Media Dana White working on making Adesanya/Romero. "He wants Romero and I respect that."

Because the BMF belt ruined the integrity of the sport. :cool:
lol. You must have missed out on the Heavies in the lead up to UFC 244. Honestly, the amount of whining by grown men on a karate forum over that fight was embarrassing.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Till got cold feet. Then Israel got cold feet.

Winter is coming and his name is Romero...

Israel decision all day. Yoel won't catch him clean, and all he really has is a punchers chance.

I’d love to see Yoel use his Olympic caliber wrestling instead of stand up with Izzy. Ground him out for a 50-45 decision and expose the stylebender.

No issue with it at all, you could make good arguments that Yoel won both the 2nd Whittaker fight and the Costa fight (personally thought he beat Rob but lost to Natty goat). If Costa is out and was #1 contender, then the natural next guy is the person who came very close to beating him in a tough fight.

Cannonier is doing well but you don't think Yoel would be on a 3 fight win streak against Branch, Anderson and Hermansson? C'mon.

Lets go baby, buddy has missed weight in his last two title fights and has lost 3 of his last 4 and is still gonna get a title shot. What a legend. Everyone is dodging Cannonier 100% confirmed.

Jon and Yoel are friends, Adesanya trying to rattle Jon's cage by beating his friend.......... If he can......

Israel is to striking what Yoel is to wrestling, and his TDD is better than Yoel's striking, its gonna be a long 25 for Yoel.
Your analogy is a bit off.. Izzy isn’t an Olympic level striker. You May have forgot Toel is an Olympic level wrestler.....if he decides to use it, he’ll take him down at will.

Yoels lost 3 in his last 4 and now gets a title shot? Having a body like a Greek god really pays the bills.
coinflip decision loss versus Costa, the #1 contender who is injured. Makes sense to give him the shot.
Robbed of at least a draw versus the champ Whittaker the second time.
First Whittaker fight was just 48-47.
Also, result aside Whittaker and Costa had to sitout due to injuries after fighting Romero.

UFC is crazy and clueless to think the Romero fight wouldn't sell. Which fighter in the division would sell more?

Cannonier hasn't really beat a top contender yet, Anderson and Joker wins were impressive but not over top guys. Do you think he'd beat Costa or lose a coinflip decision versus him?

Even though I can’t stand the guy, I have to give Israel respect for calling him out. The last time I checked, not many people call Romero out, and Till’s reaction the following day keeps him out of that group in my book.

coinflip decision loss versus Costa, the #1 contender who is injured. Makes sense to give him the shot.
Robbed of at least a draw versus the champ Whittaker the second time.
First Whittaker fight was just 48-47.
Also, result aside Whittaker and Costa had to sitout due to injuries after fighting Romero.

UFC is crazy and clueless to think the Romero fight wouldn't sell. Which fighter in the division would sell more?

Cannonier hasn't really beat a top contender yet, Anderson and Joker wins were impressive but not over top guys. Do you think he'd beat Costa or lose a coinflip decision versus him?
Cannonier vs. Costa is a fun match up, but it probably won’t happen unless one of them ends up becoming champ. Anderson got injured, so I don’t put much stock in that fight, but the destruction of Hermansson was HUGE, given what the guy had just done to Jacare.

Why isn't Jared Cannonier getting the title shot? 3 straight finishes + he has energy stones

Because the fanbase made such a big deal about Romero being Adesanya's kryptonite, even after he lost to Costa.

Adesanya even got called out by Masvidal for "ducking" Romero, which wasn't even possible.

This is a direct response to the fans. LOL @ people complaining now that Adesanya is taking a fight that everybody pretended to care about.

Adesanya is a brave/confident man. UFC needs more fighters with his attitude. Come one, come all, bring what ya got.
Mad respect!!

Terrible fight for Yoel, good for Adesanya for wanting this fight, he knows he have Yoel numbers

Wouldn't say his wrestling is overrated at all, he just doesn't use it often instead relying on his striking.
I would. He has gone to his wrestling before and, at the highest level, he usually doesn't get takedowns, and then doesn't keep people down if he does. His run through Tavares, Kennedy, and Machida were the only times everything seemed to click for him. Before that, he had gone 0 for 12 on takedown attempts in his 4 previous fights in UFC/Strikeforce and had seen him taken down multiple times himself. Fightmetric has him at 10 for 36 since those fights, while ufc.com has him at 19 of 68 since. And it's not just the takedown stats. I'm hard pressed to remember the last time he had significant control on the ground, except for first round of the Souza fight, which was only started with a backfist and had Jacare plying for submissions, but got largely outgrappled in rounds 2 & 3, and only managed to steal round 2 by using a cage grab to try and prevent a takedown. Sure, any time he hasn't needed to use his grappling is because of his amazing vaults and jumps in striking ability and power, far beyond that of any wrestler-turned MMA fighter I can remember. He's like the reverse GSP. But most of his grappling success came after hurting someone badly with the striking, and even then it's not been largely successful. Any time Romero HAS used only his grappling, it's been subpar, as far as ranking contenders go.

Back