Baltimore cop caught red-handed planting drugs, by his own body camera.

Holy shit! I feel like a child that was just told that Santa is not real. I am going to read the article, but I wanted to comment first. They should be fired! No question about it.

Oh, but that's after all three get arrested and charged with, oh let's see: false imprisonment, whatever the equivalent is for false swearing or perjury(for the criminal complaint), and as an extra fuck you, possession of narcotics. And all of these under color of law crimes, so they actually spend time in a penitentiary. I am actually sick to my stomach right now. Maybe they are telling themselves that it was to get a bad person off of the street(I am making an assumption there, but I doubt they would do this for some schmo slinging dime bags to college kids, that or this was something very personal), but this was so blatant, so brazen, I am really having trouble with this. I also just thought of some more crime- If they did it to get a warrant, burglary, and I am assuming they pointed their guns at people if they kicked in the door, maybe wanton endangerment or brandishing.

And, I am also having trouble with this on a different level, how could they pin this on someone? This is a back yard that anyone has access to, so this is also a shitty job because there is no way this would stick in court for just that reason. What a bunch of fucking assholes. Stupid fucking assholes that can't even plant drugs without fucking up. Now I have to go and read the story to see what happens.

Holy shit! I feel like a child that was just told that Santa is not real. I am going to read the article, but I wanted to comment first. They should be fired! No question about it.

Oh, but that's after all three get arrested and charged with, oh let's see: false imprisonment, whatever the equivalent is for false swearing or perjury(for the criminal complaint), and as an extra fuck you, possession of narcotics. And all of these under color of law crimes, so they actually spend time in a penitentiary. I am actually sick to my stomach right now. Maybe they are telling themselves that it was to get a bad person off of the street(I am making an assumption there, but I doubt they would do this for some schmo slinging dime bags to college kids, that or this was something very personal), but this was so blatant, so brazen, I am really having trouble with this. I also just thought of some more crime- If they did it to get a warrant, burglary, and I am assuming they pointed their guns at people if they kicked in the door, maybe wanton endangerment or brandishing.

And, I am also having trouble with this on a different level, how could they pin this on someone? This is a back yard that anyone has access to, so this is also a shitty job because there is no way this would stick in court for just that reason. What a bunch of fucking assholes. Stupid fucking assholes that can't even plant drugs without fucking up. Now I have to go and read the story to see what happens.
Dealers never carry the drugs on their person and will keep them stashed close by. They would easily pin it on the guy if he has any kind of record.

Now I have to go and read the story to see what happens.
Lassie alerts someone, and Timmy is freed from the well. Reports are circulating though of Timmy getting grounded after being told not to fuck around by said well.

If true, I agree.

If this was some known criminal--he would be easy enough to catch legally in the future.

Sounds like one person should go to prison and anyone they can prove was aware of it and going along with it should be fired.

They should all go to prison. If you watch another cop plant drugs to set another guy up and do nothing, you deserve to be right there in prison with him.

I miss the days of Stringer Bell and Avon Barksdale, of Bunk and Jimmy Mcnulty.

I read today that the cop who put Eric Garner in what turned out to be a fatal choke hold is still employed with the NYPD and makes $118k per year. Cops make plenty relative to their level of education, experience, etc. I also find it funny how cops themselves and their supporters are supposed to be conservative but want the taxpayers to foot the bill for higher salaries and pensions, etc. Taxpayers also have to pay for all of their numerous fuck ups and the large settlements that accompany them.

That said, I don't want to totally shit on your post and you do raise some solid points. But yeah, being a cop is a high-salary blue-collar job, ample opportunity for overtime, free food, etc. So I'm not sure if low pay is the issue. Granted, if you work at some backwater PD then maybe it is. But then again, living costs are lower there and no one's forcing them to take that job.
Good post.

First of all, I don't know this cops rank, tenure etc. I started off at about half off that pay, however due to OT I made fairly close. I can see a 15 year + vet making that easy with OT and even more if they are at or past LT status. Regardless, that cop should probably not be an officer anymore.

I don't want the taxpayers to foot the bill anymore than what we currently have but people want better cops? Ok, don't increase pay... HIRE more so we don't have guys running around at 60 hours a week, burning out, dealing with trash calling them WHITE SHIT and at the same time calling them racist.

So no, being a cop is not really high-salary. Sure it's fairly easy to get into, but it's even harder to maintain and be a good or even great cop. You start lowering the salary of cops and oh man, good fucking luck out there!

I read today that the cop who put Eric Garner in what turned out to be a fatal choke hold is still employed with the NYPD and makes $118k per year. Cops make plenty relative to their level of education, experience, etc. I also find it funny how cops themselves and their supporters are supposed to be conservative but want the taxpayers to foot the bill for higher salaries and pensions, etc. Taxpayers also have to pay for all of their numerous fuck ups and the large settlements that accompany them.

That said, I don't want to totally shit on your post and you do raise some solid points. But yeah, being a cop is a high-salary blue-collar job, ample opportunity for overtime, free food, etc. So I'm not sure if low pay is the issue. Granted, if you work at some backwater PD then maybe it is. But then again, living costs are lower there and no one's forcing them to take that job.

First, cops come in all colors and all political varieties.

While the minimum requirements(high school diploma) are laughable, the job eats most people up and spits them out. Good cops are worth a much higher salary, and great cops are not paid nearly enough. Keep in mind that a higher salary may just be the difference between a cop calling it quits at 15 years versus gutting it out to finish their careers. Also, good cops are recruited by other agencies, so if you want to keep your good cops, you have to pay for them. The shitty part of that coin is that you end up paying shitty cops as well.

You were correct when you said back water cops make shit pay. I recently went to a training session where the chief of police was making 13 hour. He asked me about my pay as a lieutenant, and he guessed 18/hour. I felt so bad for him, especially since our cops start at 20. With that said, I still think I am underpaid, but I am a lieutenant responsible for a district of 15k people and most of the shootings, I have 3 people in a department of 72 that are above me. So, yeah, I want more money!

To build on Palis' post, I would like to see increased wages, incentives for college degrees or military background, and I want the profession to be more competitive, not only against other professions, but within all police departments. I think having that competition would make the city, county, or state have to fight for good quality applicants. You should see how departments fight over minority applicants or quality females. A great quality black male or a high quality female(bonus points if she is cute) are like saquatches. You hear tales about someone seeing them, but....never mind.

Right now, it is tough to get people to sign up to take the tests, let alone pass them. And if they do pass, including their polygraph, they have to make it through the academy. Since January, we have lost 4 that quit during the academy.

My point with that last bit, is if the job was more attractive in both pay and bennies, then maybe police departments could get enough officers to swell their ranks and could afford to get rid of the shitty or lazy officers. For the decent people that just suck at being a uniform cop, I am sure we could find something for them to do. But right now, we have them answering calls when we would probably be better off letting the k-9(I mean the dog) handing calls for service.

I just read the article. So their defense is that they were recreating the scene where they found the stash. This was after seeing a hand to hand exchange, and the arrest of the dealer and buyer. So it's plausible that they did not bring heroin to plant on some guy. However, they still tried to pass this off as actual footage to be used as evidence. They still need charged and lock up-all of them. They would have been fine detailing how and when they found the stash, rather than "recreating" the discovery. Still pisses me off, but less than when I thought that they brought drugs to plant on someone.

Lassie alerts someone, and Timmy is freed from the well. Reports are circulating though of Timmy getting grounded after being told not to fuck around by said well.

What about the part where Timmy planted the rattlesnake in the barn?

Dealers never carry the drugs on their person and will keep them stashed close by. They would easily pin it on the guy if he has any kind of record.

Yeah, I am kind of aware of that, but proximity would play a big part of that. I made that statement before reading any info about this case. I just watched the video. I was unsure if they used it to get a warrant, or just to charge the guy. But I am telling you that any decent lawyer would beat that charge because this is an area that is accessible by anyone. If they were chasing the guy and found him hiding in that yard, or saw him around that trash pile, then you have something. Maybe the unique packaging could seal the deal if they found the same drug packaged the same way on his person. But simply finding the drugs in the yard with no other ties to the suspect would yield squat.

I just read the article. So their defense is that they were recreating the scene where they found the stash. This was after seeing a hand to hand exchange, and the arrest of the dealer and buyer. So it's plausible that they did not bring heroin to plant on some guy. However, they still tried to pass this off as actual footage to be used as evidence. They still need charged and lock up-all of them. They would have been fine detailing how and when they found the stash, rather than "recreating" the discovery. Still pisses me off, but less than when I thought that they brought drugs to plant on someone.
Sounds like a shit lie to save their asses after the fact. Either way they introduced false evidence into an investigation. Whether it is heroin or a video they lied to send a man to cage. Fuck them.

Yeah, I am kind of aware of that, but proximity would play a big part of that. I made that statement before reading any info about this case. I just watched the video. I was unsure if they used it to get a warrant, or just to charge the guy. But I am telling you that any decent lawyer would beat that charge because this is an area that is accessible by anyone. If they were chasing the guy and found him hiding in that yard, or saw him around that trash pile, then you have something. Maybe the unique packaging could seal the deal if they found the same drug packaged the same way on his person. But simply finding the drugs in the yard with no other ties to the suspect would yield squat.
That takes a lawyer with skill and a defendant that can pay for one

What about the part where Timmy planted the rattlesnake in the barn?
CNN ticker reads "a young country bumkin fell down a well for a second time while out picking a switch, local dog bitten by rabid racoon wearing a trump hat..."

Tough going.

That is really concerning. And, why would you plant evidence when you know you're on camera?
He didn't know he was on camera.

When he was planting the drugs, the body-camera was not ON.
He planted the drugs , went back to the road anf then turned his body camera ON.

Unknown to him, the camera is designed to retain 30 seconds of footage preceding the moment it is turned on.

Sounds like a ridiculous lie.

Agreed. Cameras should be rolling from the moment the officer leaves the precinct. That's how I'd want it if I were a LEO.

The camera should be running all the time, they shouldn't even have the option to turn it on or off. That bs happened again with that shooting in Minnesota. Multiple officers, supposedly none of them had cameras on. That is not an acceptable excuse anymore

Sounds like a shit lie to save their asses after the fact. Either way they introduced false evidence into an investigation. Whether it is heroin or a video they lied to send a man to cage. Fuck them.

I am not absolving them from what they did. I think that their defense could be corroborated, but there is nothing that will save them or this case, or prevent this man from getting a big settlement. It might not make sense to you, but for me, getting some of the background made me feel a bit better. I was seriously feeling ill after watching that because the idea that three cops would plan to arrest someone by planting that evidence sort of made me feel real icky about my profession. I am still not happy, but I feel a bit better. It will still hurt the profession because of these assholes and their "recreation" of the discovery of the heroin, even if they are found to be telling the truth about that, their credibility and the credibility of all law enforcement officers took a hit on this one.

Back