Dillashaw: "the UFC never granted a zero title defense champion an immediate rematch.."

A champion on a 0 defence streak shouldn't be calling out the record holder either, especially one from a lower weight class.
I personally would rather have a 0 defense title holder call out the lower weight champ than a 10 defense title holder.

WTF should Cody of all people get a TS? He never paid his dues for the first one. Skipping whole top 5s. Straight from #8 to gold. Then got KTFO in first defense. He needs to pay his dues. Beat a couple top 5 guys like Lineker and Rivera then he's ready. Didnt TJ have to beat two top 5s after he lost belt? Same deal.

TJ sucks at PR in the attitude era almost sounds like whining. He needs to say "is Cody even awake yet? I knocked him cold get in the back of the line" "couple good wins and he's ready" "i want cruz's punk ass after he stole my belt"

Is that what you want to hear from TJ, or what you think fans want to hear

I would say give Cody Garbrandt the rematch, because I REALLY want to see him get beaten down again! I get the feeling that Cody is a real dick and I like seeing guys like that get their ass kicked. I might be wrong on him, but I don't like the guys hair trigger anger. He seems almost out of control sometimes. I root more for the quiet, humble killers. {2 fav fighters are Cro cop and Liddell}

Dillashaw recently said this about Cody. Is this true? I keep trying to think of a champion but none comes to mind.

Would you want to see this rematch with Garbrandt? I honestly would rather see this than Dilly vs MM.
Couture v Vitor II. but that shouldn't count, for obvious reasons. and Randy had different defenses for different titles in different time/space.

there's a wiki page on all champs, but i'm too lazy right now to slog through it and do the actual research.
Lyoto in my eyes and majority of the fans lost the belt to Shogun at UFC 104 then Rua defended it at 113
EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_champions Randy v Rizzo. and i didn't even get past the HW's. maybe there's others.

EDIT 2: oh wait, Rizzo was technically never champ. he just fought twice in a row for it. so technically that's not a counter to Dillishaw's claim.
Well, Randy Couture got an immediate rematch vs Belfort without successfully defending the undisputed title. It’s technically so.

Granted for good reason but it’s good trivia

Didn’t know that. It feels like they would’ve
Then why bring it up. That was a horrible example.
because it's technically accurate, of course. a horrible and technically accurate example.

so to quote Jules, "if my answers frighten you, cease asking scary questions."
Because people likely found the statement interesting because they never thought about it and did research to see if there was a case in which they did. Just so happens there was one albeit with understandable circumstances.

It’s good trivia. No need to be a baby about it.
If Dillashaw put anymore constraints on this statement then the results would probably be a negative number.

Number of "zero title defense immediate rematches" granted in UFC history: 2.

UFC 49 - Belfort vs. Couture II
Context: Couture lost the title against Belfort due to doctor stoppage via cut eyelid.

UFC 218 - Holloway vs. Aldo II
Context: Aldo replaced an injured Edgar.

Both are technically true and prove Dillashaw's argument as false.

However, Dillashaw would be wrong if he said that the UFC has never granted a champion an immediate rematch. By confining it to a champion with "zero title defenses" it's a lot more limiting to disprove, though based on the above not impossible.

There have been several instances where champions received immediate rematches. The fact of the matter is, Dillashaw got rocked and saved by the bell in his fight against Garbrandt, has a loss against Cruz, and a legitimate and fresh contender in Rivera. The fact that he's trying to argue a case for deserving a fight against DJ (and for the Flyweight title no less) is certainly a great business move, however, it's far from respectable and could be argued as cowardly given that he has two contenders waiting and a third on the way (Garbrandt) if he can get a couple of wins this year.

Because people likely found the statement interesting because they never thought about it and did research to see if there was a case in which they did. Just so happens there was one albeit with understandable circumstances.

It’s good trivia. No need to be a baby about it.

because it's technically accurate, of course. a horrible and technically accurate example.

so to quote Jules, "if my answers frighten you, cease asking scary questions."

It was a doctor's stoppage due to a cut. Garbrandt got KTFOed. Completely fucking different. I can't believe you're comparing these two.

But Cody defended the title against TJ...sure it wasn't a successful defense, but it was one.
Doesn't count as a title defense. The same way if someone fights for a title an loses, it doesn't count as them winning the Belt.

If Dillashaw put anymore constraints on this statement then the results would probably be a negative number.

Number of "zero title defense immediate rematches" granted in UFC history: 2.

UFC 49 - Belfort vs. Couture II
Context: Couture lost the title against Belfort due to doctor stoppage via cut eyelid.

UFC 218 - Holloway vs. Aldo II
Context: Aldo replaced an injured Edgar.

Both are technically true and prove Dillashaw's argument as false.

However, Dillashaw would be wrong if he said that the UFC has never granted a champion an immediate rematch. By confining it to a champion with "zero title defenses" it's a lot more limiting to disprove, though based on the above not impossible.

There have been several instances where champions received immediate rematches. The fact of the matter is, Dillashaw got rocked and saved by the bell in his fight against Garbrandt, has a loss against Cruz, and a legitimate and fresh contender in Rivera. The fact that he's trying to argue a case for deserving a fight against DJ (and for the Flyweight title no less) is certainly a great business move, however, it's far from respectable and could be argued as cowardly given that he has two contenders waiting and a third on the way (Garbrandt) if he can get a couple of wins this year.
You keep talking about Belfort vs Couture II and Holloway vs Aldo II as examples when they're not good ones. Garbrandt didn't lose to a doctor's stoppage, he got fucking finished. IF Dillashaw was slated to face someone else and that person gets injured and in steps Garbrandt, fine. But to have a Dillashaw vs Garbrandt II straight off the bat, it doesn't make sense. Either Dillashaw vs Cruz II or Dillashaw vs Johnson.

Cody absolutely deserves a rematch. I think he wins it if he gets it.

When TJ said no to rematching Cody in March to help save a card, he prob lost his chance at the DJ fight in July. Yet reality is, he hasn't defended and is calling out a champ in a lower weight class that has done leaps and bounds more then TJ has done and more then he will prob ever do. Cody is being pushed by the UFC, so it only makes sense to get him back in a title fight asap. He's still the number one contender at 135, and much more of a draw then TJ. Cruz vs O'Malley, Moraes vs Rivera, Sterling vs Lopez, Assuncao vs Stamman, Elliot vs Linekar, etc etc.. will sort out the division, while TJ either defends or Cody wins and sets up the third fight in Sacramento in late 2018. TJ has posted pics and many posts on social media saying he's training and healthy, then he says he has an injury when the Cody fight was offered for March, then on mma hour this week he said he's "playing the game" and the injury is minor and for the right amount of money he wouldve taken the fight, which is basically what most call ducking Cody.

My brain keeps telling me it must have happened at least once in the Penn/Edgar/Bendo era at LW, even though I know it didn't.

Immediate rematches should be (by far) the exception, not the rule. Only guy I can think of that didn't get one that should have is Aldo. I can think of a lot that shouldn't have happened.

I wanna see TJ vs MM main even, Jimmy Rivera vs Cody co-main (winner gets title shot)

Dillashaw recently said this about Cody. Is this true? I keep trying to think of a champion but none comes to mind.

Would you want to see this rematch with Garbrandt? I honestly would rather see this than Dilly vs MM.
They also never granted a zero title defense champion a shot at another belt, while keeping his own.......except Conor!

It was a doctor's stoppage due to a cut. Garbrandt got KTFOed. Completely fucking different. I can't believe you're comparing these two.
i'm not comparing them. i'm answering TS's question

"is it true that the UFC never granted a zero title defense champion an immediate rematch"​

and i found an example of it not being true. so i answered.

just because you woke up grumpy doesn't mean you get to completely stop fucking thinking, kid.

Last edited:
You keep talking about Belfort vs Couture II and Holloway vs Aldo II as examples when they're not good ones. Garbrandt didn't lose to a doctor's stoppage, he got fucking finished. IF Dillashaw was slated to face someone else and that person gets injured and in steps Garbrandt, fine. But to have a Dillashaw vs Garbrandt II straight off the bat, it doesn't make sense. Either Dillashaw vs Cruz II or Dillashaw vs Johnson.

Wouldn't that be an immediate title shot for Cruz after losing the title?

And why the fuck isn't Cruz fighting these days?

Cody absolutely deserves a rematch. I think he wins it if he gets it.
He got knocked out! It wasn't a close decision, he lost brutally! Why do people like Rivera, Assuncao, Moraes etc just get skipped over?

Back