News DJ For Askren trade is a done deal

The fight wasn't super close. He lost.

He has lost before.

He was never a ppv draw and can only gain from fighting in another organization where he can be a real star.
uh the fight was super close, it could have gone either way. don't get me wrong i'm glad cejudo won but i thought for sure the judges would give it to DJ because he was the champion, since they usually give it to the champ in close fights and i wasn't sure how they would score it since cejudo did get takedowns but he didn't really do much on top.

and i know he's lost before, but he was super dominant which is why i said " finally lost ".

No brainer for DJ. He will get paid more to beat up even bigger cans than he was already

Lol only people that have a remote chance against Askren is Colby and GSP because they have good defensive wrestling and the cardio to keep up with his pace. Usman's wrestling is hilariously overrated (division 2 .. REALLY?!?!?!) and Woodley is getting up there in years but i could see askren cage pressing for 25 minutes in that fight.
You think a fresh twood can't stuff a couple half assed td attempts and ko askren?

It's still so strange to think about a trade like this happening. Good luck to both in their new homes. curious to see how they do.

DJ is the winner in this
He already owns UFC records, he was the UFC belt holder
His only real challenge left aside from a Cejudo fight was moving up something he wasn’t comfortable with

This is a better altnerative to 1) moving up and losing 2) fighting at FLW for the rest of his career for lower than his actual worth until he got old or 3) retiring from MMA

He leaves the UFC as one of their most dominant champions and with Matt Hume being his former manager, friend and mentor he will probably restructure for a huge deal from ONE and fight out the rest of his career making way more money than he ever would in the UFC.

so weird.

DJ finally loses in a super close fight that could've gone either way and just leaves? won't even do his rematch?
And claims he likes the deal?

I sure would love flying a few weeks before a fight to acclimate to the time difference, instead of flying to LV from WA

DJ went from being the "P4P GOAT" (not my words), loses 1 close fight (the most exciting fight since the divisions inception) and he's traded. Aaaand his entire division is gone like ....

tenor.gif

And he's traded for a guy who has deliberately kept out of the UFC for the last 5-8 years for the sole reason that he is the antithesis of a draw ...

giphy.gif

I'm not a fan of either, but I'm glad to see Ben get his chance and I'm saddened for the absolute disrespect shown to him by the UFC (I hope this trade benefits him greatly).

And what about Cejudo?

You think a fresh twood can't stuff a couple half assed td attempts and ko askren?
lol . "half assed takedown attempts" you mean the same attempts that destroyed woodley on the mat? Listen to Michael Chandler and Pettis talk about woodley and askren rolling. Askren toyed with him on the ground.

And that fight goes 2 ways - Woodley KOs him early or Askren goes on and imposes his will. cant get the thought of division 2 non AA , unathletic jake shields outworking woodley to a decision. Askren would make shields his wife .

Is the UFC still fighting a lawsuit saying they run a monopoly on the sport or whatever? Interesting way to shift that dynamic if so

DJ went from being the "P4P GOAT" (not my words), loses 1 close fight (the most exciting fight since the divisions inception) and he's traded. Aaaand his entire division is gone like ....

tenor.gif

And he's traded for a guy who has deliberately kept out of the UFC for the last 5-8 years for the sole reason that he is the antithesis of a draw ...

giphy.gif

I'm not a fan of either, but I'm glad to see Ben get his chance and I'm saddened for the absolute disrespect shown to him by the UFC (I hope this trade benefits him greatly).

And what about Cejudo?
Is it confirmed that 125 is leaving?

One step forward and 5 steps back for the sport.

No more Demetrious Johnson also means no more 125 division.
Yeah this is pretty much what is going to happen. I'm sure UFC is pulling the plug on125lbs, everyone there can go up to 135lbs or leave, and they're gonna introduce more weight-classes higher up.

This has been rumored for a while, and i think DJ decided he didn't want to go fight at 135lbs which I do find quite disappointing. For all the GOAT talk about DJ, he should be able to move up to 135lbs and do at *least* very well. His extreme reluctance to fight TJ Dillashaw even though Dillashaw said "hey man....no probs...i'll come down to 125lbs, YOUR weight class" I must admit to finding v disappointing from DJ's perspective. DJ ducked Dillashaw IMHO no two ways about it.

No brainer for DJ. He will get paid more to beat up even bigger cans than he was already
And the Asian market doesn't mind if their fighters are devoid of personality. They also don't mind fighters who only fight to decision. It's just elevated point fighting for them.

Back