Social Black Panther (War Room Discussion)

An all black cast is often a good way to make a lot of money and have a big success. Smart move by Disney. The Black communities' spending power is most impressive, I believe they made up 37% of ticket buyers.

I loved this fucking movie as a kid, and no one celebrated it for having a black guy as the lead character...? It was just appreciated, or hated, based on it's individual merit.

blade-movie-poster-1998-1020474001.jpg
It stands the test of time.

Not too much to add to the convo except I saw it last night with my son.

I fell asleep in the middle of and was awoken by an usher asking me to put my feet down as I had them up on the chair in front of me.

I'd give it a 4/10 personally

Solid 7 or 8/10, not the greatest movie ever like people were making it out to be. Was some SJW stuff but not enough to make you throw up. MBJ was a great villian, even if he did basically wanna start a race war (is that any worse than wanting to take over the universe or destroy it? I bet if he were a white villian, liberals would think so)
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Has a superhero ever come that close to being killed? until forrest jumped in to save him, tachalla was about 6 inches away from being killed by MBJ.

I understand it was cool to see an all black cast where everyone wasn't ghetto as hell, but people were actually taking pride in a made up country?

While I agree that it's dumb that people are somehow upset by this superhero movie, I find the African Pride angle pretty silly as well. Wakanda is a fictional African nation that is walled off and protected from the rest of Africa [and, presumably, other colonialism]. Wakandans aren't proud of being African, they're proud of being Wakandan.
tachalla was alt right as hell

plus can we please stop calling americans who were born ij America and their parents and grandparents and great great... African American. How the hell you take pride in a made up country on a continent you never even been on? people arent willing to take a vacation to Africa, but take pride in a fake African city in a movie?

tachalla was alt right as hell

plus can we please stop calling americans who were born ij America and their parents and grandparents and great great... African American. How the hell you take pride in a made up country on a continent you never even been on? people arent willing to take a vacation to Africa, but take pride in a fake African city in a movie?

How about you don't get to tell people what to do with their own identities, sport.

I did a search in this thread and came up with nothing for Joe Rogan's take, which i thought was pretty good:

He echo's the point I made about Blade - but raises an interesting question.

Have we legitimately deteriorated in race-relations since 1998, when Blade was released?

20 years later, a whole new generation, and we're MORE racist? What the fuck happened?

How about you don't get to tell people what to do with their own identities, sport.
Im not telling them what to do with their identities, Im just commenting on how stupid they are. Just like how men who have no clue how or what it is to a a woman say they "think they are suppose to be a woman". Cool dog, you be you, but Im still saying that is stupid as shit.

Have we legitimately deteriorated in race-relations since 1998, when Blade was released?

20 years later, a whole new generation, and we're MORE racist? What the fuck happened?

Self loathing whites, overtly racist blacks, identity politics bullshit, racist white assholes, facebook = form to become live dog

I think there's an unfair, established advantage of "white oppression" that is backed by the government in every tangible financial, leg-up way. To ever admit that things evened out a long time ago means giving up a lot. It seriously takes a lot of work to fan the myth of current mass oppression.

I mean even look at Martin Luther King's famous speech. It was a well-organized, guarded (by white officers even) platform. I'm not saying there wasn't a lot of shit going on then (particularly in the deep south), but 5 decades later you could fill a phone book with all the black lobby (and even hate groups), exponentially more than any other race in America, including whites.

In my opinion, the movement turned from a civil rights and equality to militancy of almost an aggessive warring mindset with Farakhan's million man march and subsequent mimicked events.

On top of those points, I think there has been a many decade long mental shift from introspection and the spiritual/mental war one has against their fallen nature/the flesh, to a focus on external oppression and the demonization of those outside of the tribe defined by skin color.

Probably the biggest factors as far as I'm concerned are: black community single mother rate/fatherlessness of 70% or more:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/08/...inorities.html?referer=https://www.google.ca/

And the rejection of the Christian base paradigm of: a fallen nature, the need for a savior, the Fatherhood of God and his love demonstrated to all through Jesus self-sacrificial death, burial and resurrection (defeating sin, death and hell).

Finally, Obama's administration was marked by identity politics and the growth and strengthening of far left black and Islamic groups that seemed (accurately) as an extension of Nation of Islam and decades of unfettered power-lust and domination of American politics and culture.

Trump was a pretty mild pushback, but it's been exaggrated a hubdred-fold when in reality it's been largely reasonable.

Also, I want to mention mass props to the Christian black community and other blacks who've also noticed an unhealthy, irrational shift from civil rights and equality to one of warring, entitlement and power grabbing (extreme tribalism).

Is there fault still on the part of a small minority of whites and non-blacks? Sure. But I think a massive share of the blame leads straight back to the Nation of Islam and the end game of domination of American culture and it's political system.

Here is a recent article , that criticizes the CGI in BP. Haven't seen BP, and no plans to, so do not know if the criticism is legit. I will say though, I prefer practical effects over CGI always. There is good CGI, which we sometimes do not notice, but CGI should be used only if there really isn't a safe and realistic way to portray a scene.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apos-black-panther-apos-amazing-140000604.html

Here is a recent article , that criticizes the CGI in BP. Haven't seen BP, and no plans to, so do not know if the criticism is legit. I will say though, I prefer practical effects over CGI always. There is good CGI, which we sometimes do not notice, but CGI should be used only if there really isn't a safe and realistic way to portray a scene.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apos-black-panther-apos-amazing-140000604.html

I much prefer real effects over CGI, just as you put it.

Black Panther is a milestone in film history. Finally we get to see PoC represented as not just heroes, but actually superheroes in a brave and stunning display. The movie itself is definitely a 10/10 when it comes to entertainment, but it runs much deeper than that. I will be able to tell my PoC brothers and sisters that we are here now, we matter. We won't be silenced any longer. The era of white washed films is over. Wad has been blown.

Haven’t seen it, but I plan to. I used to read Black Panther as a kid and was looking forward to this.

I do get a giggle out of all the press this gets. It’s salesmanship at its finest. I understand that minorities have been a difficult demographics for comic books to reach, but it seems they finally cracked the code. I mean, Jesus Christ, grown men are crying in movie theaters over a story I read in comic books as a kid. All you need is a minority lead/cast, and some friendly press to tell everyone how important a 50 year old story is.

Now people of all ethnicity are not just giving their money to the rich white guys that own Disney and Marvel, but are considering it a virtue to do so. It can be halfway annoying I guess, but you cannot deny the genius in their marketing.

It sounds like an entertaining flick, and I will watch it for that. You are a fool though if you think it’s importance goes beyond a bunch of rich people using a (successful) sales pitch to get your money.

It is interesting because i legit see you as the flip slide of the meetoo and far left movements and trolls and part and parcel of the problem.

Not trying to flame you here and being quite serious as it seems you can almost not help yourself in trying to inflame topics and troll those you think are on the far left. And these issues largely disappear without the trolls on each extreme faking battles with one another.

I didn't bother watching it. I already know the plot, the evil white man plans to desecrate the majestic African country and ruin the picture perfect kingdom of africa and black panther, his white woman love interest, and nerdy white liberal cuckold side kick have ro stop him.

Yes.
Identity politics happened.

I didn't bother watching it. I already know the plot, the evil white man plans to desecrate the majestic African country and ruin the picture perfect kingdom of africa and black panther, his white woman love interest, and nerdy white liberal cuckold side kick have ro stop him.

You guessed wrong

Back