Den of Thieves - upcoming crime thriller with Gerard Butler (UPDATE: Saw it tonight, it's great!)

He demonstrated some range in The Phantom of the Opera. Not only was it a musical, but he played an emotionally tortured character and did a pretty good job of it.

I suspect a big reason we don't see much range from him is because he always plays the same kinds of characters. But, in my opinion at least, he does a pretty good job with the roles that he is given.

Do me a favor and watch this clip real quick. This may not be your style, but you have to at least admit that it's something different from him.

I actually watched that movie. He didn't ruin it, but he was forgettable. I literally forgot he was in it.

I love it when film makers include a rapper in a film. It's like they're saying 'hey, if you want to see a movie with good writing, decent acting, and a plot, go ahead and skip this one'.

They're really doing you a favor there.

Eminem was good in 8 Mile and that was a solid movie. But if you don't want to count that one since it was basically telling his own story, then Ice Cube and Ludicris have appeared in some enjoyable films.

Also, let's not forget that Will Smith started out as a rapper, and Marky Marky may not have been a straight up rapper but he was regarded as a hip-hop artist.

I'll be checking this one out without a doubt. It's not going to be Heat, but it could be good.

Eminem was good in 8 Mile and that was a solid movie. But if you don't want to count that one since it was basically telling his own story, then Ice Cube and Ludicris have appeared in some enjoyable films.

Also, let's not forget that Will Smith started out as a rapper, and Marky Marky may not have been a straight up rapper but he was regarded as a hip-hop artist.

I forgot to mention MMA fighters too. Another sure sign of turribleness

<1>

I forgot to mention MMA fighters too. Another sure sign of turribleness

<1>

If they're a leading player, then yeah, the vast majority of the time. I remember when Roger Huerta was talking about leaving MMA to be an actor because he landed a small part in Tekken. I don't think that really worked out for him.

Haywire with Carano was pretty good, though.

Check out this other gem:

The story is decent for straight to video. I wonder how they can afford Bruce Willis. The action scene wasn't bad but could've been way better if it had higher budget. I give props to the director for trying to make a good movie with all the constraints he had.

Not sure to be honest. If you're going to get something that large I'm not sure why you'd ever go with a pistol cartridge. Just get yourself an AR "pistol" and call it a day. If you're smart, you'll go with 300 BLK which was literally designed for this specific task, but even 5.56 NATO blows 9mm/45ACP/10mm out of the water.

It's Kriss by the way. And you want it because it looks cool.

I'm probably going to get an AK or a Sig 556 this year. I'm leaning towards the Sig.

Check out this other gem:

The story is decent for straight to video. I wonder how they can afford Bruce Willis. The action scene wasn't bad but could've been way better if it had higher budget. I give props to the director for trying to make a good movie with all the constraints he had.

I've seen it and I agree with you. For a low-budget DTV action film, it's actually pretty good. You can tell the writer and director were really working their asses off to try to make something cool with relatively little money, and for the most part I thought they succeeded.

@BisexualMMA and I actually discussed it a little while back. If you want to check that out, it starts on Post 29:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...-to-find-out-if-any-of-them-dont-suck.3596659

I'm probably going to get an AK or a Sig 556 this year. I'm leaning towards the Sig.

I'd go with an AR-15 over the AK for a number of reasons. Customization is the number one factor. AKs are generally you get what you get and that's it. ARs can have all the parts swapped out to make whatever you want. 7.63x39 is a decent round, but there's nothing that it does that you can't get with a barrel swap on an AR-15.

If you do want to spend a pretty penny on an AR, I'd look at the following rifles. These are the best ones I've put my hands on. Of course, for $1500-$2000 you can custom build a sick AR15 with a little research and time.

Sig M400 Elite

BCM Mod 2

Colt LE6960 combat carbine

Daniel Defense M4A1 or V11

LaRue PredatAR

LWRC IC-SPR

I'll be checking this one out without a doubt. It's not going to be Heat, but it could be good.

Really I don't think it gets any better than Heat. It's got to be the all time greatest heist movie. The Town is a pretty good one, but Heat is just on a level of its own.

You have Pacino, Robert De Niro, Killer, Judd, Voight, Sizemore and Portman.... All of them straight killing it.

You have zero special effects. All the firefights were "real". They all used real rifles with blanks rather than having CGI inserting effects later.

All the actors trained with British SAS and had operators on set during filming to ensure everything was tactically accurate. I've yet to find a single mistake in any scene. They were textbook perfect. If there was any problem, it's that they were too good.

I can't think of anything that I enjoyed as much

the release was pushed into January so you know it’s going to be shit.

Really I don't think it gets any better than Heat. It's got to be the all time greatest heist movie. The Town is a pretty good one, but Heat is just on a level of its own.

You have Pacino, Robert De Niro, Killer, Judd, Voight, Sizemore and Portman.... All of them straight killing it.

You have zero special effects. All the firefights were "real". They all used real rifles with blanks rather than having CGI inserting effects later.

All the actors trained with British SAS and had operators on set during filming to ensure everything was tactically accurate. I've yet to find a single mistake in any scene. They were textbook perfect. If there was any problem, it's that they were too good.

Someone on this forum posted a few time about Heat being used for police training purposes. I forget the specifics but apparently it's borderline textbook study material for urban combat.

I didn't enjoy Heat all that much though, it felt almost sterile.

Deniro didn't feel as natural as he usually does and Pacino over sold it by a mile. It's been a while but it seems like Pacino played two very similar characters in Any Given Sunday and Heat.

I can kind of feel you on that, actually. I think it's a very well-made film but I rarely want to actually rewatch it.

Agreed, although I should rewatch it before condemning it.

Pacino's character on paper would appeal to me but in application something went wrong. It's almost like, what I'd imagine, watching what a person on depressants would do in his life; his level of nervous apathy towards his life crumbling apart while still being highly concerned about everything didn't feel right.

-The action was so precise it wasn't fun.
-It had an all-star cast but I don't remember anyone else being significant towards the story.

I completely agree with your assessment of Heat and The Town. Heat is unquestionably at the top of that heist genre IMO. I really enjoyed The Town too though. It's as if Ben Affleck, when making The Town, decided, "I can't capture all the magic of Heat, but I can certainly give Heat fans a taste of what they've been craving."

Looks like a straight to DVD type of movie that somehow got a bigger budget than it was supposed to get.

Reminds me of Street Kings, which I liked. Pretty awful movie, but I liked it.

Someone on this forum posted a few time about Heat being used for police training purposes. I forget the specifics but apparently it's borderline textbook study material for urban combat.

I didn't enjoy Heat all that much though, it felt almost sterile.

Deniro didn't feel as natural as he usually does and Pacino over sold it by a mile. It's been a while but it seems like Pacino played two very similar characters in Any Given Sunday and Heat.

Yeah I've seen online before that certain SOF units show it during MOUT training, but who knows. They were trained and handled by the best SOF unit around.

Pacino doesn't play characters. He plays himself with different identities.

I completely agree with your assessment of Heat and The Town. Heat is unquestionably at the top of that heist genre IMO. I really enjoyed The Town too though. It's as if Ben Affleck, when making The Town, decided, "I can't capture all the magic of Heat, but I can certainly give Heat fans a taste of what they've been craving."

Yeah they are my top two heist movies hands down. I fucking love them

I will say though that robbing a stadium like that would send you straight to the most wanted people in America. You'd probably wind up on the terror watch list for pulling that shit. DEVGRU or SOG would be kicking down your doors.

Last edited:
Back