Cassette Tapes

They’s still pressing vinyl records as the demand has gone up. I’m stilll buying them. I got a bluetooth turntable last year, and i still have a stack of vinyls that i started buying 40 years ago.

That is the only proper way to listen to Nightrain and Sweet Child o' Mine.
my first job, nightshift, on my Sony Walkman,

''loaded like a freight train, flyin like an aeroplane, feellin like a space brain, one more time tonight'' <5>

bring back the mini disc, you bastards! i still have some of those about.
The mini discs were a victim of bad timing. They were way more convenient than regular CD's, but by then everyone had just starting investing in regular CD's and were not about to change direction and start investing in a whole new format.

That is the only proper way to listen to Nightrain and Sweet Child o' Mine.

Still got my copy that I used to listen to on my Walkman in our loft with a load of other metal music cassettes...

The mini discs were a victim of bad timing. They were way more convenient than regular CD's, but by then everyone had just starting investing in regular CD's and were not about to change direction and start investing in a whole new format.

They were a victim of Sony's proprietary circle jerk. And I say that as an owner of the first HD consumer video camera that saved to MicroDV tapes.

I am so happy that SOny is such a turd of a company now. THey had brand ownership like no one else in the past but their bullshit of fucking with standards has caught up to them.

this is how worked in the 80s.

- buy album on vinyl
- go to friend's house with dad who was an audiophile and had the best home audio system available
- bring metal or ceramic tapes
- play vinyl record once recording it one tape
- store vinyl until another recording had to be made.

Funny story; I had an audio tape case in storage until two years ago. I pulled it out and had high quality recordings from GnR, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, ... I was joking about it with some friends who were over for dinner and said that I was going to throw them out.

They're like, "Give them to us, we'll take them".

My response, "Seriously? Here you go."

One more random thing. One of my best buddy's brother had an extremely high end walkman. It was barely the size of a cassette case and cost $500 in like 1987. THe motors were the size of nickles. We used to take that thing to concerts because it recorded in Stereo. I think I have Boston, Robert Plant and THe Rolling Stones concerts on cassette that we transfered to CD.

I was in Target the other day, and I saw brand new cassette tapes for sale. I don't think I have seen cassette tapes for sale in over 20 years. I was tempted to buy one just for nostalgia, but I haven't owned a cassette tape player since 1998. Unbelievable.

2jetfz8.jpg
Someone is selling their homemade mixtapes inside Target for 11 dollars?
Was this stand actually operated by Target or was it a kiosk rented out to a stupid hipster to ply their wares?

nothing nostalgic about those prices mang

<TheWire1>

Someone is selling their homemade mixtapes inside Target for 11 dollars?
Was this stand actually operated by Target or was it a kiosk rented out to a stupid hipster to ply their wares?

Bro, if you hear one of my mix tapes you'll gladly pay twelve bucks each for the rest.

nothing nostalgic about those prices mang

<TheWire1>

Hmmm, I think you're wrong. And in adjusted for inflation dollars they are much cheaper than they were in the 80s.

Last edited:
I bought my first 2 CDs in jr high, Korn and Limp Bizkit. A few months later, my sister came home from college and that was the year Napster came out. The house she was living in was a sorority house that was part of the school and had a T1 line when everyone at home only had 56k modem. She had a hard drive full of music. I rounded up money and spent a lot of $$ on really slow CD burner. I don't think I bought another CD again (I think I bought a few at a garage sale once for like $1 per CD).

Hmmm, I think you're wrong. And in adjusted for inflation dollars they are much cheaper than they were in the 80s.

Haha, yeah I remember when tapes were $18, plus tax. I remember one year I got 40$ for my birthday I went to the mall and bought Alannis Morsette and Green Day tapes and was broke. Good times

I predict CDs will make a big comeback within 10 years. There was really no reason for them to go out of favor outside of price and lack of convenience.

Other formats which have come and gone over the years, it was always because something with better quality came out. Digital (other than FLAC) is not better quality than CD. People gave up quality in favor of convenience.

I not only have a lot of CDs in boxes but about 200 LPs from yesteryear.
Never play em, who has a 'turntable' these days?
srsly
My friends kid is in college....he said it's become rather popular for college kids to get into vinyl. Not sure why.

I think I still have my original Appetite of Destruction cassette from 1987 or 88. Who knows how many times that has been played.

An Appetite cassette?! NICE...think I would have bought it just because...

Back