Did Colby make a mistake?

What makes certain people cringey/not cool and others more popular?
Authenticity, truth, generally believing what you say, status.
Why did it work for McGregor and not for Colby? Colby doesn't actually believe all the stupid shit that's coming out of his mouth. Same thing with Cejudo.

Contrary to popular belief, most people aren't that easily fooled. Everyone with half a brain already knows Colby is fake. He will soon get found out.

just like everybody talked about the fat nerdy kid at school, but they did only to mock him, just like colby

he dug his own grave when he called the cops. nobody likes a rat, and it shows when he draws only prelim numers. he will never get out of that. and his fake persona is too fake, too cringy. it is seen as a joke.

Theres nothing wrong with him calling the cops on Werdum. Werdum assaulted him. These guys are pro fighters not street thugs.

Beyond that, you should just speak for yourself. Well see what happens

He just plain sucks at that, he is not carismatic, fun, nor interesring and the fact his fights are not exciting doesn't help.

Heck the whole "nerd" crap and renting this model makes him look like a even bigger need and a cuck that can't get women by himself

I think he'd be better off if he was himself but the acting worked for Conor so lots of them will try it.
GSP didn't need to do it, Khabib doesn't really do it, fighters don't need to if they're good enough.

khabib with his "tell me place and time" thing...just his way of talking. no nonsense russian badass...people like that more than fake shit...plus, colby is a huge pussy...that doesn't help. talking bad about team mates, calling the cops on other fighters...I mean who does that?

I think he'd be better off if he was himself but the acting worked for Conor so lots of them will try it.
GSP didn't need to do it, Khabib doesn't really do it, fighters don't need to if they're good enough.

It worked for Conor because he had an exciting style and he built on it as he went he did not go full insanity from day 1. Hi persona grew over time all the while delivering big exciting results. Conor also came off as more authentic until he went off the deep end.

Good question. It changed Chaels life doing the same thing. But why the difference? I think it’s cause with Chael he conveyed that he was in on the joke and it came off less mean spirited. Colby just seems like an angry dick

It worked for Chael because Chael had charisma to back it up, he had enough balance that people still liked him he was not just hated. Chael also could come up with stuff on the spot, he could easily go off script and still be clever.

Colby cannot deliver his lines without is sounding horribly forced if he goes off script he becomes lost, and everything he does is super lame and cringey.

There is a weird thing that has happened with Colby where he is not entirely hated enough that people tune in to watch him lose people just legit don't care about him.

He just comes off more sad and pathetic than edgy and must watch.

Combine all that with a boring style and he is like the perfect storm of nobody cares and his numbers reflect that.

His shtick will never get him to super stardom and with his gimmick as soon as he loses he is done and he knows it that is why he is trying to get maximum payday for this fight to cash out because if he wins he wont have likely have a long reign on top and there is a very good chance he losses and than its game over for him.

Theres nothing wrong with him calling the cops on Werdum. Werdum assaulted him. These guys are pro fighters not street thugs.

Beyond that, you should just speak for yourself. Well see what happens

You don't call the cops...just like when you're a kid...you don't go running to mommy and daddy for help...that's pretty much what colby did....except replace parents with pigs...

If Colby had never done the gimmick, he wouldn't be in the UFC. The downside is people genuinely don't like him, but thats only really a downside if you want to be liked.

He would've gotten cut otherwise, so no. Maybe he just needs to improve his execution.

If Colby wasn't running with this gimmick he'd never get any mention, but a gimmick can only take you but so far. What we're seeing with Colby is that the gimmick has peaked, in my opinion. At the end of the day this is the sport of fighting, and while Colby is quite successful at it, there is a very clear ceiling for fighters who do not routinely secure finishes. Colby is hitting his head on it now and there is only one way to get through.

Yes...just playing the odds...now I'm going to go read the OP and see if I'm right.

You don't call the cops...just like when you're a kid...you don't go running to mommy and daddy for help...that's pretty much what colby did....except replace parents with pigs...

I mean.. yeah if you have the mindset of a child you might think that way

No he didn't. Nobody ever talked about him before, and now everyone does. He may not be Conor famous but he made a name for himself.

Rumours are the Colby Marty title fight is almost signed

The problem is that he's started believing his own bullshit behind the scenes too. Without, the Usman fight would have already been signed.

Good question. It changed Chaels life doing the same thing. But why the difference? I think it’s cause with Chael he conveyed that he was in on the joke and it came off less mean spirited. Colby just seems like an angry dick
Colby is a completely different person when not playing his gimmick. Look how polite and friendly he is when speaking to non-MMA crew.

This is the real Colby. A bland, boring, polite jock.

Also note how they clickbaited with the Colby thumbnail for this video when he only talks for 15 seconds in it. That's because he sells. People may not like him, but they KNOW him. And that's just as important in fight promotion.

His whole shtick is making people TDS hate him, but he forgot they are almost all poor.

Nah. He's seen as just another run of your mill wrestler from the US with a bland personality. Colby did the right thing.

Last edited:
If Colby had never done the gimmick, he wouldn't be in the UFC. The downside is people genuinely don't like him, but thats only really a downside if you want to be liked.
Yeah, but most people do. Including Colby imo.

Don't think so. Gimmicks are in now and if you don't have a character or a catchphrase people can belt out then you get left behind.

I think you’re right. Colby would probably be gone already if it were for his gimmick.

Even Masvidal who is mentioned in the original thread has a gimmick. It might be authentic, but the whole “street Jesus” thing is what really has made him stand out from the pack lately.

I mean look at Gregor Gillsespie. We are all waiting for him to fight top guys,and its only about his wrestling skill level. Colby might have eventually got there. I dont know. All i can say is his gimmick doesnt really have mass appeal,its super try hard,desperate...he doesnt have the charisma to pull this kind of thing off,and pissing off everyone around him isnt going to work out well for him in the end. Which will probably come sooner rather than later. When even Michael Bisping calls you a wanker,well,what more can be said?

If Colby wasn't running with this gimmick he'd never get any mention, but a gimmick can only take you but so far. What we're seeing with Colby is that the gimmick has peaked, in my opinion. At the end of the day this is the sport of fighting, and while Colby is quite successful at it, there is a very clear ceiling for fighters who do not routinely secure finishes. Colby is hitting his head on it now and there is only one way to get through.
The UFC is actively working AGAINST him, as we have seen evidence of Dana's grudges against him. If he got anywhere near the push they gave cans like Till or Sage, he would be a massive draw. They're doing him dirty every step of the way. I honestly think he should pull a Cyborg and just leave for Bellator where he'd be appreciated. Fuck Dana and his favoritism.

10 years from now, we will look back on this year and wonder about the biggest "what if" in the sport when we lament our deprivation of Colby vs Usman. This will be the Fedor vs Couture of the next generation.

Back