Current consensus on Tiger Muay Thai?

I'd say many gyms are quite touristy

Out of the touristy gyms however, Sinbi muay thai and Phuket top team seem to je producing some decent fighters. Sitsongpeenong Phuket also has some decent farangs i believe, so training is probably good.

I don't know how the experience will be if one goes there though

Sparring is how you get better man. How else are you going to apply the drills you learn in class?
I competed before. I am older now and I admit that competing is past me. It's not like I haven't seen those drills before.
I still do believe sparring twice a day pretty much everyday isn't good anywhere.

I competed before. I am older now and I admit that competing is past me. It's not like I haven't seen those drills before.
I still do believe sparring twice a day pretty much everyday isn't good anywhere.

Ehhh i think getting as much sparring as possible is good but you have to do drills and exercises before sparring. And spar really light is better because you can't spar hard all day.

Didn't Dave Leduc used to train there? One advantage of the trainers beating the sh*t out of you is you will know if youre cut out for Lethwei :D

They really went down hill last time i went. They let go of like the manager ( said he stole like 100k but dont know true story) let go alot of trainers and brought in some very meh ones

A few years ago, everyone and their dogs were saying not to go to Tiger Muay Thai, because - I don't really know actually.

I am planning a trip to Phuket this summer in August, and am wondering if the current consensus is still not to go Tiger.

Currently, I am planning to go to Sinbi otherwise, but will consider Sitsongpeenong -which others also said was a money making scheme, but one guy posted a great review.

Not really asking for which gyms I should go to, just am wondering what you guys think of Tiger now?
I just got back a week ago from spending a month at Tiger. For me it was a fantastic overall experience and I really have nothing bad to say. I upgraded and stayed at camp 4 which I would say it worth it. There is a small pool and the rooms are nicer. If you are super budget conscience then I would say skip the meal card because you can eat cheaper in the restaurants outside the camp.

Now for the training...

They had two - two hour group Muay Thai classes every day. One in the morning from 8 - 10 then another from 3 - 5. They were usually pretty busy with about 30 students and around 15 thai instructors. It was a good solid training session every time and included at least 3 rounds of sparring (at about 40%) every time. I would strongly suggest also signing up for some one on one's. I got ten of them in my month package and its very helpful to work one on one with one of the thai instructors to help correct your mistake.

The fitness and strength classes were great as well. Only did a few beginner BJJ classes and enjoyed them.

I plan on going back again for a month next year. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer as I literally got back a week ago. And no I am not some shill for Tiger.

I haven't been to Sitsongpeenong Phuket, I just hear chatter on the forums and some people were saying that it was a money grabbing business while the Bangkok one was legit.

Same thing with Tiger, people said never go there, but I never know why. They said something about the clientele there is a bit... obnoxious.

That video truly brings a bad rep to Tiger lol.

Honestly, one reason I kind of want to go is because of the facilities. It just looks so beautiful, but I don't know if it'll be worth it.

I think I know what you're talking about. Apparently the video of them beating people up was them trying out people for their fight team. Their "regular" classes aren't like that. Apparently.
I just got back from a month there and no they don't beat you like that. They even have a beginners class. You will spar 3 rounds every class but only at about 40% and if someone is going too hard all you have to do is walk away and not spar them anymore.

So it's either pad work or sparring but not both in one day?
You do both every class. Then divide the class into three groups. One does pad work. One does bag work. The other spars. Then after three rounds they rotate the groups. So you spar 3 rounds, do pads with a thai instructor for 3 rounds, and do bag work for 3 rounds every class.

their facility look like a world class facility, and they have high quality MMA pro fighter that are training and coaching there.

Know a guy whos down there right know

Will have to ask him next time i see him

I just got back a week ago from spending a month at Tiger. For me it was a fantastic overall experience and I really have nothing bad to say. I upgraded and stayed at camp 4 which I would say it worth it. There is a small pool and the rooms are nicer. If you are super budget conscience then I would say skip the meal card because you can eat cheaper in the restaurants outside the camp.

Now for the training...

They had two - two hour group Muay Thai classes every day. One in the morning from 8 - 10 then another from 3 - 5. They were usually pretty busy with about 30 students and around 15 thai instructors. It was a good solid training session every time and included at least 3 rounds of sparring (at about 40%) every time. I would strongly suggest also signing up for some one on one's. I got ten of them in my month package and its very helpful to work one on one with one of the thai instructors to help correct your mistake.

The fitness and strength classes were great as well. Only did a few beginner BJJ classes and enjoyed them.

I plan on going back again for a month next year. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer as I literally got back a week ago. And no I am not some shill for Tiger.
30 people in a class ? Wow sounds like cardio kickboxing with miyagi!

How many fights did you have while there ? Which stadium ? Patong? Bangla?

30 people in a class ? Wow sounds like cardio kickboxing with miyagi!

Nah they had about 15 trainers. Conditioning, sparring, bag work with a trainer, pad work, the usual stuff.

How many fights did you have while there ? Which stadium ? Patong? Bangla?

I didn't fight. I just train for enjoyment and am not looking to be a professional fighter.

You do both every class. Then divide the class into three groups. One does pad work. One does bag work. The other spars. Then after three rounds they rotate the groups. So you spar 3 rounds, do pads with a thai instructor for 3 rounds, and do bag work for 3 rounds every class.
Sounds pretty good. Do they supervise you one the bags and correct you, or are you on your own for the 3 rounds on the bag?

Sounds pretty good. Do they supervise you one the bags and correct you, or are you on your own for the 3 rounds on the bag?
They walk around and will correct you if you are doing something wrong.

They walk around and will correct you if you are doing something wrong.
Ok. I am maybe and finally going to my first MT trip later this year.
Since I am 38 and not in the best shape either I am wondering whether Tiger might be a good, "user friendly" solution.

Ok. I am maybe and finally going to my first MT trip later this year.
Since I am 38 and not in the best shape either I am wondering whether Tiger might be a good, "user friendly" solution.
Well I am 46 and it was fine. I am in good shape though :) But yest they have beginner classes and lots of options so it should be fine. I plan on going back next year!

Well I am 46 and it was fine. I am in good shape though :) But yest they have beginner classes and lots of options so it should be fine. I plan on going back next year!

That's the thing. I am no beginner. Been doing K1-ish KB/MT for more than 20 years. A beginner class would be very boring to me, yet I am in no "advanced" shape. :-(

A few years ago, everyone and their dogs were saying not to go to Tiger Muay Thai, because - I don't really know actually.

I am planning a trip to Phuket this summer in August, and am wondering if the current consensus is still not to go Tiger.

Currently, I am planning to go to Sinbi otherwise, but will consider Sitsongpeenong -which others also said was a money making scheme, but one guy posted a great review.

Not really asking for which gyms I should go to, just am wondering what you guys think of Tiger now?
Tiger Muay Thai is a tourist trap. Look at things like Jitti etc where the best farangs go.

Honestly, both, but I know that no gym has the best of both. Of course, I expect the trainers to be competent and at least try to be good, but once they meet this threshold, I wouldn't be that much more picky. I'm much more picky when it comes to facilities as I am a little bitch. My friend just came back from a gym that had him do stuff on concrete and stuff, and that I can't do...

Oh shit I didn't even notice!
If you gonna train in thailand be prepared for concrete lol. Its actually nice when u get used to it. Tmt has some great trainers just a lot of douchebag amateurs train there.

Back