International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/flames-o...klash-1.4854061?taid=5e6ed12e72e8fa00012bfa19

Flames ownership group announces compensation program for hourly employees after backlash
Published March 15, 2020 5:33 p.m. ET
Updated March 15, 2020 6:03 p.m. ET
By Carly Stagg
Digital Producer

Share this story:

1-4850448.jpeg
Two members of the Calgary Flames on the ice of the Scotiabank Saddledome on March 12 prior to the announcement of the suspension of the 2019-2020 NHL season
CALGARY -- After considerable backlash from Calgarians and city councillors, the Flames ownership group amended its recent decision to not pay hourly and event employees for cancelled shifts after the NHL season was paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

In an email addressed to part-time employees sent Sunday afternoon, John Bean, the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation president, said the company would be "adopting an income bridge support program for qualifying employees."

The program will top up Employment Insurance (EI) benefits to provide up to 95 per cent of the employee's regular earnings.

Employees who are not eligible for EI will receive the equivalent top up from CSEC.

"We may not get everything right, out of the gate, but we can assure you that we will continue to work hard to do what is right of all our CSEC family," the email read.

Online fundraising campaign
A GoFundMe page for the workers set up by a season ticket holder and former Saddledome employee raised nearly $60,000 by Sunday evening, with several $5,000 donations made in the name of Flames players.

Raymond Lau, who started the campaign, set an initial goal of $10,000. The campaign made nearly quadruple that amount by late Sunday morning

@Bald1 It looks like a little public shaming/backlash can go a long way. Pretty quick 180 by the ownership group.

That's alright, the important thing is that our governments start listening to them.
The who had some shitty advice about border closures don’t help and Trudeau clung to that well now Canadians are dealing with this when 99 percent of our cases are from travelers...

• Britain’s prime minister, Boris Johnson, was preparing to appear at the first of a series of daily news conferences where he was expected to outline the next steps in the UK’s plan to fight the outbreak
Ahead of the briefing, UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps rejected criticism the government is being too slow to introduce measures limiting the spread of coronavirus, saying ministers are rigorously following scientific advice rather than “doing things that just sound good”
Britain’s armed forces are meanwhile preparing to send thousands of military medics to assist in NHS hospitals in the coming weeks as part of Operation Broadshare – the Ministry of Defence’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.
Here is one of Boris' scientific advisors

PQLL41C86AK75Q1RAQV9.jpg

exactly, you can't shit on your balcony, though I suppose you could shit OFF it.

Hmmm, not so sure now

When you have a balcony, the world truly is your toilet.
Dropping steaming loads onto unsuspecting passersby is the closest you'll come to feeling like God.

Most people can't afford to miss a couple paychecks, and this applies to businesses as well. I don't blame anyone for trying to get paid while we still can.

I don't blame the employees, I can't wrap my head around why the owners would keep it open today. Who the hell is gonna buy a car today? I could see keeping the garage part open for service I guess. But the whole "people need to go to work to survive" dynamic isn't gonna hold up in this shit. Something very radical needs to be done by our government, like suspending mortgage and rent payments, things like that. This shit is spreading by the minute.

Looks like Italy has stopped publishing its new infections and deaths. Can someone confirm?

So my friend just told me that she was at Aldi to grab some groceries, and an elderly gentleman with a walking cane on the way out offered her his empty shopping cart.

He's too old to drive and finally got a ride to go get some bread and eggs, but the store was already picked clean by the time he got there. :(

My friend remember she had a loaf of bread that she got from Costco, and gave it to him instead. He offered to pay, but she refused to take his money :)

I would wholeheartedly support this initiative, to give the seniors a chance.
It's comforting to know that you are not an a******

The situation has really changed my look on a few people

Some of you have gained a lot more respect for me immensely

Some of you have reveal that you are a complete piece of s***

It's not that hard to make a list

Just seeing who agrees or disagrees with my post is all you need

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-national-quarentine-shutdown-texts-1492440

The White House has assured citizens that rumors being spread via text message claiming the government is due to implement a national quarantine in order to deal with the threat of the coronavirus are fake.

The National Security Council (NSC) issued a statement confirming that the texts suggesting that President Donald Trump will enforce a two-week period of national quarantine within the next 72 hours after evoking the Stafford Act are a hoax.

"There is no national lockdown," the NSC tweeted. "The Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] has and will continue to post the latest guidance on COVID-19."

The message, which claims to be from someone's "friend in the military," advises people to stock up on two weeks worth of supplies and to forward the text onto other people to warn them too.
It is unclear if there are any criminal investigations launched in connection to the hoax texts. The FBI has been contacted for comment.

Trump did invoke the Stafford Act on Friday, March 13, while declaring a national state of emergency over the coronavirus, but did not implement a national quarantine.

The 1998 act allows Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to coordinate the administration of disaster relief aid to state and local governments.

However, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious disease expert, has warned that Americans are "going to have to hunker down significantly more" than they are doing to better protect themselves against the virus. A 14-day national shutdown could still be on the cards.

"Everybody has got to get involved in distancing themselves socially," Fauci told NBC's Meet the Press.

"Right now, myself personally, I wouldn't go to a restaurant. I just wouldn't because I don't want to be in a crowded place...I don't want to be in a situation where I'm going to be all of a sudden self-isolating for 14 days," he added, referencing the maximum number of incubation days for those who have displayed possible symptoms of the coronavirus.

In its latest recommendations, the CDC said that all large or mass gatherings events with 50 people or more in attendance should be canceled for the next eight weeks to help stop the spread of the virus.

"Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene, and social distancing. When feasible, organizers could modify events to be virtual," the CDC said in a statement.

"This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses. This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus."

There have been more than 3,370 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the U.S., with 69 fatalities, according to Johns Hopkins University. A total of 12 patients have managed to recover from the virus.

It's comforting to know that you are not an a******

The situation has really changed my look on a few people

Some of you have gained a lot more respect for me immensely

Some of you have reveal that you are a complete piece of s***

It's not that hard to make a list

Just seeing who agrees or disagrees with my post is all you need
She could have inadvertently given the old man COVID. She doesn't know. Now he's dead.

Went to the grocery store this morning to get some food for my house and for my parents. I was masked (n95) up and gloved up. I was the only one wearing any ppe. Not too many peeps in the store and they had plenty of stuff.

If you want people to stay away from you in public wear gloves and a mask, peoples were parting like the red seas when i turned down their isle.
Yep had similar experience.

people don’t give a shit it seems. I even saw 2 guys meeting each other and shaking hands. Shit like this makes me more and more misanthropic.

Btw does anyone know if workout mask + antibact will do?

like this one: https://www.trainingmask.com/training-masks/training-mask-3-0/

I don't blame the employees, I can't wrap my head around why the owners would keep it open today. Who the hell is gonna buy a car today? I could see keeping the garage part open for service I guess. But the whole "people need to go to work to survive" dynamic isn't gonna hold up in this shit. Something very radical needs to be done by our government, like suspending mortgage and rent payments, things like that. This shit is spreading by the minute.

I agree. Though it is extremely difficult for smaller dealers. I work for a Ford dealership with around 80 employees and we were open today. I had to take the afternoon off to stay with my daughter as we are scrambling to find a sitter solution as it looks like we will be open for the foreseeable future. The funny thing is the entire ownership and upper management are in 14 day self quarantine because they all thought it was a good plan to fly to Florida last week.

All that said if they close for more than a month I can see the business going under and screwing those 80 employees in the long term. I really don't know what the answer is. As I said in an earlier post we are in a damned either way situation.

Stocked up for at least 2 weeks. We won't be leaving the house anymore except to walk the dog.

Here is one of Boris' scientific advisors

PQLL41C86AK75Q1RAQV9.jpg
It's almost like he realizes what he said on Friday was bollocks

• Johnson says people over 70 are being asked to avoid unnecessary social contact with other people.
  • He says the situation is particularly serious in London, which is several weeks ahead of the rest of the country in terms of the spread of coronavirus.
  • He says the government will not longer support mass gatherings.
  • Johnson says it looks as though we are approaching the “fast growth” phase of the curve. That means cases are expected to double every five days.
  • Families are being urged to stay at home for 14 days if any member of the household is ill, Johnson says.
  • He says it is time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others. That means people should work from home where possible and avoid pubs, clubs and theatres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back