Finally watched Top Gun Maverick... it was ok.

I enjoyed it but it was missing some of the classic lines the first one had.

"Goddammit, that's twice! I want some butts!"

That cracks me up to this day.

I saw it at home on my HD tv about 2 months back. I liked it.

So, I finally got around to watching Top Gun Maverick for the first time this weekend. Heard a lot of hype and praise when it came out and was excited to see what the hype was about.

I don't get the hype. Was it better in the theaters? I mean it was ok, but I didn't even find it good. I thought it was kind of cheesy, over the top, and predictable. The original Top Gun was much better.

Do you feel the same or can anyone convince me why it should be hyped as a great movie?

Well it's pretty good and much better than most the shit Hollywood is pumping out these days. If Maverick was only okay, what does that say for all the other lukewarm prison food those self-indulgent losers are passing off as stories these days?

I finally started watching Lord Of The Rings recently for the first time, I can't get into it in any way, shape or form

that's cool, some people like stuff some people don't, but I understand why it's revered and don't need to make a big gay song and dance about it

Yeah you do.

I heard it was one of those “perfect/made for IMAX movies” and I love going to IMAX but I missed this one, wasn’t super interested on its own but I’ll bite for the experience.

I loved it. For the fact it was a fun movie i didnt have to put too much thought into. Everything wasnt CGI and there was no political undertones or messages.

I thought it was good.

Don't care much for the original or Tom Cruise movies in general but this was really solid.

One reason why I enjoyed Maverick so much in the cinema is that it was the first big, decent movie that was showing in the cinema since COVID, at least the first one that appealed to me to make the effort to go and watch

It was almost like a celebration of returning to normalcy, it was fun, looked great, full of cheese, predictable, good music etc. It was perfect timing, I don't think there could have been a better celebration. Tom Cruise basically ended COVID

So, I finally got around to watching Top Gun Maverick for the first time this weekend. Heard a lot of hype and praise when it came out and was excited to see what the hype was about.

I don't get the hype. Was it better in the theaters? I mean it was ok, but I didn't even find it good. I thought it was kind of cheesy, over the top, and predictable. The original Top Gun was much better.

Do you feel the same or can anyone convince me why it should be hyped as a great movie?

Definitely a theatre movie. I refuse to watch it at home, even on my 75 inch.

The story was meh. Plot holes galore. No real antagonist. Most of the actors were annoying and not very believable in their roles. It was overrated, but still managed to be the best theatre movie that year. A year in which movies absolutely sucked, so its not really saying much.

People needed to love it. They really had nothing else. If you were starving, even cat food would be a delicacy.

Really enjoyed it.......but it definitely stands out more due to the fact that the majority of the big blockbuster movies of the last 10+ years have been so bland.
I came in here to post the same thing. It was an ok movie, if it had been released in the 80s I would bare have noticed it but now it stands out as something special due to the crap that we get spoon fed the rest of the time.

I loved it. Thought it was much better than the original although that might have to do with the fact that I'm in my 50s. When I saw Top Gun I was like 19 or 20 so I identified more with the characters mind set then. Play hard, party hard, chase women, etc. Now in my 50s I'm much more serious and somewhat world weary and think about the past a lot and am frequently at odds with what people believe and do these days so I identified more with the aging Maverick than the young Mav. I watched it at home and have a pretty good sound system set up so I don't feel I missed anything by not seeing it in the theater.

It was very basic and a little cheesy but also extremely well done with practical effects and how it was shot. It’s the kind of movie that was made in the 80s and doesn’t exist now

Maverick showed that kind of movie and style can still work today. For that, I give it a ton of credit.

Back