Law Florida Stand Your Ground story

In the instance that someone was literally in their spouse's face most people would just react. That's lizard brain level shit.
Ah yes, the reptilian brain. I really don't care how either of these people reacted in the situation. I kind of just wanted to see how you'd respond lol. My opinion is that the shooter, given his history, overreacted to the shove. He may have possibly been trying to incite violence so that he could shoot someone.

A shove equals instant death penalty administered by a vigilante, God Bless America!

On the flip side, he's being treated just like the police, who can kill anyone who looks at them funny.

Seems like a bunch of dudes in this thread will let you scream at their wife. Probably gives them secret boners.

Seems like a bunch of dudes in this thread will let you scream at their wife. Probably gives them secret boners.

They wouldnt really they just have to tow that line to make the guy who got killed into the aggressor

As much as I think the shooter is a bitch you can't just assault someone and then pretend they should not be able to retaliate because you are not continuing the assault any longer

Wasn't ALEC behind the "stand your ground" law? Wow...just wow.

So you start a fight with me, I take you down because I know what I'm doing, try and subdue you until the cops come, you pull out your gun and shoot me and claim self-defense...I mean, you were just "standing your ground", right?

I don't see how it is covered in the stand your ground law, the guy did push him but then he backed off. I'd also say if the guy has a history of starting shit like some of you are saying I don't see how SYG applies here. I've always understood it to mean if you are in fear of your life and have no avenue of escape. Had the guy moved to jump on him I could see it, even if he hovered over they guy but the guy that shoved him looked like he was backing away.

They wouldnt really they just have to tow that line to make the guy who got killed into the aggressor
not really

just in this mythical fantasy land that is the WR, committing assault is the supposed 'go to' move even for a non threatening person, while actually having situational awareness and not being a shitbag is apparently being a 'tough guy'

Odd

"Could" save him? What are the chances?

It was a bitch move on the shooters part, but if it was in bounds of the law I guess hes technically ok, but he wasn't in immediate danger, the guy wasnt advancing, so in my uneducated opnion didnt look like he was standing ground as much as he was butthurt he got shoved like a lil bitch.

Yeah, pretty much this.

It's far more nuanced than if someone could become violent to the extent it caused permanent injury or death. In this case we had a guy attack another and then posture as if more were to come. I reaches a point where it's not about accurately predicting what a violent individual might do next. It's about the burden placed upon the person engaging in self-defense and to what extent they can safely predict what the attacker will do next. Like with Castle Law. You don't give the benefit of the doubt to the criminal. You have to err on the side of the victim (while weighing the totality of the circumstances). The man was violently shoved, not simply pushed. He could have easily banged his melon on the pavement. Clearly the attacker had no regard for peacemaking or potential damage to the victim.

My comment about the police is for perspective. My general view is that cops shouldn't be able to protect themselves to a greater degree than you or I. I don't think conflating the type of shove in the video with something "semi-offensive" is productive here. Getting a pat on the bum would easily be semi-offensive to me, but hardly something that could cause severe neck or head injuries. I don't think anyone would suggest that either cops or citizens be allowed to open fire if spit upon.

Ya, maybe semi-offensive was the wrong word to use.

While I largely agree with everything you wrote, I'm still having trouble accepting that the guy in the OP was continuing to be aggressive - after the shove it seems to me that he backs off. However, if the perception was that he was getting ready to pounce, then I totally understand your point. Also agree with you regarding cops in general.

This will make every High School shoving match a stand your ground case.

Exactly.

Hey, "you never know what they'll do next" is like the get-out-jail-free card for these psychos now. They'll be itching for someone to give the first shove now.

That was no longer self defense, just retaliation. The guy was not a threat anymore once he shoved him. Straight up murder.

As much as I think the shooter is a bitch you can't just assault someone and then pretend they should not be able to retaliate because you are not continuing the assault any longer
Stupid comment.

We all break certain laws. Speeding for instance. Sometimes people double park or wait in a fire lane. I've stopped and waited by a fire hydrant before. But I never parked and left my car by a hydrant. I don't need some random schmuck coming up to me telling me I'm stopped illegally - especially one that has a weapon. And in the situation being discussed, it looks like the lady was in her vehicle. She may have parked in a handicap spot but she was with her vehicle. I think if she was impeding a handicap person a person is in the right to confront but she wasn't as in the situation there weren't any handicap people around.

As google says, usually parking in a handicap spot is a "civil infraction" not even a misdemeanor. Speaking out against lawbreakers as you suggest should be more nuanced. It's not worth the hassle and confrontation to approach strangers over trivial shit. And this was trivial and even though it was trivial you're unable to move past the idea that they were in the wrong because she stopped in a handicap spot.

Yeah, we all break rules. That obviously doesn't mean one infraction equals another. Speeding we all do because speed limits are set lower than they need to be so the game is to keep it under 10 mph over the speed limit. Parking in a handicap spot is a dick move and everyone knows it. The cripples shouldn't need to ask some cunt using their designated spot to move her vehicle. For all they know she'll react like she did here (i.e. get into a shouting match and then enable a potential physical escalation by getting out of her car). Unauthorized people in handicap spots and litterbugs are assholes I'm happy to see confronted. If you don't want to be the one to do it then move along. Ridiculing those who speak up against those two things is as bad as being the person who offends. That's my opinion anyway. If you want to tolerate that shit that's certainly your prerogative.

Ya, maybe semi-offensive was the wrong word to use.

While I largely agree with everything you wrote, I'm still having trouble accepting that the guy in the OP was continuing to be aggressive - after the shove it seems to me that he backs off. However, if the perception was that he was getting ready to pounce, then I totally understand your point. Also agree with you regarding cops in general.

I admit to not being the best at discerning what's on surveillance videos and you may be right. What I saw was a shove, then the criminal facing up on the dude as if he's prepared for further conflict. Only after the victim has begun reaching for his piece does the guy appear to back off a little. You gotta look at it from when dead guy saw the gun, not when the gun is finally pointed. I'm certain he was still being aggressive at the time the firearm was beginning to be brought into the fight.

This really is one of the most borderline cases I've seen. That's why I won't call it a "good" shoot, but I wouldn't be comfortable sending the man to prison for it either.

Yeah, we all break rules. That obviously doesn't mean one infraction equals another. Speeding we all do because speed limits are set lower than they need to be so the game is to keep it under 10 mph over the speed limit. Parking in a handicap spot is a dick move and everyone knows it. The cripples shouldn't need to ask some cunt using their designated spot to move her vehicle. For all they know she'll react like she did here (i.e. get into a shouting match and then enable a potential physical escalation by getting out of her car). Unauthorized people in handicap spots and litterbugs are assholes I'm happy to see confronted. If you don't want to be the one to do it then move along. Ridiculing those who speak up against those two things is as bad as being the person who offends. That's my opinion anyway. If you want to tolerate that shit that's certainly your prerogative.

I admit to not being the best at discerning what's on surveillance videos and you may be right. What I saw was a shove, then the criminal facing up on the dude as if he's prepared for further conflict. Only after the victim has begun reaching for his piece does the guy appear to back off a little. You gotta look at it from when dead guy saw the gun, not when the gun is finally pointed. I'm certain he was still being aggressive at the time the firearm was beginning to be brought into the fight.

This really is one of the most borderline cases I've seen. That's why I won't call it a "good" shoot, but I wouldn't be comfortable sending the man to prison for it either.

HA. Now you're the one speculating about something that didn't happen.

And way to prove that you have absolutely no actual moral compass, just talking out of your ass.

Criticizing over-zealous people who confront others over trivial civil ordinance violations is as bad as the people committing the infractions? You don't even realize how stupid the shit you are saying is.

Oh, it's okay to break speeding laws which can place innocent people in harms way. You've justified to yourself why you speeding (I'm sure you never exceed over 10mph :rolleyes:) is ok. You're all over the place. You'll find a way to justify all the laws you break on a regular basis. You've got a major case of delusion of grandeur.

Guy shouldnt have shot, but I dont feel bad for the victims in the slightest.

I'm so sick of selfish people that just do whatever they want, like take up a handycap parking spot.

Back