News BREAKING NEWS Yoel Romero Out Of The UFC!!!!

That’s why I highly doubt it, but you never know, maybe Dana saw it more as prudent, A, he doesn’t have to pay Yoel, and honestly Yoel had his chance in the ufc, but yeah, that sounds almost too charitable for Dana, but it’s the season,

If Yoel failed a test then he'd not have to pay him either but could keep him under contract. I spose with what happened with Wanderlei might make Dana a bit more wary of doing that kind of thing, especially with the monopoly court case still going on. Could be Yoel was simply injured and at that point the UFC lost confidence in him.

Matchup wise you've got to think Yoel doesnt have THAT long left anyway and fighting say Mousasi and Nemkov in Bellator seems as good a use of what time he had left as what he'd be doing in the UFC.

This whole year has pretty much made me numb to bad news at this point.

It would seem a bit strange to release him in that situation though, normally the UFC doesn't do that with valuable fighters as by keeping them under contract they can stop them fighting to anyone else.
He's not the normal 43 year old but if he got 2 years maybe Dana just figured at 45 they would be better off going there separate ways since his last performance pretty much ended any hopes of him fighting for a title again. Him pulling out of that Hall fight was really weird tho, you rarely see a high profile fighter pull out of a fight with no details given why he pulled out, and then no word of any upcoming fights. I think he popped.

No that is Unfair He only lost to the Champ and the Top contenders so why did they release him ?

not surprised after his last performance, he didn't do anything against israel besides ditty boxin and staring him for five rounds.
I am surprised that they did not cut him right after the fight with Izzy

Bellator and ONE are sweating their hands in signing them right now,

Bad move here by the UFC.

I think Shogun and Glover will be next to be release, Silva and Romero will probably be gone to other promotion.

A couple things:

1. @Rear Naked Toke and others mention "Live gate" for reasons for UFC decisions (Conor not fighting, Yoel leaving the UFC, etc.) yet more often than not, the gate has ZERO to do with anything.

In 2019 the UFC had total revenue of about $900M, yet the live gate was only about $70M of that $900M (so only about 7.8%).

THE best live gate year was 2016, when Conor fought 3 times and he was at the absoute peak of his drawing power (UFC 205 had a live gate of $17.7M whereas the average UFC event has a live gate of more like $1.7M). While that $17.7M sounds impressive, that is far from the norm, even for Conor. At #2 all time was Khabib-Conor with $17.2M, #3 was GSP-Shield with $12.1M way back in 2011, and #4 was McGregor-Cerrone which sold $11M and gate totals keep dropping from there.

Hell, in the list of Nevada's Top 35 UFC live gates, only 3 were in 2019 (the highest being $6M) and only 2 were in 2018 (Khabib -Conor @ 17.2M and DC-Stipe @ $5.7M).

# of Nevada Top 35 Live Gates (UFC) by year:
  • 2019 - 3
  • 2018 - 2
  • 2017 - 0
  • 2016 - 4
  • 2015 - 5
  • 2014 - 1
  • 2013 - 3
  • 2012 - 2
  • 2011 - 2
  • 2010 - 2
  • 2009 - 2
  • 2008 - 3
  • 2007 - 2
  • 2006 - 3 (2 of which were #34 & #35, each bringing in less than $3.4M)

Put another way, live gate by year has been:
  • 2019 - Approx. $70M total from 42 events ($1.7M average)
  • 2018 - $66.8M from 39 events ($1.7M average - $1.3M average without the Conor card)
  • 2017 - $44.7M from 39 events ($1.1M average)
  • 2016 - $88.8M from 41 events ($2.2M average)
So Live gate averages well less than $2M per event, and that's why the UFC is on pace to have their most profitable year ever in 2020, even though Conor hasn't fought and there's a pandemic with no live audiences.

2. There are a number of possibe reasons for Yoel leaving the UFC:
  • He could've failed a test and due to pressure/circumstances Malki was able to get him released.
  • He (via Malki) could have pressured to get out of the contract, and rather than test how binding the contract in court, the UFC decided to just let him go.
  • The UFC could have cut him due to costs (though that's not unheard of for the UFC to cut someone with fights remaining on their contract, it has been done). If they feel that his value doesn't warrant offering him fights, then cutting him is a smarter PR move than having a contentious problem of a disgruntled fighter, with ties to so many other UFC fighters, dragging things out into the open via media.
To me the interesting thing is the words used. It's not reported that he was "cut", but that they "parted ways". That means (to me) that it was an empass of sorts and that the UFC felt it was in their best interest to not be drug through the mud publicly. Whether Yoel and the UFC differ on his pay, he popped for another "tainted supplement", or if finding him an opponent is challenging, or most likely because the UFC said in no uncertain terms that he will not get another title shot, and so Yoel would rather walk. Whatever the cause I'm POSITIVE the UFC did what's best for them, and therefore they feel that having Yoel leave the UFC and immediately be available to competitors (assuming there's no pending failed USADA result) was the best for the UFC.

Which brings me to one final possible reason. If Yoel wants out of the UFC, and I could see that if he really wants to become Champ before retiring then he has to go elsewhere, allowing him to "amicably" leave is in the best interest of the UFC. So far the UFC has avoided any real legal troubles with contracts, I.C. classifications, shady practices, monopoly, etc. But, eventually someone will file a more valid case and allowing Yoel to leave will be a nice data point to use to defend their practices/behavior. That and it's keeps things from turning ugly in public.

Yoel's out of the UFC = Jones and his "substantial assistance" strikes again!
<JonesLaugh><JonesDXSuckIt><JonesLaugh>
I claim the gate as being largely significant as it is most likely the primary revenue used to cover fight purses, event staff, flights, hotels, etc., and has been known to surpass net PPV revenue.

The lack of crowds also takes away merchandise sales during an event, which is no doubt a significant loss in and of itself. Also, gates are easier to forecast the net on and the funds become available much faster than PPV sales.

Venues are paid a flat fee for use. Ticket vendors get a small percentage of sales, UFC gets the rest. The cost/expense margin is much better than PPV sales.

PPV providers typically get 50% of sales, and UFC PPVs are primarily only sold in North America, and not every event is a PPV. However, every single event would typically have a live gate and merch sales.

PPV events are available elsewhere around the world either for free or included in a subscription to a premium sports channel/package, due to drastic time zone variances.

A PPV that does 500k buys, selling for $60 is a $30 million dollar gross. After the provider's cut, $15 million, less if you have a fighter or a couple fighters taking a dollar or two per sale. Now subtract taxes to get your net and the gate and merch sales become much more significant.

Dana's hesitation to book Conor without a gate was sincere and probably one of his most honest moments.

None of any of that took into consideration overhead costs of daily operations in general.

Not to mention the absurd amounts of money WME is hemorrhaging out to their celebrity investors on a frequent basis.

Gates are a big deal.

On the note of Yoel. Imo your thoughts on Yoel's perceived value versus the size of his paycheck are likely what put him out. Both sides were probably working for some kind of middle ground for Yoel to continue with the UFC and just couldn't come to terms.

That’s what happens when you fight like a knob during a title fight

Wasn't he rumored to be fighting Cannonier just recently? This came out of nowhere.

What do you think happened? He asked for too much money?

Back