Boxing Gloves vs MMA Gloves

The Adder

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Why wasn't Ngannou able to take punches like nothing from boxing "pillow" gloves?
Ngannou was known for having a granite chin when hit by MMA "baby" gloves.
I was always told by MMA experts that the only reason MMA fighters appeared to have weak chins was because MMA gloves created more power somehow.
Is this another very convenient MMA myth getting exposed?

Why wasn't Ngannou able to take punches like nothing from boxing "pillow" gloves?
I was always told by MMA experts that the only reason MMA fighters appeared to have weak chins was because MMA gloves created more power somehow.
Because Anthony Joshua hits really hard. You can't compare the punches of different fighters in different gloves. You'd have to compare the same fighter.

Boxers know how to punch unlike of most MMA fighters. Shocker, i know.
Lol there are pillow punchers in boxing too.. Punching power is not as simple as " being a boxer ". Otherwise Fury should have done what Joshua did tonight because Fury is known as a better boxer than Joshua..

Mayweather wouldn't hit any harder with 4 oz gloves on or Paulie Malignaggi

As said, its technique, and knowing how to throw your weight into a punch. It's not trained in MMA due to the threat of being taken down.

The myth got started because of the Rocky movies

A. Boxers punch harder
B. Even a good chinned boxer wasn’t taking that shot.
C. Ngannou’s chin was severely overrated by the mma people. Not saying he has bad chin, but he’s really only been hit in a couple of fights. In the first blaydes fight he didn’t react well to taking the jab, and in the stipe 1 fight. Stipe landed 1 punch in the rematch, and it staggered ngannou…..guys get hit more in 1 fight sometimes than Francis has in his career.

Put a pillow on their fist and they'd still knock you the hell out. Boxers are the best punchers and it's zero surprise. Plus, how many times has Ngannou truly been hit? Nobody ever hit him like that in the UFC.

Boxing gloves do dissipate a bit of the impact when compared to mma gloves. And boxing gloves do provide more coverage for defensive purposes. But that doesn't mean you can take a direct shot to the jaw from a 250 pound powerhouse like Anthony Joshua.

Francis doesn't have a bad chin. He has novice defensive principles.

Ngannou wasn’t getting hit by someone like AJ in MMA.

There is probably a "diminishing returns" or something like that for gloves size, afaik, boxing uses bigger gloves with heavier weight class, like if its somehow "safer" im guessing, but unless they are crazy big and soft it will still hurt, probably not at a superficial level, but with mass & speed you see what they can do, also they are able to put more power behind their punches than the average MMA puncher, physics alone should show us a heavier mass moving at the same speed should carry more power, boxing gloves are heavier than MMA gloves, if the speed can be equal its a stronger punch, what do i know, im just trying to make some sense here, a main and overlooked fact is the defense of boxers is better, thats why there are so many KO's in MMA as opposed to boxing, when defense is poor you get more KO's, its not the glove, its the fighter.

Back