Dustin Poirier - "I never finished 9th grade" Is Dustin a proper role model?

Lafayette isn't terrible but the traffic is. All the growth is in the neighboring country areas of Youngsville and Broussard. I visited my family last month and that area has grown rapidly in just 18 months.
I'm originally from New Iberia and Lafayette has always been one big traffic nightmare..IMO...lol

Most fighters are bullies.

Some of them have stories of being bullied, and that’s why they started training....but they are full of shit.

There are a few exceptions, but mostly, the good fighters are bullies.
that's what got gsp into the martial arts.

So was Bill Gates. But you have to look at full statistics vs outliers to see that a few years of studying could dramatically improve the quality of your life forever.
I think it depends on what you're studying. I can see College being valueable if you are pursuing a career in one of the Sciences. Certainly wouldn't have hurt Jobs or Gates being in the Computer field, but I'm guessing they both knew whoever got to the market the fastest was going to make the most money.

I have a kid in College and he's studying to be an Engineer. THAT is a valid reason to pay for College. I told both my kids, if you want to go to College I'll find a way to pay for it, but you have to take something that will get you lots of employment options, and a high paying career, or you can pay for it yourselves. ;)

Wondering if he is Full of Shit on that one.. The Countdown show said he and his wife were HS Sweethearts.. So what you quit in 9th grade and she kept dating you until she graduated? I also read he wrestled in HS..

I think it's admirable that he didn't finish high school and went on to be a success. Some people make stupid decisions when they're younger, I didn't take my studies seriously at all when I was younger, never obtained a degree or finished an apprenticeship but I managed to land on my feet in a successful career ( for now ). He took a chance, a big chance and it paid off.

Question for Americans that might have already been answered ITT... What is 9th grade? Is that high school or middle school?

For someone who didn’t finish 9th grade he’s pretty well spoken so I don’t think it hindered him in anyway.

I dont know how 2 reed or right OP, u hav problum?

Seems to me that is what a role model should be. He didnt get everything handed to him, yet he was still able to rise above. Where he grew up there are probably lots of kids who arent able to finish school.

Dustin NEVER finished the 9th grade, yet he received the key to the city. Is that inspirational or is it sending the wrong message to kids?

You don't have to go to school, you can get punched in the face and make it in life. Is this really who people of Lafayette should look up to?

On the other hand, a degree doesn't guarantee success. Carwin had a degree in mechenical engineering and still gassed.
giphy.gif

School is just an indoctination camp for the banks future debt slave. Most people who are born in worker class never make it out of that class.

Dustin NEVER finished the 9th grade, yet he received the key to the city. Is that inspirational or is it sending the wrong message to kids?

You don't have to go to school, you can get punched in the face and make it in life. Is this really who people of Lafayette should look up to?

On the other hand, a degree doesn't guarantee success. Carwin had a degree in mechenical engineering and still gassed.
giphy.gif

Lol that shit threw me off too. But let's not take it out of context. I think he's just saying that despite his hillbilly reading level, he pushed through and made a success of himself.

If he finishes Khabib even though he didn't finish 9th grade, how about we let him off the hook?

Most fighters come from disadvantaged backgrounds.
What is a proper fighter background to you? Masters in Science and extracurricular activities? Lmao.
Realise that pretty much no one from a normal background gets into pro fighting.

Floyd Mayweather proves that knowledge is overrated. The richest folks in the world never finished college.

Back