Anyone try the Modern Leg Lock Formula Instructional ?

For better or for worse it's a slow work day, so not much else to do than look out the window and think about jiu jitsu!

What's going to be really interesting is how far the ripples will go now that the mainstream has finally accepted leg locks into the game. I fully agree that it'll likely get to a point where the approach to lower body control will be a decision tree that leads to a leg sub, or a pass to side/back/whatever. What's weird about leg locks, though, is that you can enter from top and bottom.

So as getting into this decision tree becomes a more powerful option, both top players and bottom players are going to find and refine more and more leg entries (already happening: see the jump from the non-existence of reverse x-guard to inside sankaku to being a modern leg lock staple within the recent past). Top game plan is going to be packed with moves that either (or both) negate the bottom player's ability to get to the leg control universe and promote their own use, and bottom game is going to play guards that either (or both) negate the top player's ability to get into the leg control universe, and promote their own entry into it. Who knows whether it'll happen in turn taking jumps or as a paralell growth. Then you're going to have a new meta that forms from these new systems playing against each other. Some guards/passes become less popular because they present fewer options for you (or start to fill only a very specific niche, at a very specific time, ala the Tozi pass). Jiu jitsu looks totally different than how it does today.

My dream then is that, at this point, people get really, really tired or bored of all this, or seek another optional game plan to get them where they need to be, and that's the takedown game. Being able to go from standing directly into side control and bypass all of that bullshit becomes more appealing. A new takedown meta that abuses the nearly freeform ruleset for standing takedowns in BJJ (while also not getting submitted, obviously) emerges. Either that, or certain guards will be adapted/improvised to fight back against this approach, a new bottom-guard meta emerges that helps stabilize the madness. Hopefully the former.

Takedowns become the new jam. Standing leg entries get integrated. The integration of sambo/judo in gi and free or folkstyle/Greco in no gi becomes more complete (sorta happening, but not much). A series of metal are established. Standing fringe subs may enter the fray.

How the meta progresses from there, would be more integration. Defending guard passing with funk is more normal. Standing up becomes a viable tactic, so you can take them down INTO the previous material. People may pull guard against these standing opponents, but they may start pulling into bad positions susceptible to the pass/submit game.

Where it goes after that? Who knows!
Its funny reading all the same ideas written down by somebody else! Pretty freaked out you're ideas on the importance of takedowns growing again as a way to avoid leg entanglements are identical to mine too :-O

I'll start another thread as georgegreece suggested when i get a chance with some gifs from Top Rock for him when i've time to capture some!

Back