GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE (Reaches $115 Million Worldwide)

If you have seen GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE, how would you rate it?

• 9 - Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - Average

• 4 - Poor

• 3 - Bad

• 2 - Terrible

• 1 - Abysmal

• Total voters
same here. I’ve seen way worse movies. It was neither here nor there for me. Moments of entertainment but a lot of the humor fell flat. And when you have people I like and find quite funny like McKinnon, Wiig, Jones, (I’m a big SNL fan) and McCarthy at the top of the credits, it should, at the very least, be funny.

Not only that, it didn’t feel like a ghostbusters film. Tonally, visually, what have you- it did not fit for me.

Still, I didn’t think it was terrible. Middle-of-the-road, but functioned poorly as a reboot of a classic property.
If they didn't make it, the world would have kept spinning. But since they did make it, tried to hype the shit out of it and it just fizzled, I think they ended up with a disproportionate amount of hate.

I went into it with an open mind and low expectations; those expectations were met.

same here. I’ve seen way worse movies. It was neither here nor there for me. Moments of entertainment but a lot of the humor fell flat. And when you have people I like and find quite funny like McKinnon, Wiig, Jones, (I’m a big SNL fan) and McCarthy at the top of the credits, it should, at the very least, be funny.

Not only that, it didn’t feel like a ghostbusters film. Tonally, visually, what have you- it did not fit for me.

Still, I didn’t think it was terrible. Middle-of-the-road, but functioned poorly as a reboot of a classic property.

Yeah

People act like this movie was viewed as some sort of critical failure at the time. It was not. RT = 74%. B+ from CinemaScore. "Average to Mixed" from Metacritic.

Despite a vocal group of misogynists opposing the movie, even the box office ($230m) was not terrible for an ensemble comedy. The real problem was the budget, listed at $144m before marketing. I am assuming a massive marketing budget and so it probably needed to make at least $400m+ to be considered even a moderate success. $400m revenue for a comedy franchise that had been inactive for 25 years? not a good bet.

Personally I found it profoundly meh. I am not a SNL guy but I found Wiig hilarious in MacGruber and Bridesmaids. there seemed to be so much talent involved and yet somehow it was neither particularly funny nor a good drama.

I really have no stake in the franchise as a whole and so Afterlife will only interest me if it gets good reviews

https://mashable.com/article/ghostbusters-afterlife-review?amp

'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' is a soulless ode to nepotism
Boooooooooo!

I found this part interesting. We discuss this concept here in Mayberry often. The first Twitter reactions must be taken with a ton of salt.

"Yes, audiences at NYCC cheered when the Ecto-1 was unveiled in a rotting barn or someone says, “Who ya gonna’ call?” Of course, they did, it’s Comic Con! Many in that crowd wearing Ghostbusters cosplay, and many more were caught up in the collective thrill of a communal experience and the exhilarating exclusivity of being the first audience to see this. "

Boooooooooo!

I found this part interesting. We discuss this concept here in Mayberry often. The first Twitter reactions must be taken with a ton of salt.

"Yes, audiences at NYCC cheered when the Ecto-1 was unveiled in a rotting barn or someone says, “Who ya gonna’ call?” Of course, they did, it’s Comic Con! Many in that crowd wearing Ghostbusters cosplay, and many more were caught up in the collective thrill of a communal experience and the exhilarating exclusivity of being the first audience to see this. "

Well my enthusiasm for this just tanked, good thing I can still watch the OG. I get why they make these sequels, but he'll even the original sequel with all the same people wasn't near as good m lightning in a bottle.

Boooooooooo!

The reviewer sounds bitter. Probably pissed this wasn't a sequel to the dogshit woman Ghostbusters.

wait...what happened to the ladies? i am out if they did another reboot. i liked the girls a lot. they should have just kept them

The reviewer sounds bitter. Probably pissed this wasn't a sequel to the dogshit woman Ghostbusters.

I found 3 articles from her related to ghostbusters. The one above and the following two

“Ghostbusters 3 With A Female Cast Isn't A Gimmick”
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ghostbusters-3-With-Female-Cast-Isn-t-Gimmick-66585.html

Review: Sorry, Haters, But 'Ghostbusters' Is Great
After much outcry and controversy, it turns out Paul Feig's franchise reboot is hilarious -- and it won't even ruin your childhood.
https://www.cbr.com/review-sorry-haters-but-ghostbusters-is-great/

Boooooooooo!

I dont know if shes right or wrong about the movie but she comes across as way too bitter in this review, not gonna take her opinion seriously

I found 3 articles from her related to ghostbusters. The one above and the following two

“Ghostbusters 3 With A Female Cast Isn't A Gimmick”
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ghostbusters-3-With-Female-Cast-Isn-t-Gimmick-66585.html

Review: Sorry, Haters, But 'Ghostbusters' Is Great
After much outcry and controversy, it turns out Paul Feig's franchise reboot is hilarious -- and it won't even ruin your childhood.
https://www.cbr.com/review-sorry-haters-but-ghostbusters-is-great/
I knew it.
{<jordan}

Boooooooooo!

Worked for Star Wars: TFA.

At least for a little while.

<Grimes01>

I mean, it looks better than that travesty from a few years ago, but instead of targeting females they're making it about kids.

My biggest gripe with it though, and it may just be the trailer, but why is it styled like it's some big epic saga? lol This is Ghostbusters, not Star Wars. The tone is just way off.

An 80's classic like Ghostbusters just can't be replicated today. It's a product of its time and the actors are irreplaceable.

i think that is why its styled like en epic saga. its going to be a very different movie with a more serious tone but i bet it is done very well and works.

its going to pay respect to the originals without trying to be like them.

Yeah

People act like this movie was viewed as some sort of critical failure at the time. It was not. RT = 74%. B+ from CinemaScore. "Average to Mixed" from Metacritic.

Despite a vocal group of misogynists opposing the movie, even the box office ($230m) was not terrible for an ensemble comedy. The real problem was the budget, listed at $144m before marketing. I am assuming a massive marketing budget and so it probably needed to make at least $400m+ to be considered even a moderate success. $400m revenue for a comedy franchise that had been inactive for 25 years? not a good bet.

Personally I found it profoundly meh. I am not a SNL guy but I found Wiig hilarious in MacGruber and Bridesmaids. there seemed to be so much talent involved and yet somehow it was neither particularly funny nor a good drama.

I really have no stake in the franchise as a whole and so Afterlife will only interest me if it gets good reviews
So much cope.

Sooo none of us have seen it? I used to watch everything in theaters, but with 2 young kids, I now look at movies like, "is this worth wasting my free night away from the family on or not?"

It looks interesting. Way better than the all female cast one. Jeremy Jahn's was torn on it. Said it tried to do too much in the sense of nostalgia and easter eggs, but when it just tried to tell the story, it was good.

Wife and it watched it friday after work.

Very enjoyable. Pacing wasnt as smooth as the first, and had a few mcguffins / coincidence that were meh, but overall, second favorite gb next to the first.

Wife is a big GB fan. Hated 2016, she loved this one. Has a shit ton of fan service and callbacks. Some may knock that, but I liked it and it at least honors the originals. Felt like a GB or 80s movie. You can tell they cared about it and respected the source material.

Fibie(sp) and podcast were great. Didnt expect that much screen time / focus but it worked. Rudd was solid.

I think I even saw that there were puppets? Either that or really good cg that looked like a puppet lol. Props called back to OG. Was cool to see.

Edit: stay to the very end

Last edited:
Despite a vocal group of misogynists opposing the movie, even the box office ($230m) was not terrible for an ensemble comedy.

Strange how the people who prefer the latest movie with a respectable, smart, female engineer in the lead are the "misogynists," and those that prefer the 2016 movie with sideshow charactures of working-female stereotypes who cant' go two second without talking about their crotch are the "feminists."

Afterlife is a much better film for your feminist sons and daughters to watch than the 2016 film. But as a movie, they both suck.

Absolutely loved this movie. Took our two oldest to see it tonight for my birthday, and boy did McKenna Grace knock this fucking thing out of the park. I hope she continues to get great movies and doesn't choose to just start in everything they throw at her. She has a great career ahead of her.

Also, didn't cry at all! I think I was just stuffy or something? Like twice? Great flick, great tribute and successor to the first, and good times to be had with this one.

Has anyone seen this yet?

RLM did their review. Sounds like they pretty much hated it, though not as much as 2016.

I agree with pretty much everything they say. I have been thinking about how it could have been a better movie, rolling different ideas around.

It stunk as far as I’m concerned, but for anyone who enjoyed it, I’m happy they enjoyed it

I liked it. However, there is nothing new here.

7/10

Enjoyable movie. Felt a tad bit too long, but not too bad. Didn't like Rudd's character. Kind of a throwaway. Didn't have same charm as Moranis' character. Mom and son characters were also whatever. But overall, this movie pays a good tribute to the original.

Back