Dealing with violent Thugs/Meatheads in BJJ gyms

miscend

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was just reading this article below about a kid that went berserk inside Roger Gracie's BJJ gym after his induction class. How many of you have had to deal with violent thugs in your academies and how did you diffuse the situation afterwards?

A teenager trashed a judo champion’s gym before spitting blood at police, a court heard. Junior Ogunsola, 19, was attending a formal induction at the Roger Gracie Academy in White City in west London when he lost his temper after his tooth was knocked out. Ogunsola smashed two windows then spat blood at three police officers who arrived to detain him on 12 March, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard.

http://courtnewsuk.co.uk/judo-boy-went-berserk-after-his-tooth-was-knocked-out/

I hold the choke an extra second or two to make them realize it’s life or death

Half my gym would start foaming at the mouth if they had the chance to deal with a violent dude. We have bouncers, MMA fighters, policemen, and a few soldiers, they all live for this shit.

Lol my instructor knocked his teeth out, after the guy tried to bum rush him. Saw the whole thing live.
What actually happened? Who even tries to start fights at a martial arts gym.

What actually happened? Who even tries to start fights at a martial arts gym.

This guy came in, asked the instructor what he would do on the street if this big guy tried to punch him. Instructor asked him to try, the guy swung at him proper - promptly got taken down and arm barred. Tapped, but as he got up started punching back of instructors head.

Got kicked out of class - then tried bum rushing instructor. Instructor punched him in the face, knocking his front teeth out. He was then taken outside and encircled by ten guys until the cops came. He starts going crazy, punching the academy window - I'll be honest, it was kinda scary - dude was massive and completely cray cray. Cops arrive (4 of them, to restrain him), taser him, he spits blood at them, they cuff him, take him away. I go back in and start training twice as hard.

My coach at the Catch wrestling gym I used to go to would have one of the advanced students go one on one with them. We always won but wasn't the best experience at the time. I once got speared by some dirty guy off the street who broke my rib before I tapped him. It was a heck of a confidence builder, but not sure if I'd do things the same way.

This guy came in, asked the instructor what he would do on the street if this big guy tried to punch him. Instructor asked him to try, the guy swung at him proper - promptly got taken down and arm barred. Tapped, but as he got up started punching back of instructors head.

Got kicked out of class - then tried bum rushing instructor. Instructor punched him in the face, knocking his front teeth out. He was then taken outside and encircled by ten guys until the cops came. He starts going crazy, punching the academy window - I'll be honest, it was kinda scary - dude was massive and completely cray cray. Cops arrive (4 of them, to restrain him), taser him, he spits blood at them, they cuff him, take him away. I go back in and start training twice as hard.
Should have just choked him out. No teeth lost, no windows broken, no cops needed.

Should have just choked him out. No teeth lost, no windows broken, no cops needed.

I suppose that’s easier said then done in the heat of the moment after you’ve already been sucker punched.

Man i wish I could have been there!

Honestly if someone sucker punches your instructor the whole class should have fucked him up.

I suppose that’s easier said then done in the heat of the moment after you’ve already been sucker punched.
True, but that's a BJJ master vs complete noob scenario we're talking about.

True, but that's a BJJ master vs complete noob scenario we're talking about.

Yeah but this ‘noob’ was huge (6ft 6 heavyweight frame) and came at him with bad intentions, after already assaulting him. In that context, I think his split second reaction was justified.

Man i wish I could have been there!

Honestly if someone sucker punches your instructor the whole class should have fucked him up.

Was pretty insane. Locker room was buzzing with chat the rest of the evening lol. He picked on Rogers biggest black belt as well, but was even bigger - crazy mofo. Didn’t realise he was 19 though!

Was pretty insane. Locker room was buzzing with chat the rest of the evening lol. He picked on Rogers biggest black belt as well, but was even bigger - crazy mofo. Didn’t realise he was 19 though!

Didn't someone else kick him in the head as well?

I heard that's where the tooth came out.

Someone from the academy was nice & put his tooth in a plastic bag for him as well.

Someone from the academy was nice & put his tooth in a plastic bag for him as well.

The BJJ Gangster equivalent of sending flowers to the funeral of a man you killed.

First time I heard that - must have missed that part.

I think ultimately if the guy has a screw loose the whole thing is a shame. He shouldn’t be in court, he should be getting help.

I'll be the one to say it. This may ruffle some feathers but if you read without emotion you may find some truth, and can relate:

Honestly sometimes BJJ gyms can be egotistical as hell, so I wonder what else might have been going on. They also size up new people pretty hard. Gyms vary but the competitive ones I have seen do this.

Also, that fake friendship stuff a lot of them throw at you can be annoying. They always ask with a smile "have you trained before?" Then you tell them no, or just messed around with some guys. They'll try to legit dismantle you (the lower belts) like you're their final affirmation or something that the style works.

Coming in I already had wrestled and dabbled in Judo so I was not an easy go, plus I was in much better shape and AFTER they learned their basic techniques couldn't do me in it's almost like I became one of the boys.

Not everyone gets this. I've seen some rude stuff done to guys who weren't in the clique so to speak.

Personally, if I wanted to show someone that something works I would do it in a private setting just so I wouldn't risk bruising their ego in front of that many people.

I've been handled by the gym owner one on one and we went to a whole different room, only his second in charge brown belt witnessed it. I've also handled people in a setting away from their peers. People don't like to be embarrassed and there are people who will try to make a name off of someone else. Of course, I wasn't there but I'm recalling what I've seen.

I still don’t see whe did the instructor punched him in the face, take him down again, mount him a la mat Serra and wait for the cops to come, or put him to sleep and take the piece of shit out of the gym... if he comes back in, take him down and beat the living shit out of hm

I'll be the one to say it. This may ruffle some feathers but if you read without emotion you may find some truth, and can relate:

Honestly sometimes BJJ gyms can be egotistical as hell, so I wonder what else might have been going on. They also size up new people pretty hard. Gyms vary but the competitive ones I have seen do this.

Also, that fake friendship stuff a lot of them throw at you can be annoying. They always ask with a smile "have you trained before?" Then you tell them no, or just messed around with some guys. They'll try to legit dismantle you (the lower belts) like you're their final affirmation or something that the style works.

Coming in I already had wrestled and dabbled in Judo so I was not an easy go, plus I was in much better shape and AFTER they learned their basic techniques couldn't do me in it's almost like I became one of the boys.

Not everyone gets this. I've seen some rude stuff done to guys who weren't in the clique so to speak.

Personally, if I wanted to show someone that something works I would do it in a private setting just so I wouldn't risk bruising their ego in front of that many people.

I've been handled by the gym owner one on one and we went to a whole different room, only his second in charge brown belt witnessed it. I've also handled people in a setting away from their peers. People don't like to be embarrassed and there are people who will try to make a name off of someone else. Of course, I wasn't there but I'm recalling what I've seen.

I'm almost 100% sure it was nothing like this. I think he walked in with bad intentions.
The guy came in for a BJJ intro class—where an instructor runs you through the basics in a 1 to 1 type setting.
The first instructor to was ~170lbs and the guy asked for someone bigger.
So they got a bigger instructor and then the whole thing started.

Roger's gym gets loads of visitors everyday—it's a big gym.
The coaches there don't have anything to prove to some random guy on the street.

Back