Edgar will do better on the feet than Aldo did.

Either they're smaller than Max, have lesser TDD, weren't afraid to go there, were wrestlers themselves, or some combination of the four. And again, this doesn't disprove the advantage being there at all. Because Frankie has overcome a certain obstacle in the past doesn't make it not an obstacle. I'm sure he would have had an easier time if these opponents were smaller.

You mean to tell me he hasn't fought an exact replica of max Holloway before?!

i think he has a better chance of SURVIVING on the feet yeah, because he won't gas himself out throwing power shots and brawling and he has good cardio and movement.

i still think max is gonna beat him up pretty good.

I do think Frankie will do better on the feet, mostly due to the threat of the takedown and his movement / set ups.

I still see him having limited success, not hurting Holloway with anything, getting bloodied up, and finished in the later rounds.

I doubt it. Edgar got out ranged by Aldo twice who is a lot closer to his length than Max.

I don't see Edgar getting max down.

giphy.gif

It’s amazing as to how good Aldo is. In the top 5 best champions of all time.

But to TS, I think Frankie will be able to mix in his solid boxing skills with takedowns and make this a really tough fight for Max. Think Max is a stud and think he’s going to continue to do great things in MMA, but, really hoping that Frankie pulls off the win. Frankie has grown into one of my favorite fighters ever. It’s hard not to respect the guy and what he still is able to accomplish a full 10 years after making it to the top of the sport.

I like Max in this fight, but it is winnable for Edgar.

Frankie's pace, his takedowns, and the threat of takedowns could change the striking dynamic.

That said, I think Max's length as a fighter will give Edgar problems. I see it going 3-2 Max, with Edgar having his moments and maybe getting top position in a round or two.

Do you think Edgar will do better on the feet against Max than Aldo did? I do. I think that even if he can't secure a takedown, max will respect the threat and be thrown off by Frankie's takedown feints.

Bonus pic--the size difference is real. I wish Frankie went to 135lbs after UFC 200, but Frankie gonna Frankie.
yes, because he won't be as neurotic / chaotic in his attack early, and won't therefore gas in the 2nd round.

he will be technical and have a balanced, conscientious attack, and may very well make it competitive.

Frankie is legitimately world class but he's not the best. He's always been just shy of the best.

His biggest advantage against most guys is his ability to put on a pace they can't keep up with, and that has always made him one of the best wrestle-boxers in two divisions. Nobody is afraid of his power or submissions, they are afraid of drowning.

Max has freak cardio. He is cartoonishly larger than Frankie and a far better striker. He's more dangerous and I can't think of a single threat Edgar brings to the table here.

Edgar will get stopped or take a scary beating because he's so tough.

You mean to tell me he hasn't fought an exact replica of max Holloway before?!

Not anyone even remotely similar, let alone an exact replica. Since you didn't reply to any of the other points I made, and decided you would rather post a "lulzy" one-liner, I'll take that as you conceding them.

Do you think Edgar will do better on the feet against Max than Aldo did? I do. I think that even if he can't secure a takedown, max will respect the threat and be thrown off by Frankie's takedown feints.
Much as I love Edgar, I think this is Holloway's fight to lose. Based off the Aldo fights, it looks like most of the takedown defense begins well before the actual takedown is shot, and Holloway has a number of tools at his disposal.

His height and ability to fight long will be a problem, as he's a fighter who finds and utilizes his range to pick guys apart, with scary execution. He doesn't have the most reach (even for his height), but his defense in many of the exchanges allows him to simply fade away from counters, where even if they do land, he has a solid enough chin to absorb blows and fire back. That's not the type of fight Edgar wants to be in, as he's likely to come up on the receiving end much more often.

Fighting at range and in the lowered stance Holloway tends to, allows him to anticipate the TD and respond, along with a fair chance at stuffing/stalling them out. Edgar certainly mixes up his attempts, but there's only going to be so many methods to approach at range. Once Holloway sees the game plan, there's fair potential he capitalizes and pulls away as things go on.

Now Edgar has fought guys as big and heavier than Holloway, for sure. Personally, I think he's really going to have to use all of his arsenal, including generous leg kicks (while intercepting any of Holloway's), but the champ is a scary guy, in his prime, firing on all cylinders, all while supremely confident. I don't like to doubt Edgar, but I do think this is an uphill battle for him. May the better man win.

Last edited:
edgar will do better but holloway will still outbox him, that's all about reach.

aldo was too emotional in those fights, he was throwing everything into every punch and head hunting. edgar will definitely fight smarter.

I never understood why Aldo stopped trying to take down strikers like he used to. Too many injuries and miles on the clock I guess.

Offensive TD%:
74% GSP
72% JOSE ALDO
56% Demetrious "Mighty" Johnson
55% Chad Mendes
54% Brock Lesnar
51% Chris Weidman's Father's Boy
50% Jon "Bones" Jones
50% Dominator Cruz
47% Hendricks
43% Cain
39% DC
35% Frankie Edgar

Aldo was great everywhere and just got omer dimensional. I really think injuries altered him as a fighter.

Frankie is going to get battered unless he gets a take-down and keeps it there.

Probably, it's a completely different matchup. Apart from the td threat, frankie moves A LOT, in and out, and throws a lot of volume, unlike aldo. don't forget he has some of the best cardio p4p too. It's going to be a 5 rd war, no doubt about it. I like both fighters so may the best man win.

Not anyone even remotely similar, let alone an exact replica. Since you didn't reply to any of the other points I made, and decided you would rather post a "lulzy" one-liner, I'll take that as you conceding them.

The post i replied to had one point. You later added several caveats and cop outs, aka moving the goal post, in order to save face after I proved your point to be moot in the case of frankie Edgar. I don't follow people once they change their arguments and add caveats.

Frankie is legitimately world class but he's not the best. He's always been just shy of the best.

His biggest advantage against most guys is his ability to put on a pace they can't keep up with, and that has always made him one of the best wrestle-boxers in two divisions. Nobody is afraid of his power or submissions, they are afraid of drowning.

Max has freak cardio. He is cartoonishly larger than Frankie and a far better striker. He's more dangerous and I can't think of a single threat Edgar brings to the table here.

Edgar will get stopped or take a scary beating because he's so tough.

Do you think max is the best?

He didn't forget, he got taught not to kick. Max punished him for kicks early.

He did land several hard unanswered leg kicks in the rematch. Historically, Max just eats leg kicks or tries to counter them--more often than not he eats them.

It isn't at all. Being taller in grappling exchanges provides just as many benefits as it would standing. Have you ever tried shooting in on someone taller than you compared to someone who is shorter than you? That's not to mention the advantages that he already has from being larger or heavier in general. And keep in mind he doesn't have to be a better grappler than Frankie to do well. He just has to keep him off, which requires considerably less skill. This is the comment someone would make or like if they've never grappled in their life.
being shorter is definitely a advantage if you're ontop taller guys can play a better guard.
Also there's many takedowns which work better on taller fighters then guys who are shorter with lower hips, can't generalize and say " you ever shot on a tall guy" because everybody's leverages and strengths are different.

Frankie's not too short "to do anything with max on the ground" only someone who's never grappled would say that.
You may fit that description

Back