Confessions of a mittologist

Also, you claim you're not quite as competent as some of us in here and yet your tone is quite condescending, accusatory, and presumptuous.

what-Alison-Brie-.gif

You are a little too much of a snowflake regarding this topic

If anything it's mitts that are the trend. They've only been around as you know them for almost 50 year's, compare that to how long boxing has been around. Muay Thai has been around much longer than the popular equipment.

How were champions built before that?

Why should I not use a training method because it was not around 100years ago? Makes no sense at all to me. The whole sport has changed and I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE TO USE THEM.

You also have sports psychologists...etc. nowadays see Lomachenko. Things change. All professional sports changed a lot in the last 50years in training approach from table tennis to soccer...etc. But yes sure there are many boxers nowadays who also get to the top without mitts. I am not disputing that.

Maybe this is one of the earliest pictures in the 50s.
z9544406M,Charley-Goldman-trenuje-Rocky-ego-Marciano.jpg

P.S. - Visit the CPI gym in Germany.

That is 400km away from were I live but could be that I will be in this area this year. Will definitely visit if possible.

just in case you think I made this stuff up:

Again completely unnecessary. Cool down. My take on it is that there are coaches who work with mitts / pads at the highest level (Mayweather Sr, Roach...etc) and there are some who dont. As @YoungCashMoney is with Mayweater again I am sure he could tell if they do mitt work nowadays.

Like I wrote if I can make it to Chemiepokal I will ask around. Its just completely across the country so I am not sure to make it. There will be a livestream. Might be interesting for some. I may open a thread about it in boxing subforum.

Pretending mitts are completely unnecessary is the cool thing to talk about in the Standup Forum right now. They come in waves, just wait for the next one.

For a good year the "this coach likes his fighters with high hands lulz" was the hip thing to say. Bag mitts being far better than a modern glove was another.

Doesn't matter that an overwhelming majority of successful modern fighters and trainers don't agree with these ideas, it's important to appear as though you "know" better than the norm.

if its Mecha King Ghidorah you're fucke
d.
latest
Mecha king Gridoah is BYOG, you think you're in a regular fight, then he shoots lasers from his gut. Cheating mofo bringing unsanctioned gear

Mecha king Gridoah is BYOG, you think you're in a regular fight, then he shoots lasers from his gut. Cheating mofo bringing unsanctioned gear

And he's got people giving him instructions all throughout the fight while your corner is desperately trying to have their voices heard

And he's got people giving him instructions all throughout the fight while your corner is desperately trying to have their voices heard
All those monsters were cheating

Mecha Godzilla
gets head subbed, and the fight still continues. Shit should've ended long ago
hides laser in his headgear
Dude needs to cut and file his nails too

Mothra
spraying pepper spray in a no gear fight
First intergender MMA match

Biollante
sprays AIDS mid fight
Godzilla lost cause he was too soft and didn't want to lay Overhands on a chicka monster. Even one that's a spawning pool of STDs

Destoryah
Clearly on TRT

King Gridoah
Bringing 2 other friends to a 1 on 1 fight

Gigan
Fucking guy's bringing 2 moon daggers to a h2h fight, and wears a 1st gen DBZ scouter to find weaknesses.

This damn Monster Fighting Championships has PRIDE judges running the show or something

All those monsters were cheating

Mecha Godzilla
gets head subbed, and the fight still continues. Shit should've ended long ago
hides laser in his headgear
Dude needs to cut and file his nails too

Mothra
spraying pepper spray in a no gear fight
First intergender MMA match

Biollante
sprays AIDS mid fight
Godzilla lost cause he was too soft and didn't want to lay Overhands on a chicka monster. Even one that's a spawning pool of STDs

Destoryah
Clearly on TRT

King Gridoah
Bringing 2 other friends to a 1 on 1 fight

Gigan
Fucking guy's bringing 2 moon daggers to a h2h fight, and wears a 1st gen DBZ scouter to find weaknesses.

This damn Monster Fighting Championships has PRIDE judges running the show or something

Was Destoroyah on TRT? I thought he'd be on everything BUT

I think I should point out that King Cesar looked like he was on something:
latest

That jacked and that lean, come on now.

Was Destoroyah on TRT? I thought he'd be on everything BUT

I think I should point out that King Cesar looked like he was on something:
latest

That jacked and that lean, come on now.
Them tits tho...

Destroyah's a chick

She's basically a crab on TRT, and the bottom matches a female crab.

P.S. - Visit the CPI gym in Germany. Talk to Florin Catuna and his wife about their trip to Havana. They took their Russian Dima with them:

Here's Dima sparring at my gym with my fighter, ya know, just in case you think I made this stuff up:

this guy is an MMA fighter or a boxer?

Pretending mitts are completely unnecessary is the cool thing to talk about in the Standup Forum right now. They come in waves, just wait for the next one.

For a good year the "this coach likes his fighters with high hands lulz" was the hip thing to say. Bag mitts being far better than a modern glove was another.

Doesn't matter that an overwhelming majority of successful modern fighters and trainers don't agree with these ideas, it's important to appear as though you "know" better than the norm.

Do you have a fixed structure for your fight team ( I read you send fighters to the GG) regarding training forms and proportion of them like shadow boxing, light sparring, partner drills, mitts etc?

This is also an interesting statement. The underlying implication of this seems to be that if modernity agrees on something, that automatically qualifies it as not only valid but OPTIMAL. So by this rationale are people merely to accept that modernity and accuracy are synonymous? Is there no real reason to delve into the reasons why something exists as it is, and if there was not a better means of accomplishing a goal? Furthermore, are we to simply let trend (because a current happenings in large numbers is what a trend is, weird pants can't be a "trend" if only 50 people in the World wear them) do our thinking for us?

See, I can't speak for anyone else here but that's unacceptable to me. After spending a decade in boxing gyms in THE center of boxing in the U.S., if you're paying attention, you notice things. What I specifically noticed is that I paid 3 trainers who were World Class fighters A LOT of money (if I had that money I could put a down payment on a house for my Family) for essentially small variations of the same workouts for 5 years. The small variations a were largely in how they wanted me to hit the thing they were holding. Then realizing that much of that stuff didn't translate to sparring on a very high level, and if it did, it was very very slow. Then, when actually ASKING these men how they learned what they did, you find it was NOT from hours and hours of mitt work.

I don't think I need to drop names, but one of them came up in the Dominican National system and won a few world Amateur titles. That system is run almost identical to the Cuban system. And it's not that they never ever use mitts, it's that it's quite rare as training is done in large groups. They also don't have lots of money to spend on gear, so while places like the U.S. and U.K. became more about "the latest technological advancements" these places and others like them just kept going without much of that. What evolved, were the drills they do, and their ability to practice in ways that translate directly to moving around a person who is also moving. Sure you can simulate this with mitts (I always did mitts as if I was fighting the student, no sloppy stuff from me), but having them compete with each other for a small position just works better.

Just because something goes against what you see all the time (which you should also ask yourself WHY you're seeing that, "Iceman" John Scully recently made a public post saying he thinks most fancy mitt videos out there are FOR the trainer to look good, not to teach the fighter), doesn't mean it's wrong or even a minority thought. And just because people feel like a notion makes more sense than what they've seen doesn't mean it needs to be scoffed at if it doesn't agree with your basic notions. Plenty of trainers do shit differently than me, personally, but I don't slight them for it because I'm not insecure about what I'm doing. They can do shit however they want, but if you ask me where flaws are, I'll be honest about it. And big picture things like why the Countries who don't do shit like Westerners do started hoarding medals, and are now deep in the Pro ranks and seem to be hoarding Titles as well.

It just seems interesting to me that you and listrahtes are implying that this subject is born of fad when, Historically, that's not so. And you attribute any lasting of these notions (that often times originate from people like myself) is merely due to it seeming as if we invented it. Far from it, this is more like dusting off of old things an examining why they were, which one could argue you're not actually learning a craft if you don't know that. It also discounts that this board has had very in-depth discussions on this in which people have suggested what you're suggesting. So this discourse is also not new.

At the end of the day trainers can train how they want, fighters can learn and fight how they want, so long as the aspects of fighting are accounted for and everyone is honest about what they're doing. But one of the most prominent trends going right now is mitt - men who cannot teach a guy to fight all that well, fighters who can do lots of tricky mitt-work and can't pull those tricks off in sparring or a fight...and each being very reluctant to self-examine. Those have to be the biggest indicators of something being amiss.

Last edited:
For what its worth, during fight camps I rarely hold mitts at all till the last few days when all the hard stuff is done and my fighters arent grappling anymore.

And thats coming from a guy who jusr coached somebody to beat a former team alpha male head coach and UFC fighter! Lol

I feel sorry for you my friend.

" in order to beat the market, you have to be different from the market" Warren Buffett

When you are searching for greatness why do what everyone else does?

For me its not about fads or trying to fit in. I just want the kids who I work with to be the best version of themselves as fast as they can.

If I felt hitting the pads was that then I would suck up the throbbing shoulders and go to work with the mitts as I did for years. I don't feel that way any more

what-Alison-Brie-.gif

You are a little too much of a snowflake regarding this topic

Why should I not use a training method because it was not around 100years ago? Makes no sense at all to me. The whole sport has changed and I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE TO USE THEM.

You also have sports psychologists...etc. nowadays see Lomachenko. Things change. All professional sports changed a lot in the last 50years in training approach from table tennis to soccer...etc. But yes sure there are many boxers nowadays who also get to the top without mitts. I am not disputing that.

Maybe this is one of the earliest pictures in the 50s.
z9544406M,Charley-Goldman-trenuje-Rocky-ego-Marciano.jpg

That is 400km away from were I live but could be that I will be in this area this year. Will definitely visit if possible.

Again completely unnecessary. Cool down. My take on it is that there are coaches who work with mitts / pads at the highest level (Mayweather Sr, Roach...etc) and there are some who dont. As @YoungCashMoney is with Mayweater again I am sure he could tell if they do mitt work nowadays.

Like I wrote if I can make it to Chemiepokal I will ask around. Its just completely across the country so I am not sure to make it. There will be a livestream. Might be interesting for some. I may open a thread about it in boxing subforum.

I think mitts help improve my game more than anything else if I haven't done them in a while, then a diminishing returns effect happens, but with how my trainer does them, it immediately shortens up my punches, shortens up my combinations, lengthens my jab, and gives me better balance.

Also allows my trainer to see if I'm in the correct position as they get a chance to look at me as an opponent, making sure my head is off center or I'm sideways enough.

I think mitts help improve my game more than anything else if I haven't done them in a while, then a diminishing returns effect happens, but with how my trainer does them, it immediately shortens up my punches, shortens up my combinations, lengthens my jab, and gives me better balance.

Also allows my trainer to see if I'm in the correct position as they get a chance to look at me as an opponent, making sure my head is off center or I'm sideways enough.
And that's because that's his system. We can't all have they same system.

If I would have came up the way you did then maybe I would be different

Last edited:

Comparison:

The kid in the green soccer shirt is a kid I've been training for around 9 months. He has no fights and I don't think I've ever once done mitts with him. Maybe once or twice at the most. He's sparring two kids from our gym. The smaller skinnier one is 4-0. The chubbier one that comes in for the last 2 rounds is 2-1 and the 1 was very close. These two, if they're not sparring the only other thing they do is hit mitts.

I would guess, that before mitts were invented, people were probably just holding their hands up and having them punch their hands without a mitt there. its only natural to hold your hands up to have someone punch them. Obviously people werent ripping someones hands like they do on pads now a days. But punching bags and pads seems only natural. I know before thai pads were "invented" people were using make shift pads for kicking etc.

I dont for the "old" ways of boxing, but the old ways of muay thai training or muay boran is fairly easy to find.

the tree served as a bag, and the leaf served as a TKD style kick paddle here. Lime on a string for a slip bag. If not muay thai/boran, one can look at the primitive/rural camps for lethwei as well to get an example of old style training methods with little to no equipment. I guess what im trying to say is that prior to pads being invented, people were using other things to serve the same purpose.

They don't hit my hands. Lol

Just partner drills, so in other words they box in sequences until they understand what they have to do in basic situations. Then when you see that understanding, you remove the sequences.

Back