Fighters with Japanese Jujitsu background?

My instructor has a B.B. in Japanese JJ. Never said for certain if anything we learned came from that or BJJ. We trained mixed and had several styles worked in. He’s now a 3rd degree B.B. in BJJ so any move gets credited from that.

Joe Duffy is a blackbelt in JJJ and he submitted the greatest grappler of all time...The NOTORIOUS Conor McGregor

P.S. he did actuall sub Ivan Jorge in the UFC who I believe is a BJJ blackbelt seem to remember the whole JJJ BJJ thing being mentioned by the commentating team

From what I've seen / experienced it is more due to the training methods that JJJ commonly use - generally they seem to incorporate less use of rolling / randori and more scenario based training with little to no resistance offered by the Uke / opponent.

^^^ This ^^^

I bet if there was an emphasis on hard sparring and rolling like in bjj it would be different.

2n7nq11.jpg

Real talk?

Which branch did you train in?
I stopped training regularly like 15 years ago but I was religious about it for about 5 years. The style was called Can-Ryu.

I studied under Hanshi John Therien and also trained kickboxing with Jean-Yves Theriault. It was a very self-defense oriented style with lots of eye, throat and groin strikes, pressure points, joint locks and throws. Very little grappling and rudimentary striking.

I kinda grew out of it and started training Muay Thai and Wing Chun, but it was a solid base. I still instinctively breakfall and have ridiculously strong legs from so much goddamn Horse stance.

The problem is that Japanese Jiu-Jitsu morphed into the modern sport Judo forms in the early to mid 1900s. BJJ was formed from a combat oriented version of jiu jitsu before it became more of a sport than a combat art; it was technically still a part of the newer Judo movement, as Maeda was a part of the Kodokan, but Judo techniques at the same were still the same as jiu-jitsu, only with a different philosophy and sport competition background, and most people still called it jiu-jitsu.

This sport/competition philosophy was the greatest strength of Judo over JJ, but also it's biggest downfall as a legitimate combat art; as Judo became more and more of a sport, it's techniques depended more and more on people who were willing to play the Judo game rather than people from all combat backgrounds, and this watered down many of the techniques. Nowadays, there just really aren't many people who still do JJ out there, and the ones that do are working on techniques from a century ago, while BJJ develops new techniques every year. The art stagnated as sport judo grew, and it's just outdated.

Fusen-ryu is old school ground based JJJ

Most koryu JJJ is for the battlefield. Armor grappling and shit.

H all, new here to the group. Unable to create my own thread yet. So I need to hijack this one momentarily. I am considering taking either Dentokan Aiki jiu jitsu or Sosuishi-ryu jiu Jitsu, which both dojos are near me. I am going from a Judo background into either one of these disciplines and I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight on what exactly are the differences between these 2 JJJ styles. What does one do that the other does and vice versa. Yes, I also tried googling this and it wasn't very informative in regards to that question. Google only gives a lot of history about where they came from and stuff like that.

Thanks

H all, new here to the group. Unable to create my own thread yet. So I need to hijack this one momentarily. I am considering taking either Dentokan Aiki jiu jitsu or Sosuishi-ryu jiu Jitsu, which both dojos are near me. I am going from a Judo background into either one of these disciplines and I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight on what exactly are the differences between these 2 JJJ styles. What does one do that the other does and vice versa. Yes, I also tried googling this and it wasn't very informative in regards to that question. Google only gives a lot of history about where they came from and stuff like that.

Thanks
First, welcome to Sherdog. We have a lot of different forums here. For your questions, you might have better luck in the Training Discussion forum, particularly the grappling technique section.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/grappling-technique.12/

Isn't Stephen Thompson trained in Japanese jujitsu? I remember hearing some shit about it after the Matt Brown fight, could be wrong tho.

Wonderboy's dad is a black belt instructor. He incorporated Aikido in with it for street training. Lots of joint destructions and soft tissue strikes (eyes, etc). That shit's nasty and not for a cage fight.

Last edited:
Tyson Pedro is a Japanese ju jitsu black belt.
He trained in kenpo, boxing and he is a BJJ black belt too.

I discovered that Joseph Duffy and Stephen Thompson trained in ju jitsu too.

The first one is black belt in ju jitsu and taekwondo, purple belt in grappling and has trained in boxing.

The second one is 5th dan in kenpo, black belt in ju jitsu, karate and kickboxing and brown belt in grappling.
When I read about athletes being a black belt in numerous martial arts it must be a case of they respect their talents already and effectively hand them a belt, how can a person be a black belt in five martial arts that all take around ten years to achieve training full time in that one discipline. I am referring to kempo, karate and Kick Boxing here, if a guy rocks up and takes out your top student you aren't going to argue with him are you.

When I read about athletes being a black belt in numerous martial arts it must be a case of they respect their talents already and effectively hand them a belt, how can a person be a black belt in five martial arts that all take around ten years to achieve training full time in that one discipline.
Maybe he trained more disciplines simultaneously.
I took 4 years to achieve 1st dan.

Back