Classic Doom 1 & 2 chat

Saint John just got The Brick? They’re from my stomping grounds of Edmonton.

Fun fact: the founder of the Brick is the father of former NHL player Mike Comrie
Yup legit opened up within the last year or so

We only had Costco for a few years used to have to go to Moncton

Came across this video on YouTube from Sandy Petersen who was one of the primary level designers for Doom and Doom 2. Level 16 of Doom 2, the Suburbs apparently includes two buildings modeled after his home and the home he grew up in.

Hey guys hey

Romero himself released a map called One Humanity for Doom 2, his first Doom 2 map since like 1994 - it's only 5 British monies and all proceeds go to Ukraine Red Cross - and it's awesome

Gettit here https://romero.com/shop/p/onehumanity

Here is a vid I made

They don’t use Euros in Britain, they use the Pound.

It’s priced in Euros because Romero live’s in Ireland.

Last edited:
This is an interesting idea: raytraced doom. I think some of the shadow effects look great. But overall...I think it looks like ass. The technicolor illumination just does not look good. It needs some level of global sector illumination combined with raytraced sources.

This is an interesting idea: raytraced doom. I think some of the shadow effects look great. But overall...I think it looks like ass. The technicolor illumination just does not look good. It needs some level of global sector illumination combined with raytraced sources.

So Digital Foundry did some coverage of it.

I have to say, it looks much better without the over exaggerated bloom effect as they briefly touch on. For example, the cross in E2M1 with bloom as shown in the video you posted vs without bloom in the DF video

23F6FCBF-2971-4BC8-9309-5F9C8D9804B2.png

3B201AAB-874C-4202-AEC8-1D8D6EF4B5C1.png

So Digital Foundry did some coverage of it.

I have to say, it looks much better without the over exaggerated bloom effect as they briefly touch on. For example, the cross in E2M1 with bloom as shown in the video you posted vs without bloom in the DF video

View attachment 916737

View attachment 916736

Man, it looks soooooooo much better without that bloom effect. That leaves me with only one criticism, and that's that the lighting from the toxic waste barrels is way too intense. Other than that it looks pretty damn good. One thing I'm surprised at, though, is it didn't look like the creators were upscaling any of the textures or sprites. When I play in GZDoom I use a x4 NormalNx scaler. But I guess its probably done to show off the new renderer and not get in the way by introducing other effects.

Last edited:
I was looking up various upscalers (as one does) and ran across one called DCCI and I'm really impressed by the results it gives on a simple x2 scale. You think there would be interest in doing this up as a full WAD? I don't have the time at the moment, but I'm considering adding it to the "if you get the time" list.
zombie_zombie_ehehehohoh.png meatball.png spooder.png

Last edited:

Such a mixed bag. Some of these shots look incredible. Some of the ones of the military base though, with various colors, look just meh. And then one or two I'm trying to decide if I don't like because they're bad or because they're just different

Back