Finally watched Top Gun Maverick... it was ok.

rj144

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So, I finally got around to watching Top Gun Maverick for the first time this weekend. Heard a lot of hype and praise when it came out and was excited to see what the hype was about.

I don't get the hype. Was it better in the theaters? I mean it was ok, but I didn't even find it good. I thought it was kind of cheesy, over the top, and predictable. The original Top Gun was much better.

Do you feel the same or can anyone convince me why it should be hyped as a great movie?

It’s like, I want to see it. But I just don’t have the desire.

besides, with the dog fights and graphics it is probably something that had to have been viewed on big screen and I missed my chance.

I’m okay with that.

Blasphemy…I thought it was epic. Maybe that was the difference not watching it on the movie theater screen.

What makes it epic besides the scenery?

It is much more impressive if you are conscious of filmmaking and think of the movie in those terms.

The people behind Top Gun Maverick had a goal of less CGI and more practical effects.

That means those are real jets and the actors are really in them. Those cockpit shots, they are actually in the sky flying around at 600 mph

The actors are not piloting the jets, obviously. But they had IMAX camera rigs inside the cockpits that they would operate themselves to achieve those shots.

All that effort is very rare in modern movies. Marvel and Star Wars movies are 95% CGI, they don't even have sets anymore.

I agree Top Gun Maverick is cheesy. But I appreciate it as a throwback to a different era of cinema, when making a movie meant doing real things in real places with real people.

It is much more impressive if you are conscious of filmmaking and think of the movie in those terms.

The people behind Top Gun Maverick had a goal of less CGI and more practical effects.

That means those are real jets and the actors are really in them. Those cockpit shots, they are actually in the sky flying around at 600 mph

The actors are not piloting the jets, obviously. But they had IMAX camera rigs inside the cockpits that they would operate themselves to achieve those shots.

All that effort is very rare in modern movies. Marvel and Star Wars movies are 95% CGI, they don't even have sets anymore.

I agree Top Gun Maverick is cheesy. But I appreciate it as a throwback to a different era of cinema, when making a movie meant doing real things in real places with real people.

That is cool and I knew about that. Cruise has even flown other jets himself, right?

But effort doesn't equate to making a film amazing.

That is cool and I knew about that. Cruise has even flown other jets himself, right?

Yes, Tom Cruise is a real pilot. Not just jets but other aircraft. He owns and flies his own P-51 Mustang and he did the intense helicopter stuff in Mission Impossible Fallout.

However he did not fly the Super Hornet in Top Gun Maverick - the Navy wouldn't let him, those jets are $67 million each.

Really enjoyed it, big dumb fun, predictable plot sure, but it looked gorgeous in the cinema and it's great to see a real live action movie made with no expense spared.

I don't think there will be many movie experiences like Maverick to watch in the cinema in the future

Did not really like the movie and would not have watched at all if I would have known we would go for that (do not watch Tom Cruise movies at all) but I really appreciated the less CGI approach. Modern blockbusters feel plastic most of the time like playing a videogame no matter how much money they put into the CGI because the directors use it way too much. Movies like Top Gun have a very different feel to it. I enjyoyed the action scenes. Heck Aliens from 1979 feels more alive and immersive with its sets and little models than most modern sci fi movies.

I saw it in theaters opening weekend and enjoyed it while also feeling it wasn't nearly as good as people made it out to be.

The level of hype around the movie just shows the lack of fun movies coming out these days that Top Gun Maverick sticks out so much.

I don't think cheesey and predictable is necessarily a bad thing. Especially when it comes to these kind of films.

It's a fun simple movie that gets the formula right, gets the characters right and is supposed to leave you feeling good after watching it. Much better than the preachy social commentary shit we seem to get all of the time now.

Vibes are definitely way different in a theater.

I thought it was good. Not nearly as good as everyone made it out to be. But it was very good. I watched it twice and enjoyed it both times. That’s more than I can say for most movies.

I finally started watching Lord Of The Rings recently for the first time, I can't get into it in any way, shape or form

that's cool, some people like stuff some people don't, but I understand why it's revered and don't need to make a big gay song and dance about it

Lol , it took me from the age of 13 or so until I was in my late 40s to read the books. I've started the films a couple of times but never got halfway through one yet...

Back