GSP isn't picking the easier fight

You are right in a sense. Woodley is a complete nobody. No one gives a sh!t about him. Beating him isn't that big of a deal compared to beating the MW champion. Tyron is a complete hypocrite criticizing GSP for "Ducking" him to fight a champion in a higher weight class when he tried to duck Wonderboy who is in his weight class and called out Nick "Not Ranked and Retired" Diaz instead. I will laugh my ass off when GSP win or lose vs Bisping skips him to fight Conor and retires. If Woodley would just shut up and fight it would be nice. He even claims Lawler hasn't done enough to deserve a rematch but what did he do to get his title shot? Not fight Hendricks and wait 1 1/2 years. That's What! Guy is not a draw but keeps calling for "Money Fights" LMAO
I agree with you about Woodley being massively unappealing. The strange thing is his PPV numbers are just as dire as Bisping's. I never understood how a journeyman like Bisping became one of the highest earners and those figures can of compound. It's almost like the UFC has been trying to massively market him despite a lack of interest from the general public. So I'd say GSP chose Bisping because he thought it would be an easier fight and not necessarily a bigger one.

He lost to two welterweights already. A loss after a four year layoff is less detrimental than two losses in his prime.

what do his previous losses matter when he was thrown into undisputed WW GOAT talks even after those losses? if he were to lose now, it would be a loss after his legacy was established. not before. a loss can't hurt a legacy if the legacy wasn't yet established.

he lost in 2004 and 2007, at a time when the WW GOAT pretty disputed between him and Hughes (most people favoring Hughes until around the back to back serra/hughes rematches). a loss now, AFTER he is considered the WW GOAT would be more impactful on his legacy than a loss at MW. which is the point.

what do his previous losses matter when he was thrown into undisputed WW GOAT talks even after those losses? if he were to lose now, it would be a loss after his legacy was established. not before. a loss can't hurt a legacy if the legacy wasn't yet established.

he lost in 2004 and 2007, at a time when the WW GOAT pretty disputed between him and Hughes (most people favoring Hughes until around the back to back serra/hughes rematches). a loss now, AFTER he is considered the WW GOAT would be more impactful on his legacy than a loss at MW. which is the point.
That is where a disagree, I believe the path of fights that cement a legacy are more impactful to that legacy than the fights after his prime and legacy have been established. That is why Anderson, Fedor and such are included in the greats conversations. Despite losses, it was about the fights that established their legacy.

The claim isn't really that he is taking the easiest fight.

It's that he is taking an unusual fight that maximizes the risk vs. reward tradeoff.

Which isn't surprising. It's reflective of his mindset and how he has managed his career to date.

What does that mean? He owned WW for years and cleaned the division of all the top contenders.

What does that mean? He owned WW for years and cleaned the division of all the top contenders.

Within-fights for example, opting for max-control/low-risk strategy that maximized his chances of winning the fight, while sacrificing some more crowd-pleasing things (i.e.-going for finishes, etc...)

Not an easy fight but he's fighting the worst MW champion in UFC history after he avoided the division like the plague when Anderson was around.

3rd worst. Bisping beats Dave Menne and Evan Tanner (RIP) imo, but it's clear Bisping is not the best fighter currently in the division.

Everyone is overlooking the point of the fight when they talk about if Bisping or Woodley is a tougher fight for GSP.

It's not about who is a bigger threat. It's about having a "super fight" and fighting above his natural weight class. It's about making a spectacle.

It absolutely should be GSP vs Woodley, but we have full on entered the freak show era of the UFC. The entire fight has no bearing on who is the best opponent for anyone, or what makes the most sense either. Just how many viewers they can reign in, and how much of a buzz they can create.

It should not be GSP vs woodley.

GSP was bored @ WW and lost his motivation.
So he retired, then he thinks. Dang I want to be two weight champ, that will bring some motivation back.

No one gives a rats ass if he fights woodley, it proves nothing.

He wins, no shit greatest WW ever beats scrub WW champ who maia gave fits. Marquart ko’ed into outer space and Rory toyed with. Nobody cares

He loses, well no shit he was retired for 4 years proves nothing.

Honestly.. after 4 years away... Bisping or Woodley represent extremely tough fights.

But to be frank, GSP doesn't go to 185 if Luke or Yoel are the champs. In terms of just size, Bisping and Whittaker represent far more plausible opponents @ 185.

And not sure if fighting Tyron Woodley is big enough of a fight, worth the overall risk, to bring GSP out of retirement.

It is obvious that GSP is taking fights that will cement his legacy in the sport. Bisping does that, and pretty much at zero risk. If GSP wins, it puts him into another level, and if he loses, people will write it off to the fact he was on a 4 year hiatus, and stepping up in weight.

But a win vs Woodley would do little for GSP, but a loss would be catastrophic... the only one who really wins here is Tyron in a money fight and a chance to put his own stamp on the 170 division.

sure he is

he's picking the guy who's past his prime, similarly aged, who possesses less of a danger and not as difficult of an opponent stylistically.

Tyron Is in his prime, he'd present a very similar challenge that a prime hendricks did..arguably even tougher.

Georges made the smart move In many ways and I'm not gonna really hate him for It.

Tyron would've fucked him up

No, but he's definitely picking the fight with less risk to his "legacy" if he loses.

True. But the reason has more to do with the upside of a win.

Sherdoggers can pretend they'd be more impressed if he returned to WW and recaptured the belt, but the truth is, Woodley would very quickly become just another WW that GSP beat, and in no time they would be saying that he was never a true great because he never challenged himself at another weight class like Anderson and Conor.

If he wins that MW belt, no one will be able to say anything that will take away the fact that he's a two weight class champ.

It should not be GSP vs woodley.
No one gives a rats ass if he fights woodley, it proves nothing.

Nothing you're saying is really wrong from the standpoint of staging a fight. But that doesn't mean that anyone, especially the UFC should sell the WW strap short.

They're devaluing the WW belt and the MW belt with this match. Bisping should be defending against a consensus Top 5 Middleweight. If GSP wants to fight at MW, and ignore the WW legacy? Fine I guess, but don't take down the MW belt in the process by having Bisping hand pick fights with guys smaller than him. It's a freakshow fight and at best (if you like GSP like I do) he wins and totally fucks up the MW scene even worse.

I just want some form of normalcy with these belts and this match really proves nothing. "Can rusty smaller great fighter, beat less rusty great, but not quite as great, bigger guy?"

This question is fine and all, but in no way should have any title implications for either man.

Very tough fight for St Pierre. Just hope he still has some "riddum" left for Bisping. Pumped for this card.

Nothing you're saying is really wrong from the standpoint of staging a fight. But that doesn't mean that anyone, especially the UFC should sell the WW strap short.

They're devaluing the WW belt and the MW belt with this match. Bisping should be defending against a consensus Top 5 Middleweight. If GSP wants to fight at MW, and ignore the WW legacy? Fine I guess, but don't take down the MW belt in the process by having Bisping hand pick fights with guys smaller than him. It's a freakshow fight and at best (if you like GSP like I do) he wins and totally fucks up the MW scene even worse.

I just want some form of normalcy with these belts and this match really proves nothing. "Can rusty smaller great fighter, beat less rusty great, but not quite as great, bigger guy?"

This question is fine and all, but in no way should have any title implications for either man.

I would normally agree except for two facts.

A) GSP first started talks about comeback when rocksalt still held the belt, so it’s clear he just wants the MW belt

B) he has already contractually agreed to defend against Whitaker if he wins, so he’s not holding the belt up any worse than ping was. You could actually say he’s holding it up less.

What he does after that is another story, part of me thinks if he successfully defends he goes for 205 belt, he said he wants to do something that’s never been done, plenty of people have had belts in two weights. I can’t think of one with 3

sure he is

he's picking the guy who's past his prime, similarly aged, who possesses less of a danger and not as difficult of an opponent stylistically.

Tyron Is in his prime, he'd present a very similar challenge that a prime hendricks did..arguably even tougher.

Georges made the smart move In many ways and I'm not gonna really hate him for It.

Tyron would've fucked him up
Nah look at the Rory fight
GSP would have a good shot of outwrestling or outjabbing him.
Besides a big powerpunch, Woodley has very little to offer offensively

I agree with you about Woodley being massively unappealing. The strange thing is his PPV numbers are just as dire as Bisping's. I never understood how a journeyman like Bisping became one of the highest earners and those figures can of compound. It's almost like the UFC has been trying to massively market him despite a lack of interest from the general public. So I'd say GSP chose Bisping because he thought it would be an easier fight and not necessarily a bigger one.
What you are missing is that Woodley isn't a draw at all while Bisping is. Comparing their numbers on PPV is only part of the picture. Here are Woodley's fights as a headliner and some of Bisping's since his career as a headliner is much longer.

Woodley

UFC 214 vs Maia Main Event Cormier Jones 2 PPV 860k

UFC 209 vs Thompson Main Event PPV 300k

UFC 205 vs Thompson 3 Title fights McGregor vs Alvarez Main Event PPV1.3M

UFC 201 vs Lawler Main Event PPV 240k

When on his own Tyron draws 250-300k

Michael Bisping

UFC 204 vs Hendo 290k

UFC 199 vs Rockhold 283k

UFC FN 84 vs Anderson Fight Pass event in London

UFC FN 72 vs Leites FS1

UFC FN 55 vs Rockhold Fight Pass Australia

UFC FN 48 vs Cung Le Fight Pass China

UFC 100 vs Hendo 1.3M

When on his own Michael draws close to 300k

The difference is that Mike is from the UK and is Primarily responsible for the UFC getting a broadcasting deal with BT Sport and we have no idea how much that is worth. He has also been used as the main event for Fight Pass cards to bolster subscriptions which is the future of the UFC with the PPV model becoming outdated. Mike has massive value to the UFC beyond PPV but he is also a great foil for GSP as the sh!t takling bad boy.

Beating Woodley is simply getting the WW belt back which he already had and never lost. If Woodley loses to someone else then GSP fights them. Wonderboy, Lawler, RDA, Ceronne, Kelvin etc do not pose or offer anything to GSP beyond a WW title fight. That opportunity is there whenever GSP wants it.

Beating Bisping offers a title in a second weight class, offers more money and is an opportunity that goes away if The Count loses or retires. Fighting any other MW (Whittaker, Luke, Yoel Jacare) that takes the belt offers Georges none of those things. He is less likely to win the MW title from any of those except maybe Whittaker. If GSP had to fight Woodley or Bisping and had to win or be executed with no other considerations such as money or titles do you think he picks Woodley or Bisping? I dont think he cares either way between the two in that scenario. In fact Woodley is a much easier strategy, clinch and wrestle, make him work and tire him out. Can't do that to Bisping.

I would normally agree except for two facts.

A) GSP first started talks about comeback when rocksalt still held the belt, so it’s clear he just wants the MW belt

B) he has already contractually agreed to defend against Whitaker if he wins, so he’s not holding the belt up any worse than ping was. You could actually say he’s holding it up less.

What he does after that is another story, part of me thinks if he successfully defends he goes for 205 belt, he said he wants to do something that’s never been done, plenty of people have had belts in two weights. I can’t think of one with 3
No way he goes to 205 IMO. I think the dream scenario is a win over Bisping, defend vs Whittaker and drop to WW to take the belt back holding 2 simultaneously. Then Conor at 170 or 155 if he still has the LW belt. Someone would be going for a 3rd title.

No way he goes to 205 IMO. I think the dream scenario is a win over Bisping, defend vs Whittaker and drop to WW to take the belt back holding 2 simultaneously. Then Conor at 170 or 155 if he still has the LW belt. Someone would be going for a 3rd title.

He has stated himself he has no interest in lighter weight classes feels he has nothing left to prove there.

If he defends and wins I really think he’s gonna try for 205, probublay won’t bulk any more and just come in light and fast.

He’s strong enough he knows that from training with top 205ers, he won’t need any more size for his style.

And coming in fresh without a cut for 205 he’s gonna have the advantage for sure not having to cut in speed and endurance.

What you are missing is that Woodley isn't a draw at all while Bisping is. Comparing their numbers on PPV is only part of the picture. Here are Woodley's fights as a headliner and some of Bisping's since his career as a headliner is much longer.

GSP's comeback would have selled anyway

He pick this fight while Wonderboy and Woodley were going for their second fight

He's a close friend of Wonderboy and he didn't want to come on his turf

The Bisping fight grew on him, the UFC loved this fight better, than promoting Woodley

It's like the Nick Diaz fight, it grew on his mind and he really wants it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back