Can we stop trying to modify trick or treating?

Another great point! The whole pin in a candy bar is so fuckin rare. I’ve never know anyone in 40 years do have this problem. The problem is the gullible parents who seem to think this is a legitimate danger to their kids when it’s clearly not.

One year, in our teens, we actually poked holes in candy - snickers, mars, etc (We didn’t actually put anything in the candy). We were retarded, but at the time thought we were brilliant and laughed our asses off at the thought of people discovering the holes and freaking out. Haha. Definitely retarded.

No trick or treaters last night. I live in a residential but it’s a pretty uneven mix of families and people with no kids. I used to think Halloween’s were looking bad in recent years because kids weren’t as in to it but I actually now think there is less people willing to allow their home to look approachable on Halloween. Kind of like how neighbors don’t interact anymore… When and why did these things change? When I was growing up, everybody handed out candy in my neighborhood. Where i currently live, most of the neighborhood turns their lights off and tries to make it appear nobody is home and the kids go elsewhere…or worse their parent just take them around the neighborhood even though there is no action.

LOL @ 3-8 pm

Fuck that. The universal practice is that trick or treating starts when the sun goes down and ends at 9pm.

Unless you're in some time zone where people stay up later.
I don't know where you live but trick or treating seems to have nearly died out sometime in the later 00's. It used to be dark till 9pm but starting in the mid 00's it turned into 4 or 5 pm until 7pm at a rate of about 5% as many as during the 90's. I'm pretty sure that for zoomers halloween is something that exists more in their imaginations.

I’d be in favor of permanently making it the last Saturday of October. It’s not like the date has any real significance. Ours was until 8 but it was getting cold and I didn’t see anyone after 730. On a Sunday night that was late enough for me.

Oh I guess the Wiccan celebration of Samhain is just bullshit...
<3>

Oh I guess the Wiccan celebration of Samhain is just bullshit...
<3>
I’d say you guessed right. No one is celebrating that stuff. It’s been culturally appropriated and Halloween is now mostly about candy costumes and scary movies much like Christmas used to be a religious holiday but is mostly about buying stuff and horrible music.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d say you guessed right. No one is celebrating that stuff. It’s been culturally appropriated and Halloween is now mostly about candy costumes and scary movies much like Christmas used to be a religious holiday but is mostly about buying stuff and horrible music.

Horrible music??? @Sonny Qc you hear this???

I hate children so Halloween used to really suck for me. Fortunately I now live in a controlled access neighborhood so the brats can't get in and the few children in the neighborhood don't trick or treat. We all just give the security gate guys a little cash and they hand out candy and whatnot to any who show up.

I caught wind from a few people yesterday that my township had posted that trick or treating would be from 3-8 pm and they all seemed to be happy to comply. I also heard that in some areas they had Halloween on Saturday so it wasn’t on a school night. I find this stuff combined with trunk or treating really lame and frustrating. It seems like people are trying to regulate Halloween as if it’s this horrible treacherous holiday for kids.

I say let the kids go out whenever they want, let them go out at night, let them go to door in the right neighborhoods. Too many people are trying to sterilize Halloween and this fella doesn’t like it! Who’s with me!?

(Father of two toddlers here btw)

Some parents don't have the time to properly take their kids trick-or-treating so the trunk and treating setups make it easier for them . . . who cares when a neighborhood or city decides to hold trick-or-treating anyway?

It seems like kids in general are on a much shorter leash these days. I remember having to be a lot more independent when I was growing up. I don't remember parents obsessively helicoptering over us all of the time like they do to kids now. Kids have cell phones now too, so it's not like parents can't get a hold of them.

My guess parents are just more responsible these days (or don't care about Halloween)? My nephews usually goto bed pretty early (by 9:30PM latest). They trick or treated at my parents' neighborhood and we had to go quite early. Started at around 4PM or so but it was a bit colder and it drizzled some midway through. They got tired after going down one street and we went home to rest. The third one was taking a nap so we went out again for another 2 hours or so but yeah it's over pretty early. I bought extra candy but there weren't that many kids that stopped by. By near sunset I told trick or treaters to grab a handful (from 3 to 5 pieces of candy) cause we still had so much...

Some parents don't have the time to properly take their kids trick-or-treating so the trunk and treating setups make it easier for them . . . who cares when a neighborhood or city decides to hold trick-or-treating anyway?
What can be easier than walking out your front door?

These parents in my area are so damn lazy they're driving and in cars and golf carts. Taking kids house to house

I caught wind from a few people yesterday that my township had posted that trick or treating would be from 3-8 pm and they all seemed to be happy to comply. I also heard that in some areas they had Halloween on Saturday so it wasn’t on a school night. I find this stuff combined with trunk or treating really lame and frustrating. It seems like people are trying to regulate Halloween as if it’s this horrible treacherous holiday for kids.

I say let the kids go out whenever they want, let them go out at night, let them go to door in the right neighborhoods. Too many people are trying to sterilize Halloween and this fella doesn’t like it! Who’s with me!?

(Father of two toddlers here btw)
Agreed. LEAVE HALLOWEEN ALONE!

Back