Movies DUNE: PART TWO (Release Pushed Back to March 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: June 29, 2023

2nd Official Trailer for Denis Villeneuve's DUNE: PART TWO

Holy shit that trailer was amazing. Legit goosebumps. I had some mixed feelings in regards to the first one, eventhough it was a great cinematic spectacle in IMAX. However, based on the trailer, this looks superior. Hitting all the notes, less somber than the first, with a proper climax AND the soundtrack sounds seems less intrusive. Finger crossed, all the potential for something masterful is there.

I heard they went woke with this 2nd movie. They're mad because there's not enough females in the book during this part, so they added much more screen time to the ladies, which wasn't in the original novels.

I heard they went woke with this 2nd movie. They're mad because there's not enough females in the book during this part, so they added much more screen time to the ladies, which wasn't in the original novels.
Are we talking Irulan? She was a 'present but not present' character in the first book, giving most (all?) of the chapter introductions. That's a technique that doesn't work for a movie, so having her only be present in the last ten minutes and barely speaking would actually be a decrease in role from the books.

Last edited:
I liked the first one way more than expected and I’m totally in on this.

I felt the same. I remember strongly disliking the original as a kid, likely because I didnt understand it at the time. So I went into the new one with low expectations, really only seeing it because I love Villeneuve films. I still cant really describe why I loved it, I just know I did.

Man, I can't fucking wait for this movie. I am pretty worried Zendaya is going to ruin it though. She's 100x better when she doesn't talk.

i always felt this world needs a Kubrick like filmmaker to reach those fine tones that you can get from the books.
because so far it's a visual experience. it's less of a spiritual one as the books were. the bene gesserit are jedis. the mechanized aristrocracies are less overwhelming than expected. even the enormous size of the guild ships is somehow tame. and making the shai hulud look like cat buttholes doesn't really help. the only part that had a great effect was the sardaukar rituals on salusa secundus.

Huge Dune fan here. I was super hyped for the first one, but was a bit underwhelmed.

Not enough happened. But rumors are the second one will be much more action packed.

Looks like the Padishah Emperor told Paul his father was a weak man? Was that in the book? Don't remember it.

i always felt this world needs a Kubrick like filmmaker to reach those fine tones that you can get from the books.
because so far it's a visual experience. it's less of a spiritual one as the books were. the bene gesserit are jedis. the mechanized aristrocracies are less overwhelming than expected. even the enormous size of the guild ships is somehow tame. and making the shai hulud look like cat buttholes doesn't really help. the only part that had a great effect was the sardaukar rituals on salusa secundus.

You really need an hbo series to make book justice, with films you really can just grasp the surface since time is limited.Buuut still liked first one.for what it is and villeneuve knows how to direct

Btw hbo is planning dune series.....about bene gesserit lmao

You really need an hbo series to make book justice, with films you really can just grasp the surface since time is limited.Buuut still liked first one.for what it is and villeneuve knows how to direct

Btw hbo is planning dune series.....about bene gesserit lmao
ah yeah? would certainly watch. the gesserit are the most interesting group in the Dune universe.

Lol I feel you. You're right, but let's be realistic. These Dune films are good for what we have available. Especially in this climate.

This is pure greed on my part but Villeneuve continues to talk up his plans to adapt Dune Messiah as well

https://collider.com/dune-3-messiah-adaptation/

Obviously, Dune 2 needs to perform but I think that is quite likely.

For those of you who are not familiar with the books, Dune Messiah both completes and re-frames the original Dune epic. It really is one big story and if Villeneuve manages to cover it in 3 movies it will be a collective masterpiece.

The first film I would argue does the reverse, people focused on Kynes being made female but really that character was just another poor native for the white saviour Paul to protect which is exactly the opposite of the books view were Kynes's realises how bad his people getting roped in as followers for a "hero" would be.

Meanwhile Jessica is reduced to a fretting mother character for Paul rather than arguably the strongest(certainly the best fighter) most in the know character on the Atreides side pre Pauls awakening and Duncan Idaho gets turned into an action hero instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmaltheknight
Back