GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE (Reaches $115 Million Worldwide)

If you have seen GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE, how would you rate it?

• 9 - Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - Average

• 4 - Poor

• 3 - Bad

• 2 - Terrible

• 1 - Abysmal

• Total voters
I feel it was a bit more of a mixed bag.

On the plus side:

McKenna Grace is a very talented young actress- I thought she was excellent in that movie with Chris Evans and Jenny Slate a couple of years back and she did an awesome job here.

Carrie Coon carried the dramatic weight of her character’s struggle very well. She is talented. Hope this leads to more lead roles.

Rudd is always on point.

The supporting characters were generally good.

It has a lot of nostalgia and reverence for the first film. And it’s extremely respectful of Harold Ramis.

that’s all great.

But I found it weirdly uneven. It felt meandering at parts and then full speed ahead at others. I don’t mind a slow burn at all but it felt like a lot of what was going on was so contained/small-scale and when you have a film with end-of-the-world stakes, it’s weird to keep a cap on everything and make it like everything is occurring in such close quarters.

It also felt to me like The Rise of Skywalker (which I actually found to be a pretty fun movie but is rife with issues of its own)

In the sense that

bringing back Gozer, Clortho, Zuul, etc seemed more like contrived fan service than having inherent merit. That aspect felt somewhat hollow to me. I put that on par with bringing Palps back for TROS. Yeah. Mcdiarmid kills that role every time and it’s fun to see him but does it bring anything to the table other than getting the fans to buzz about seeing him again?

So that hurt it a bit for me. I could not help but get a sense of been there, done that.

And the movie earns the hell out of the big cameos and the final moments of tribute to Ramis but it just didn’t strike me as a fully cogent film.

I would frame it as shades of awesomeness, mixed with some lapses making for a somewhat disjointed but, ultimately, respectful, nostalgic Ghostbustsrs film. If you love the original two movies, I think there is plenty to enjoy here.

But it seems to me that the original can’t be touched and even the second was overall superior.

Better than 2016 though.

I feel it was a bit more of a mixed bag.

On the plus side:

McKenna Grace is a very talented young actress- I thought she was excellent in that movie with Chris Evans and Jenny Slate a couple of years back and she did an awesome job here.

Carrie Coon carried the dramatic weight of her character’s struggle very well. She is talented. Hope this leads to more lead roles.

Rudd is always on point.

The supporting characters were generally good.

It has a lot of nostalgia and reverence for the first film. And it’s extremely respectful of Harold Ramis.

that’s all great.

But I found it weirdly uneven. It felt meandering at parts and then full speed ahead at others. I don’t mind a slow burn at all but it felt like a lot of what was going on was so contained/small-scale and when you have a film with end-of-the-world stakes, it’s weird to keep a cap on everything and make it like everything is occurring in such close quarters.

It also felt to me like The Rise of Skywalker (which I actually found to be a pretty fun movie but is rife with issues of its own)

In the sense that

bringing back Gozer, Clortho, Zuul, etc seemed more like contrived fan service than having inherent merit. That aspect felt somewhat hollow to me. I put that on par with bringing Palps back for TROS. Yeah. Mcdiarmid kills that role every time and it’s fun to see him but does it bring anything to the table other than getting the fans to buzz about seeing him again?

So that hurt it a bit for me. I could not help but get a sense of been there, done that.

And the movie earns the hell out of the big cameos and the final moments of tribute to Ramis but it just didn’t strike me as a fully cogent film.

I would frame it as shades of awesomeness, mixed with some lapses making for a somewhat disjointed but, ultimately, respectful, nostalgic Ghostbustsrs film. If you love the original two movies, I think there is plenty to enjoy here.

But it seems to me that the original can’t be touched and even the second was overall superior.

Better than 2016 though.

no it doesn’t even come close to the first movie. And I agree that Grace actress was great in it. She sold the part really well. She was extremely Likable

I like the original Ghostbusters but I'm not super attached to it

I think it’s a lot of fun and I’ve always had the feeling that it was probably even more awesome for people who got to experience it when it was first released. I imagine it was groundbreaking, at least to an extent. Great visual effects for the time, strong comedy, good premise, great cast. It all just sort of came together. 80s was epic for those horror/comedy fusions (American Werewolf in London, Gremlins, etc).

And another thing about the original- as funny as Murray and Aykroyd are in it, as awesome as the consistently great Ernie Hudson is in it, as entertaining as Potts, Weaver, and Moranis are in it, Ramis subtly steals the film for me.

He has some really great moments that you might not even catch first time around but they are terrific and some of the best stuff in the film.

A personal favorite for me is the scene where Annie Potts is flirting with him and he is either oblivious or indifferent.

Jeanine: I bet you read a lot, too.

Egon (Emphatically): Print is dead.

PG 13 wasn’t even A thing when jaws came out.

Definitely and you could see why Jaws wouldn’t get an R rating but it’s definitely one of those movies that seems tailor made for PG-13, even if it took nearly a decade for it to come into existence after that.

When that shark clamps down on Robert Shaw, that’s no PG lol.

Strange thing is, this is also a "female ghostbusters" as the only two plot progressing characters in the movie are the little girl and her mother, all the boys and men around them are there just to play off of.

Back