Rumored Charles Oliviera vs Arman Tsarukyan

They're all interesting fights on their own, I just don't like what they do to the divisions. I'd rather see Islam vs. Gaethje, arman, rematch charles, then fight whoever is next like Benoit or whoever. I miss long title runs and giving whoever is next the opportunity, regardless of whether we think he has much chance to win.

As for Edwarda vs Islam, I find it very interesting as well simply because Edwards has a lot of qualities that I think would give islam fits. I've been saying this for a while, but islam sucks at checking leg kicks and gets away with it because he mostly faces orthodox fighters that don't want to go shin to shin. He also relies on the step back counter left hand, which again is perfect in that open stance. A southpaw will have a much easier time leg kicking islam, and won't be there as easily for the counter left of islams. The southpaw stance also makes the single leg less easily available. It's partially why I'm interested in Benoit's development as well.

That said, I have concerns about Edward's chin and his cardio when people push a pace on him. It's an interesting fight, and I'd enjoy it, but I'd prefer islam stack up some defences at LW since he has 0 against lightweights.

I don't think Islam vs Charles 2 is necessary and Arman needs another win before a title shot. I think having them face each other makes decent sense, otherwise who will Arman face? Gaethje? Chandler? Poirier? Who else besides those is there even? If it's Islam vs Gaethje next, have Arman fight Charles, if it's Islam vs Charles II next have Arman face either Gaethje or Poirier, but neither would want to take it.

Benoit needs good matchmaking now, I'd like him vs Jalin/Hooker which will cement him a top 10 ranking, then you can either try to line him up with Gamrot vs RDA winner or some big name coming off a loss at that time (Poirier, Chandler, Gaethje, Charles) thats how I'd play it anyways. The division isn't that deep, there's very few rising contenders and promising prospects, no reason for Islam to stick around a long time, HE DOES NOT plan to fight past his prime, he won't be in the game at 35-36 like westerners are. Islam has a 13 fight win streak at 155lbs, which is tied for the longest in LW history alongside Khabib, if he reaches 4 title defenses he breaks the LW defense record too. I don't see him sticking around much past 15 fight win streak and 4 title defenses at LW, might as well fight for 170lb title then. Max is 5 defenses as I see it, the challengers and marquee rivals just don't exist at LW.

You got Olivera vs Arman rumored and Max vs Justin, two of the top contenders at LW. If these fights happen, I am assuming Islam is not fighting till summer or fall then.

He will fight in Feb or March, not April.

I don't think Islam vs Charles 2 is necessary and Arman needs another win before a title shot. I think having them face each other makes decent sense, otherwise who will Arman face? Gaethje? Chandler? Poirier? Who else besides those is there even? If it's Islam vs Gaethje next, have Arman fight Charles, if it's Islam vs Charles II next have Arman face either Gaethje or Poirier, but neither would want to take it.

Benoit needs good matchmaking now, I'd like him vs Jalin/Hooker which will cement him a top 10 ranking, then you can either try to line him up with Gamrot vs RDA winner or some big name coming off a loss at that time (Poirier, Chandler, Gaethje, Charles) thats how I'd play it anyways. The division isn't that deep, there's very few rising contenders and promising prospects, no reason for Islam to stick around a long time, HE DOES NOT plan to fight past his prime, he won't be in the game at 35-36 like westerners are. Islam has a 13 fight win streak at 155lbs, which is tied for the longest in LW history alongside Khabib, if he reaches 4 title defenses he breaks the LW defense record too. I don't see him sticking around much past 15 fight win streak and 4 title defenses at LW, might as well fight for 170lb title then. Max is 5 defenses as I see it, the challengers and marquee rivals just don't exist at LW.

If oliveira beats arman, whether we like his chances against islam or not, I do think it's necessary to see charles against islam 2. We have two all time great lightweights active at the same time and for history's sake, I'd like to see it again, and beating two top 3 guys back to back is enough to earn it in my opinion. Like I said, I'd rather islam just fight everyone who earns a shot at LW, even if we favor him strongly in those fights. But I understand why you wouldn't find most those matches intriguing, and I understand if islam chooses to do something else.

That's just what I'd like, and the ufc rarely books fights how I'd like. They'll probably find a way to make both of us unhappy to be honest lol.

If oliveira beats arman, whether we like his chances against islam or not, I do think it's necessary to see charles against islam 2. We have two all time great lightweights active at the same time and for history's sake, I'd like to see it again, and beating two top 3 guys back to back is enough to earn it in my opinion. Like I said, I'd rather islam just fight everyone who earns a shot at LW, even if we favor him strongly in those fights. But I understand why you wouldn't find most those matches intriguing, and I understand if islam chooses to do something else.

That's just what I'd like, and the ufc rarely books fights how I'd like. They'll probably find a way to make both of us unhappy to be honest lol.

I agree, if Charles beats Arman he'd be undeniably next. If Arman beats Charles, he'd undeniably be next. If they do Gaethje vs Islam, I hope they also do Arman vs Charles. But I just mean, after Islam faces Gaethje and then Charles vs Arman winner, who is even left? Only Benoit if he goes on a tear and stays healthy. Poirier and Chandler have losses and are super old. Gamrot maybe but...he arguably lost to Arman and got shutdown by Beneil and barely scraped by Jalin...not the most intriguing. There's just such a lack of contenders once you reach this point.

I hope if Benoit gets lined up for a title shot before Islam leaves that he faces Gamrot or Chandler so we can see where his wrestlings at pre Islam though.

Sounds like a winner! I am tired of all the immediate rematches anyhow, so Oliviera needs to earn his title shot again. Justin Gaethje is the guy that most want to see Islam fight, and he's earned possibly his last chance at the belt. You may be next in line after Gaethje, Charles, but you need to fightsomeone else first.

I don't know about needing to earn it again but Charles definitely needs to wait after pulling out

This will be a fantastic fight if it happens.

I agree, if Charles beats Arman he'd be undeniably next. If Arman beats Charles, he'd undeniably be next. If they do Gaethje vs Islam, I hope they also do Arman vs Charles. But I just mean, after Islam faces Gaethje and then Charles vs Arman winner, who is even left? Only Benoit if he goes on a tear and stays healthy. Poirier and Chandler have losses and are super old. Gamrot maybe but...he arguably lost to Arman and got shutdown by Beneil and barely scraped by Jalin...not the most intriguing. There's just such a lack of contenders once you reach this point.

I hope if Benoit gets lined up for a title shot before Islam leaves that he faces Gamrot or Chandler so we can see where his wrestlings at pre Islam though.

It's hard to look that far ahead. Someone can win 3 times this year and all the sudden be relevant in the top 10. As of right now, though, I agree, I don't see what is coming after potentially benoit.

Charles deserves another crack, it should be Gaethje vs Arman.

2023:
Islam
Arman
Olivera
Gaethje
Poirier

2018:
Khabib
Tony
Conor
Poirier
Gaethje

He has had zero fights against Islam.

Right because he didn't earn it

No other fighter is as exciting,

This is subjective. Considering Justin gets MURDERED in title fights, I don't see how this is true. He absolutely sucks at grappling and will be getting submitted without much fuss. Non-competitive fights are not exciting to me.

and has earned it more. Islam’s sloppy seconds can sort it out (Charles and Tsarukyan ) as to who gets their ass tapped next.

Poirier is not a meaningful win in todays landscape, he's beaten no one of consequence for years and years.

Justin should not have 3 title shots in 6 fights, that doesn't even need to be explained - its absurd on its face.

nah Islam beat them both pretty convincingly and seems easy matchup style wise. Honestly Justin is a more intriguing matchup as I think Islam neither has the Chain wrestling takedowns or the chin to Bang it out with Justin. Kinda expecting a Huge upset and I am a Islam fan myself. also edwards fight could be very rough too
I'm referring to fighting at 170. He can either get the Aldo treatment and get forced to vacate before trying or he can actually defend his belt against a contender.
He beat Charles convincingly, but he fell off pretty hard against Arman late. A five round fight would have likely told a different story. Hell, I haven't seen anything out of him to suggest he's leagues better than everyone.

Is Charles injured ? I thought the fight had already been signed for?
He had to pull out due to a cut for his original rematch with Islam, now JG will jump the line I guess? No official word yet

Would fucking love this fight. I honestly think I'd go go with Arman by TKO, shades of his finish against Alvarez. And no, I'm not comparing Joel Alvarez's ground game to Charles, just think it would look similar.

This fight could be for an interim belt and a dirty trap to fool the winner to fight in Abu Dhabi again.

UFC 299 is already booked, it has a main and a co-mainevent. No more room for two titlefights on the top. And it is in ten weeks, so it’s starting to get short notice in a few.

Last edited:
Back