people seeking to fulfill their lust for one another.

Fine, then how about comparing adultery to theft? Employers have to trust their employees with customers’ money in various industries.

Employees don’t make vows in front of their spouse, their friends and family, and God when they take a job, yet most will take their jobs seriously and not commit larceny.

I’m well aware of how high the divorce rate is; I’m a lawyer irl and about 40-50% of my practice is family law. However, the overwhelming majority of breakups among my clients are not due to adultery, but to substance abuse (alcoholism or drugs) by one of the spouses, or anger management and/or physical abuse in the relationship.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Do you think some people are immune to infidelity? Or merely that many people, given the opportunity, will elect to stay faithful?

The latter.

Self control. Integrity. Honour. Strength. Any and all of the above. Some people have them. But reading the responses in this thread it’s clear that a lot people apparently don’t, which is fucking pathetic.

Next time we have a thread complaining about fat people who are too mentally weak to put down their food I guess I’ll have to remind everyone about this thread where everyone conceded that they’re probably too mentally weak to not cheat on their wives.

<{hughesimpress}>

Pence's view is a fairly common one. I think he would agree with you that being loyal to his wife is a critical matter to his integrity and honor. So he takes precautions to avoid situations where he could be tempted. He's by no means the first man I've ever met with such a policy.

I can't speak for Pence, as I do not know him or know much about him, but most of the men I know who order their life in a manner to minimize opportunities for failure won't easily fail the first time they are tempted.

Fine, then how about comparing adultery to theft? Employers have to trust their employees with customers’ money in various industries.

Employees don’t make vows in front of their spouse, their friends and family, and God when they take a job, yet most will take their jobs seriously and not commit larceny.

I’m well aware of how high the divorce rate is; I’m a lawyer irl and about 40-50% of my practice is family law. However, the overwhelming majority of breakups among my clients are not due to adultery, but to substance abuse (alcoholism or drugs) by one of the spouses, or anger management and/or physical abuse in the relationship.

Fair enough. Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and best of luck to you and your wife.

But with that said- each person and each marriage is different. If I ever do get married, I don't think Ill be going out to eat with women by myself. I know my limitations and that happens to be a weak area in my life. So I wouldn't necessarily condemn an individual for not going out to lunch with woman....especially in a position of power- there will be a lot of temptation by beautiful women in a situation with Mike Pence.

Very much commendable. Pence is halal.

Is Sweden really this bad? People losing jobs?

https://www.aftenposten.no/kultur/i/8bPqG/Frykter-gapestokk-kultur-etter-metoo-avsloringene
There is no doubt that Sweden is utterly bad but in that case regarding Martin Timell (he deserved to be booted). At one party, he put his fingers inside a colleague's vagina and he has groped other women.

But the most interesting fallout from the #MeToo-campaign in Sweden is that many prominent leftwing warriors have been outed as rapists and scum in general. These accusations comes from leftwing women.

I just love it when the left devours itself.

The latter.

Self control. Integrity. Honour. Strength. Any and all of the above. Some people have them. But reading the responses in this thread it’s clear that a lot people apparently don’t, which is fucking pathetic.

Next time we have a thread complaining about fat people who are too mentally weak to put down their food I guess I’ll have to remind everyone about this thread where everyone conceded that they’re probably too mentally weak to not cheat on their wives.

<{hughesimpress}>

Now this is a good example. It's like the guy who's on a diet vowing not to buy junk food as to avoid the temptation.

For some people they could have a pack of oreos in their cupboard for a year and not be tempted...but for others that pack of oreos will be gone within a day. So to avoid that they just choose not to buy them. Similar stance here I believe.

Don't tempt the devil to tempt you as I heard it put once.

LOL....

I know I"m dealing with children now. There is no other possible explanation.

If you can't trust your spouse to go to dinner with a member of the opposite sex, or think it's inappropriate in anyway? You shouldn't be married. You're simply waaaaay too immature to ever handle this institution. This is the kind of childish hilarious crap that took place in the 40's and 50's that we all laugh at now...

And to be clear YOU are the weirdo....You may not realize that now, but someday you may...Perhaps when you pass the age of 14?

I am married, I've been with my wife for 15 years, since we were 16 years old.

I explicitly pointed out in my post it has nothing to do with trust, it's just generally totally inappropriate behavior.

LOL, look at you, up on your high horse, showing all of us plebs how to have a successful marriage.

The fact that you think you have some kind of moral superiority because your wife goes out to dinner with men and you think that's a -ok is hilarious and sad, tilted hard towards sad.

Once again, I don't know a single married man or woman irl who would think it would be acceptable for either wife or husband to go out to dinner with a male/female co-worker or whatever.

Hey- to each their own. You might be just fine...but then again you could be teetering on the edge.

50% of marriages fail...and sin is very subtle. Usually, nobody just wakes up and starts robbing banks or shooting up heroin. It's usually a progression of circumstances. In the circumstances of adultery I bet if you would talk to most people who ended up committing adultery it started off very innocent. Maybe just a cup of coffee or a quick lunch break and then things progress from there.

Psalm 1:

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers,

Notice the progression? First he's walking....then he's stops and standing....now he's sitting with them. It's a progression.
Among many people, they have no intentions of it going there at first. They just like that other person and enjoy the company and conversation. It can start out completely innocent. From there an emotional affair can start to happen with the most innocent of intentions. This is a common thing in churches or with people who work closely together. And Christians and even non-Christians need to be on guard for this. If you have a marriage, it's smart to do what Pence is saying.

It's not just a physical or sexual affair that Pence is avoiding. He's avoiding an emotional affair also. And also the appearance of an affair. And lastly, he's assuring to his wife, which helps her trust him even more.

You guys are reading too much into this.

Pence doesn't refuse to dine with women to avoid temptation.

I'd wager he's more of a women should only speak when spoken to type of guy.

He looks like one of those kinds of pricks.

Last edited:
The latter.

I don't think that is clear at all. What is clear is that many people in this thread think vigilance girds up strength, integrity, and honor. There's nothing weak about recognizing potential weakness in yourself and nipping it in the bud.

You are reading too much into this by playing the misogyny card without any supporting evidence beyond "he looks like". It's more petty slander.

You are reading too much into this by playing the misogyny card without any supporting evidence beyond "he looks like". It's more petty slander.

Sorry for thinking a guy who thinks you can treat gay with shock therapy might have backwards views toward women.

It's ok for Trump to slander Pence, but not me?

I also bet he's dicked down his share of interns.

DMRA5f-XUAAsxv4.jpg

It's not just a physical or sexual affair that Pence is avoiding. He's avoiding an emotional affair also. And also the appearance of an affair. And lastly, he's assuring to his wife, which helps her trust him even more.

I’m not criticizing Pence’s decision in its entirety because some of those reasons are good.

If he’s doing it to protect himself from rumours and gossip, or straight up psychos that would falsely accuse him then the policy makes sense.

And if he’s doing it to assuage his wife’s fears then that’s fine too. I’d argue it doesn’t make her trust him more per se, only less concerned because circumstances are less likely to occur which could give rise to a problem.

My criticism is more aimed at those posters in this thread who’ve made statements that they would do the same because they’re not sure they’d trust themselves to not give into temptation. That sentiment makes me disappointed in my fellow Sherdoggers, that they’re too weak that they cant be mature enough and responsible enough to suppress their urges, or trust themselves and let their morals guide them in these situations.

And you are someone who judges people for how they "look" and attributes bad motives to people who are trying to live an honorable life.

Sorry for thinking a guy who thinks you can treat gay with shock therapy might have backwards views toward women.

It's ok for Trump to slander Pence, but not me?

I also bet he's dicked down his share of interns.

DMRA5f-XUAAsxv4.jpg

Isn’t the New Yorker satire?

And you are someone who judges people for how they "look" and attributes bad motives to people who are trying to live an honorable life.

It's honorable to electrocute people based on their sexual orientation?

Back