Buying a new watch; which brand(s) do you recommend?

You’re missing Grand Seiko. Just beautiful watches. I just ordered a new (both used) speedmaster pro and a Grand Seiko 3 days ago. I am so excited for both, but especially the Grand Seiko. Won’t need to buy any more watches ever again. Have Breitling Superocean 44 for beating around, speedy for just regular use, and GS for dress watch/regular use. Those 3 all I need unless I became super rich one day somehow.

But yes, used is good. The speedy and GS I just bought go for roughly $10k retail. But I got them for 7k used but looking brand new.

Laco is nice too, I have a Laco Venedig 42mm that is fun to wear. But I really regret getting the 42 instead of the 45 considering it’s a Pilot and I have larger wrists anyways.

Did you get the snowflake? I have been wanting to get one as the spring drive is really cool but I really do prefer butterfly clasps on my bracelets and unfortunately no butterfly.

You’re missing Grand Seiko. Just beautiful watches. I just ordered a new (both used) speedmaster pro and a Grand Seiko 3 days ago. I am so excited for both, but especially the Grand Seiko. Won’t need to buy any more watches ever again. Have Breitling Superocean 44 for my durable/beater (not true beater, as I’d use my Steinhart Ti GMT for anything truly reckless), speedy for just regular use, and GS for dress watch/regular use. Those 3 all I need unless I became super rich one day somehow.

But yes, used is good. The speedy and GS I just bought go for roughly $10k retail. But I got them for 7k used but looking brand new.

Laco is nice too, I have a Laco Venedig 42mm that is fun to wear. But I really regret getting the 42 instead of the 45 considering it’s a Pilot and I have larger wrists anyways.

Yep, GS is an oversight. The sweep on them is pretty much perfect.

The thing with Lacos is due to how thin the bezel is, they wear larger than you'd think. I have a 7.5" wrist which is quite large. It wears like a 44 or 46mm.

Did you get the snowflake? I have been wanting to get one as the spring drive is really cool but I really do prefer butterfly clasps on my bracelets and unfortunately no butterfly.

No I didn’t unfortunately. I got the SBGR307 (whereas the snowflake is SBGA211). The single largest reason is because the 307 is 42mm and I’ve got a large wrist being 6’8” so i need a larger watch.

vs the snowflake:
-42mm which I had to have even though snowflake is barely smaller at 41
-SS rather than titanium
-it’s their automatic instead of the spring drive (which I saw some people actually preferred)
-$4600 instead of $5800 new, and the deal I found made the difference even larger

The snowflake dial looks a little better in my opinion. And I like the look of their power reserve which the 307 doesn’t have. But this will be my new dress watch when on black leather band and the 307 is more bare and cleaner. I also really wanted the spring drive because it’s unique and partly why I wanted GS to begin with. But I’m excited regardless.

the 307:
https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/grand-seiko-sbgr307-silver-dial?

DZ7426_00QQQ_01_F.jpg

Cheaper than the price implied but my girl got me a Diesel watch for xmas. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

You're gonna spend up to $5k on a watch?

I wouldn't spend that even if I had money to burn.

I’m wearing my Seiko Sea Urchin today, and for a sub $200 watch, I think it’s great.B0339FBB-D33A-4FBB-87B5-340B69C53D15.jpeg

I’m wearing my Seiko Sea Urchin today, and for a sub $200 watch, I think it’s great.View attachment 718745
that's really nice man, i'm looking at this one right now:
$159 on amazon right now
s-l1600.jpg

i got this one last year:
imagesinitial21381862138186.jpg

I'm also looking at a seiko 5 automatic and an orient bambino open heart
bnib_seiko_5_automatic_21_jewels_made_in_japan_snkl41_snkl41j_snkl41j1_mens_watch_1529237738_24f89cf80

maxresdefault.jpg

I gave a few of my watches away for christmas, so i'm trying to fill up the spots in my watchbox.

Here are the ones in my current rotation:

Different angle with a rubber strap. I prefer the black contrast.

that's really nice man, i'm looking at this one right now:
$159 on amazon right now
s-l1600.jpg

i got this one last year:
imagesinitial21381862138186.jpg

I'm also looking at a seiko 5 automatic and an orient bambino open heart
bnib_seiko_5_automatic_21_jewels_made_in_japan_snkl41_snkl41j_snkl41j1_mens_watch_1529237738_24f89cf80

maxresdefault.jpg

I gave a few of my watches away for christmas, so i'm trying to fill up the spots in my watchbox.
That second last seiko 5 day date is gorgeous.

I've been saving up for a Casio F91-W for the last few years. Can't wait!

$_35.JPG

This morning I’m wearing my omega constellation from 1962. It was my Grandad’s watch. I just put it on a new nato strap. You can pick these up for around $1000, this one was designed by Gerald Genta (he designed the Royal Oak and the Nautilus)32A93C41-48BE-4C4E-9E23-B4DA4B6EEB0A.jpeg

If i had $2700 to spare, I'd get this Longines Automatic. I love chronographs

l2.816.4.53.2.jpg

Back