classed as a great but losing to the same person twice?

This one almost dosent count. At that time fedor was essentially unbeatable

but there are other examples. It still counts and it still means Nog is a great. muh boy shogun lost to hendo twice and he is still considered one of the greats of LHW.

giphy.gif

So proud to skip to the head of the line and have no plans of defending. Something to really admire.

There are a few examples of mma fighters getting beat twice by the same opponent and then beating them the third time, or getting beat the first fight and winning the next two fights between them. It's a fight and skillsets get better or stay stagnant. On the flip side, just because someone lost to another, even more then once, doesn't mean that Victor is a better fighter overall or in career importance.. just means that fighter has the skill set to beat that other fighter. One has to train, compete, etc.. to truly grasp what I mean.
One of the few.
quinton-jackson_wanderlie-silva.gif

{<redford}

yeh so TS's proposition has been thoroughly debunked. This is really a distillation of MMAth and everyone knows that is fraught with peril. Even fanboy favourite Conor was a bees dick away from losing twice. That decision could easily have gone the other way.

But a key reason why this whole idea is false is that fighters are judged on fights before and (well) after their prime. Depending on age and circumstance some inferior fighters might get the opportunity to add GOAT's to their W list, so the whole W/L picture needs to be kept in context. You can write someone off for having a bad night against a bad stylistic matchup, and then fighting them again when they are well past their best. A lot of these situations fall into that category.

Ernesto Hoost is widely regarded as one of, if not the best kickboxer, despite his losses to Bob Sapp.....

Matt Hughes got beat by Dennis Hall twice in under 30 seconds both times.....yet he is considered an all time great.....

Even in Nogueira's Prime, he was considered an all time great despite his losses to Fedor.....

There are many examples.....

I don’t agree.

You can’t say someone like Damacio Page isn’t a great fighter just because he lost on 2 separate occasions to Brian Bowles, by guillotine choke, at exactly 3:30 in R1 in both fights.

Noguiera to Fedor.

Coleman to Fedor.

Werdum to Overeem.

Rampage to Silva

Couture to Liddell

So yeah.. of course you can still be a great and have lost twice to the same person.

penn lost to gsp and frankie twice

frankie lost to aldo and bendo twice

rampage lost to wandy twice

silva lost to weidman twice

Can you be classed as a great if you lost to the same person twice ? I’m thinking Matt Hughes being a great but lost twice to Dennis Hallman? JDS losing to Cain twice, Overeem losing to shogun twice ?

If asked would you say that Matt Hughes was better than Dennis Hallman, because MMA not being a team sport the answer has to be no as they fought twice and he lost twice?

Hallamn > Hughes > Trigg > Hallman > Hughes > Trigg . . . . So who is better than who?

:eek::eek::eek:

Joachim Hansen to Shinya Aoki. Very fun trilogy and rivalry.

So my point is .... is Matt Hughes better than Dennis Hallman? The answer has to be no ?
is this even a question?

Matt Hughes was a better fight than Hallman.....

Hallmans style was a nightmare for hughes, but if they fought the same competition including eachother for a few years during hughes prime.....Hughes would have only lost to hallman while hallman would have losses to other fighters that hughes beat......

Styles make fights.....just because you lose against one particular style, but beat the rest, doesnt make that style better unless it is just as effective against common opposition....

The mark of a good fighter is his ability to prepare for as many different styles as possible.....prime hughes dominated every style but 1 during his reign....

You're a horrible poster
Yeah lately I’ve been pretty bad. Just trying to antagonize too much lately. Usually I’m quite solid, but when it comes to Vitor and Conor, I can become quite delusional and hostile.

Hughes losing twice to Hallman is one of the great anomalies of MMA.

Hughes losing twice to Hallman is one of the great anomalies of MMA.

Or maybe Hughes was overrated....just throwing it out there. He was a champ when talent pool included Frank Trigg at the very top at WW.

Check out the two narratives in Steven Siler's resume.

Blue Arrow Narrative
Red Arrow Narrative

Steven Siler.png

Back