Ariel Helwani disappointed with McGregor for use of slur

Status
Not open for further replies.
No smear the queer !!
That's not American dammit.
Absolutely one of the greatest games ever invented.
I love when people got scared and would throw the ball away before the pack caught them.
Sometimes you'd get smashed anyway haha. Good times.

true story.

my son is in 5th grade, and on a recent school outing, I discovered none of them knew what it was.

I had the whole 5th grade playing within 5 min.

next day I was called in to school to visit Principal, who explained the district banned the game 10yrs ago.

breaking news: black people are dancing monkeys, germans are nazis, mexicans are cockroaches

if only conors cardio was as on point as his racism

Should’ve happened when Conor called Siver a nazi imo.
agreed.

It's a shitty word, honestly. Language shifts, cultural interpretations and beliefs of things shifts. We can say, "well, he doesnt hate gay people. It's not about gay people." We dont think this way about the N word or any other racist or derogatory word. It slips out of my mouth once or twice a year and I'm instantly rolling my eyes at my self... it's a word that needs replacing.

Oh gee, Ariel is sensationalizing shit again. BIG surprise! Bisping used that word when he was telling off Rockhold at some point, (post fight press conference I think) and I don't remember Ariel saying anything that time.
I guess it wasn't a slow news day.

You don't have to be homosexual to have a stance against homophobic slurs. Grow up.

Grow a thicker skin. If it wasn't said to you or about you, you're being a wash woman.

Your value system is not better than anyone else's - it's just a series of indoctrined opinions in your melon.

And I reject the premise that it was used as a "homophobic slur"; it means a pussy in that context.

true story.

my son is in 5th grade, and on a recent school outing, I discovered none of them knew what it was.

I had the whole 5th grade playing within 5 min.

next day I was called in to school to visit Principal, who explained the district banned the game 10yrs ago.

Nazi bastards. They won't be happy till there isn't a testicle left in society.
You should just have them over on the weekend to play,haha.
Class full of kids with sprained ankles, bkack eyes and fat lips on Monday.

And I reject the premise that it was used as a "homophobic slur"; it means a pussy in that context.

Oh didnt you hear? you cant say pussy either. its derogatory and demeaning to women.... somehow... never figured it out.... cause that would mean I give a fuck :p

Grow a thicker skin. If it wasn't said to you or about you, you're being a wash woman.

Your value system is not better than anyone else's - it's just a series of indoctrined opinions in your melon.
I think it is you who needs thicker skin. You're spewing all of this irrelevant shit like a disgruntled female.

It doesn't have to be said to or about me for me to chime in. That's like saying I have to fight in the UFC to voice my opinion on anything regarding the UFC.

You're looking for an argument but you lack substance.

Where did I say or act like my "my value system" is better than anyone else's?

Last edited:
anyone defending Conor's use of the word is a fucking idiot. let's just get that out of the way, because it is not acceptable to use the word as a slur in that manner...PERIOD.

having said that, we need to be intelligent enough to distinguish between what Conor said and actual "hate speech"...while still not giving Conor a free pass just because he's not some crazy hateful bigot.

The word is used as a slur for a reason: it has a very negative connotation. Calling a man a fa**ot is meant to hurt...it's meant to imply they are 'less of a man', with the underlying implication is that that gays are lesser men. This is no more acceptable than using racial slurs.

Conor does not need to be subjected to some harsh punishment, as it would serve little purpose...but he should be made to acknowledge and apologize for his very poor choice of words.

tl;dr - Context matters...but it doesn't grant anyone a free pass.

Wow, what is the world coming to?

I like Ariel's instigator gimmick but come on. Only do it when it makes sense.

that was far worse, and harder to explain away.
but I still didn't care.

Ariel "addressed" it with the ole "public people aren't allowed private convos" horseshit
Lol no, he said even Sterling had to apologize and his conversation was much more private. Conor was actually in public. Sterling didn't even use a slur either.

anyone defending Conor's use of the word is a fucking idiot. let's just get that out of the way, because it is not acceptable to use the word as a slur in that manner...PERIOD.

having said that, we need to be intelligent enough to distinguish between what Conor said and actual "hate speech"...while still not giving Conor a free pass just because he's not some crazy hateful bigot.

The word is used as a slur for a reason: it has a very negative connotation. Calling a man a fa**ot is meant to hurt...it's meant to imply they are 'less of a man', with the underlying implication is that that gays are lesser men. This is no more acceptable than using racial slurs.

Conor does not need to be subjected to some harsh punishment, as it would serve little purpose...but he should be made to acknowledge and apologize for his very poor choice of words.

tl;dr - Context matters...but it doesn't grant anyone a free pass.
Yea. Basically he should apologize and make some symbolic reparation. Conor fucked up, but he's not the problem: https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/5/...reland-gay-marriage-referendum-we-all-deserve

He's got a little Luke Thomas in him I see.

Yep . . . Luke was whining about this the other day on Twitter and I'm sure did the same yesterday and/or today on his show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back