Foxcatcher Movie

Hmm. Convinced the wife to see this with me tomorrow based on her love of "The Office," but it appears that I may have to rethink this move.

This is Steve Carrell on the darker side of Little Miss Sunshine.

Seen the movie this weekend and it was very good. I knew the story already but didn't take anything away. Carell did an amazing job(really all of them did but he really stood out). As someone else pointed out this is not a happy or feel good movie. I would also like to say the wrestling it shows is very good but takes a backseat to the rest of the story so don't go in thinking you will see a lot of wrestling and/or action.

This makes me happy.

Step 1: Tell wife taking her to Tatum movie
Step 2: Laugh inside as I enjoy real life wrestling story
Step 3: not get laid that night

This is the best post on this thread.

Can totally relate brother!!!

Kinda creepy to watch this vid knowing that this guy was a killer

Shows some wrestling too

Last edited:
I saw it Christmas night with my wife. We're both huge 'the office' fans so it was really incredible to see carrell's range. His first monologue gave me goosebumps... Great flick

Watching this in about an hour and 15 minutes... 14 minutes... 13...

If you know what I mean.

I saw it last weekend and really thought it was good.

I thought David Schultz looked and sounded like Johnny Hendricks!

I watched it yesterday, it was great. Best film Ive seen in awhile.

Saw the movie, thought it was good really didn't know the events that lead up to the shooting. whole movie had a creepy feel to it. No music or background noise from what I remember.

Really sad about what happened and the state of wrestling at that point showing how mark schultz lived at that point of his life after winning a gold medal.

RUffalo really became Dave Schultz in the movie. Had his mannerisms and wrestling style down to a T.

Yeah, awesome movie.
I really like how it shows how the trio go through different stages of relationship together.
Would have liked to seen daves and du ponts expanded a bit though

This was an excellent movie but, man, they really John McCained UFC something good. Treated Schultz fight as some shameful rock bottom point, when in reality he'd trained with Rickson and was active in the scene. Is this still the way wrestling purists view MMA? While watching the last few NCAA tournaments I've noticed that they'll pay tribute to guys like Phil Davis and Johnny Hendricks with nary a mention that they are now well-known fighters.

This was an excellent movie but, man, they really John McCained UFC something good. Treated Schultz fight as some shameful rock bottom point, when in reality he'd trained with Rickson and was active in the scene. Is this still the way wrestling purists view MMA? While watching the last few NCAA tournaments I've noticed that they'll pay tribute to guys like Phil Davis and Johnny Hendricks with nary a mention that they are now well-known fighters.
Idk pretty sure in those early ufc days it was looked down upon. It was brutal, unorganized, and in a cage. The advertising was pretty much blood sport.

Idk pretty sure in those early ufc days it was looked down upon. It was brutal, unorganized, and in a cage. The advertising was pretty much blood sport.

In those days it was really looked down upon by the wrestling community and most of America. Guys like Kevin Jackson literally had to choose between a career coaching and a career fighting. They would not be allowed to do both. Jackson was an up and coming MMA star as one of the most decorated wrestlers to ever enter the Octagon until Frank Shamrock "introduced him to the world of submissions"......

Saw it last night. Overall I was a bit disappointed.

In terms of acting, du Pont's character was excellent. I've seen clips of du Pont on Youtube and this was basically spot on. Dave Schultz's character was good. I was not convinced by Mark Schultz's character. They made him out to be a stupid ape kind of neanderthal who solves everything with force. His make-up and his gait were both rather unrealistic and didn't really capture the real Mark Schultz.

Then there's the fact that they took great liberties with the story. Apparently Mark and Dave were never at Foxcatcher simultaneously and du Pont's shooting of Schultz probably had nothing to do with jealousy as portrayed in the film.

Anyway I'm reading the book now and am enjoying it.

This isn't exactly true. The early UFC's appeal was that it was the real-life manifestation of movie fighting, bruce lee-style posturing, faces of death-style "ultra-reality" alt programming, and the aura created by video games like streetfighter and mortal combat. certainly the square community looked down on it, but a lot of serious martial artists and tough guys were attracted by the opportunity to prove themselves. mark schultz definitely did not participate because he had hit rock bottom and needed to exploit his once noble wrestling skills for a quick buck, as was implied by the film.

This isn't exactly true. The early UFC's appeal was that it was the real-life manifestation of movie fighting, bruce lee-style posturing, faces of death-style "ultra-reality" alt programming, and the aura created by video games like streetfighter and mortal combat. certainly the square community looked down on it, but a lot of serious martial artists and tough guys were attracted by the opportunity to prove themselves. mark schultz definitely did not participate because he had hit rock bottom and needed to exploit his once noble wrestling skills for a quick buck, as was implied by the film.

Schultz wasn't supposed to fight. He had been training Dave Beneteau to fight Goodridge. Beneteau had broken his hand in training and the UFC wouldn't let him fight with the injury because they had heat on them about it being to dangerous. Mark stepped in and took his one and only fight.

And when you say the square community looked down on it that included the NCAA and probably every athletic department they represented.

Back