Black folks react to Megadeth's "Holy Wars"

I'm playing the main riff right now.
It's so satisfying, it's got a tight metal swing to it.

That entire album (minus Dawn Patrol) is purest metal glory.

Best speed metal band of all.
I happen to love dawn patrol

You know you're my bud, but I couldn't disagree with you more right now. Not that marty isn't an amazing lead. Hell, Dave, Dave, Marty and Nick was the goat lineup.

haha I know, that's my favorite Megadeth lineup, the current lineup edges right behind that one IMO. but as amazing Mustaine is with his song writing, singing & as a lyricist, to me the weakest area of his is with his guitar solos.

The best description of the Dave Mustaine / his lead players dynamic I've heard:
Mustaine gets it done by brute force and beer.
His lead players are an education.

Incidentally, go listen to the song Burnt Ice.
The last forty seconds are brutal dual guitar beauty. TELL me Dave isn't a good player.
I can't help but think that Lars and James know they kicked out a far better player than they hired to replace, the moment he was on the bus back to LA.

haha I know, that's my favorite Megadeth lineup, the current lineup edges right behind that one IMO. but as amazing Mustaine is with his song writing, singing & as a lyricist, to me the weakest area of his is with his guitar solos.
I just started learning Dave's spider chording a few months ago.
It's wicked awesome

The best description of the Dave Mustaine / his lead players dynamic I've heard:
Mustaine gets it done by brute force and beer.
His lead players are an education.

Incidentally, go listen to the song Burnt Ice.
The last forty seconds are brutal dual guitar beauty. TELL me Dave isn't a good player.
I can't help but think that Lars and James know they kicked out a far better player than they hired to replace, the moment he was on the bus back to LA.
They know Dave is the better guitarist. It was ego. I'm glad they kicked him out. Megadeth is way better.

They know Dave is the better guitarist. It was ego. I'm glad they kicked him out. Megadeth is way better.
Same here.
On my own without instruction, I'm Kirk Hammett level. And he's seemingly the nicest guy in the world.
But Dave is next level. Not simply faster with better articulation either.

Megadeth is absolutely better than Metallica in pretty much every way. They were more musically advanced by Peace Sells, certainly. Every song had multiple sections and tempo changes, intelligently constructed solos, interesting middle eights.
I put that down to Dave being a big Beatles fan.

I enjoy Metallica's ride the lightning more than any megadeth. Rust In peace is so goddamned awesome that its probably right up there though. Dave has something to do with both albums being as amazing as they were,this is really his heyday..but wherever metallica went,Dave tried to top them,and he never really could. Shoulda just did his own thing. Rust in peace is the last great megadeth album.

Megadeth has actually a few of "radio friendly" songs for new fans to get into, Holy Wars isn't one of them.

Trust
Symphony of Destruction
She Wolf
Almost Honest

come to mind.

I'd much rather watch black folks reach to Dave Mustaine's political views post-rehab and religious conversion.

Dave's singing probably held them back as Hetfield's voice is a bit more "palatable" to the mainstream..but goddamn his lyrics have gotten increasingly worse and more cringeworthy over the long period from LOAD onward.

I still bother with Metallica up until death magnetic,which I thought was ok. I don't even fucks with any megadeth past cryptic writings,and I am not a fan of that record either. Both bands have their moments here and there past 90s..but..ugh.

I can't imagine someone saying that Dave isn't a great guitar player unless they were trolling.
Well, he's a bit sloppy... as he says, "Practice hard, I don't."

But it's just a fact that one guy's unpracticed sloppy is as good or better than another guy might get with tons of woodshedding.

"I've heard guys imitate me so closely, they copy my mistakes."
- Jimi

Megadeth has actually a few of "radio friendly" songs for new fans to get into, Holy Wars isn't one of them.

Trust
Symphony of Destruction
She Wolf
Almost Honest

come to mind.
Sweating Bullets maybe?

I enjoy Metallica's ride the lightning more than any megadeth. Rust In peace is so goddamned awesome that its probably right up there though. Dave has something to do with both albums being as amazing as they were,this is really his heyday..but wherever metallica went,Dave tried to top them,and he never really could. Shoulda just did his own thing. Rust in peace is the last great megadeth album.
Symphony of Destruction isn't so bad eh?

Sweating Bullets maybe?
I hate the songs with extended talking parts or prerecorded segments.
There are some songs I don't listen to because he runs some idiotic "teevee announcer" type recording underneath the music.
"Dave... do you really think people want to hear this shit every time they listen to the song?"
Apparently the answer is yes, since they use those same recordings in concert performances.

LOL at Dave never being able to top Metallica.
Musically he did that early.
Sales, sure.
He was the best guitar player in that band and best songwriter.

Lyrically they're almost equally juvenile, I'll give ya that, but Dave's lyrics are still better

Back