Data Shows Racial Bias in Miami-Dade, Florida Marijuana Arrests

Lmao Jesus Christ

How is it systemic if the system is against such actions by law? If you prefer to tuck tail instead of answering, that is your choice. Scoffing at what I said with no substance is just an admission you have fuck all to say

How is it systemic if the system is against such actions by law? If you prefer to tuck tail instead of answering, that is your choice. Scoffing at what I said with no substance is just an admission you have fuck all to say
A chief of police gave orders to an entire department to specifically target innocent people based on race. That city's police force was operating with racist policies and behaviors.

Don't ask any more stupid questions.

A chief of police gave orders to an entire department to specifically target innocent people based on race. That city's police force was operating with racist policies and behaviors.

Don't ask any more stupid questions.

So you're speaking of corruption.... having a set of rules, but following your own set of rules to match your agenda.

Systemic would be if the laws themselves, or official police policy was to do something.

I don't expect you to understand the difference. Carry on with your ignorance

So you're speaking of corruption.... having a set of rules, but following your own set of rules to match your agenda.

Systemic would be if the laws themselves, or official police policy was to do something.

I don't expect you to understand the difference. Carry on with your ignorance
Police policy in that department was...

Man you know what, it's pointless. Have a good day.

Police policy in that department was...

Man you know what, it's pointless. Have a good day.

No it wasn't. It was an under the table thing he was telling officers to do.

You think he would be able to fire a cop for disobeying orders related to framing black men? Of course not. He would have to ride them and write them petty write ups etc. Til he had enough to can them.

If it was systemic it would be a simple process of failing to follow police policy

It is corruption because the brass had to use deceit and covert threats to impose their agenda. The system was literally against the brass....

What an absurd thing to say. No wonder you have a victim mentality when you believe shit like that
MAGA types and the alt-right have victim mentalities, Black Americans are actual victims.

Fuck outta here with your "absurd thing to say"

"They measured participants’ reactions through skin conductance tests—basically whether their hands got sweaty—which reflect activity in the pain matrix of the brain. If we see someone in pain, it triggers the same network in our brains that’s activated when we are hurt. But people do not respond to the pain of others equally. In this experiment, when viewers saw white people receiving a painful stimulus, they responded more dramatically than they did for black people.

The racial empathy gap helps explain disparities in everything from pain management to the criminal justice system. But the problem isn’t just that people disregard the pain of black people. It’s somehow even worse. The problem is that the pain isn’t even felt."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108582/

"Study Links Disparities in Pain Management to Racial Bias

Research has documented that black Americans are systematically under treated for pain relative to white Americans, likely due to both the over-prescription and over-use of pain medications among white patients and the under-prescription of pain medications for black patients. Indeed, research has shown that black patients are under treated for pain not only relative to white patients, but relative to World Health Organization guidelines."

https://news.virginia.edu/content/study-links-disparities-pain-management-racial-bias
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0159224

I'm not just implying it. I'll explicitly state such. Are you denying black people are more antagonistic with police?

and last but not least, an all time favorite of mine, YAHWEEEEH!:

I think the most disturbing thing about threads like this and people refuting these studies is that, at the core of their argument, they're refuting the idea that racism exists.

They're refuting the idea that law enforcement and enforcers are swayed by racism. They're refuting the idea that sometimes entire departments are rife with racism from the top down and operate on racist beliefs.

It's shocking to me that Americans still deny that racism is a serious issue in all walks, including the law enforcement industry.

How can you be so blind? Is it disingenuous? Are you racist? What is it? There should be no question

No, people are refuting the idea that if there's a discrepancy in numbers/representation it's by definition due to racism. It could be a myriad of factors, including behavior.

Do you think that the male/female discrepancy in number of arrests is due to sexism?

MAGA types and the alt-right have victim mentalities, Black Americans are actual victims.

Fuck outta here with your "absurd thing to say"

"They measured participants’ reactions through skin conductance tests—basically whether their hands got sweaty—which reflect activity in the pain matrix of the brain. If we see someone in pain, it triggers the same network in our brains that’s activated when we are hurt. But people do not respond to the pain of others equally. In this experiment, when viewers saw white people receiving a painful stimulus, they responded more dramatically than they did for black people.

The racial empathy gap helps explain disparities in everything from pain management to the criminal justice system. But the problem isn’t just that people disregard the pain of black people. It’s somehow even worse. The problem is that the pain isn’t even felt."

"Study Links Disparities in Pain Management to Racial Bias

Research has documented that black Americans are systematically under treated for pain relative to white Americans, likely due to both the over-prescription and over-use of pain medications among white patients and the under-prescription of pain medications for black patients. Indeed, research has shown that black patients are under treated for pain not only relative to white patients, but relative to World Health Organization guidelines."

https://news.virginia.edu/content/study-links-disparities-pain-management-racial-bias
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0159224

and last but not least, an all time favorite of mine, YAHWEEEEH!:

That study shows that there is an implicit bias when having empathy. You tend to show more empathy to people who look like you do or have a shared identity.

That study does NOT show that people lack empathy towards black people like you claimed. Try harder next time

yeah okay, but what about the arrest rate for Asians in Miami for weed?

asking for a friend

It's an old story. Blacks are not more likely to use marijuana and other drugs than whites are, but they disproportionately pay the price for it because they are targeted MUCH more often than other groups. There's an audiotape of a New York City cop who was arresting offenders based on behavior rather than race being told by his supervisor to target blacks because they "pop" more (meaning they're more likely to have outstanding warrants). And why do you think they "pop" more? Perhaps because you target and harass them in the first place to a large extent? It's a really vicious cycle.

http://www.hamiltonproject.org/char...y_race_rates_of_drug_related_criminal_justice

It's called passing the asshole test.

That study shows that there is an implicit bias when having empathy. You tend to show more empathy to people who look like you do or have a shared identity.

That study does NOT show that people lack empathy towards black people like you claimed. Try harder next time
Exuse for physicians giving Black patients less pain relief medication?
It's an old story. Blacks are not more likely to use marijuana and other drugs than whites are, but they disproportionately pay the price for it because they are targeted MUCH more often than other groups. There's an audiotape of a New York City cop who was arresting offenders based on behavior rather than race being told by his supervisor to target blacks because they "pop" more (meaning they're more likely to have outstanding warrants). And why do you think they "pop" more? Perhaps because you target and harass them in the first place to a large extent? It's a really vicious cycle.

http://www.hamiltonproject.org/char...y_race_rates_of_drug_related_criminal_justice

Exactly.

Between July 2015 and July 2018, Miami-Dade police gave 7,268 marijuana citations to white people—out of 10,000 total citations. 2,789 of those 10,000 went to Black people.
Combined with the data showing racially disproportionate arrest rates, arrests for alleged offenses that fall under the 2015 citation rule, that means a Black person is four times more likely than a white person to face arrest for minor marijuana offenses.

So because only 3 times as many white people were charged, there is bias against blacks?

{<huh}

The article doesn't account for a number of possible mitigating factors.
Like, does the suspect have priors, the suspects general attitude, is the suspect cooperative, etc.
Just going by what my eyes and ears have shown me, blacks tend to be more combative when dealing with the police.

Also, location seems to be a factor. In high crime areas with a lot of drugs, there is going to be more heat, hence, more arrests.
I'm willing to bet that the police get to know their beat over time and after seeing the same people sent back to the street over and over again to continue breaking the law, they tend to crack down more.

At any rate, if the police are trying to make the streets your children play on safer, people should be commending them rather than the usual bitching and moaning.

Interesting how Hispanics are "white" for crime stats, but not much else.

Serious question? The same explanation of implicit bias would apply. Lol you aren't very good at this
So licensed physicians are so bias to the point they do not medically treat Black patients well, but yet you think Cops don't display that same bias which negatively impact Black people?

So licensed physicians are so bias to the point they do not medically treat Black patients well, but yet you think Cops don't display that same bias which negatively impact Black people?
Actually the issue is a number of stereotypes around black physiology. For example many doctors think that blacks have better inherent pain tolerance. I don't know if its true or not, but if its not it is certainly one of a number of widespread myths.

Back