Guacamole for $1 Extra

Avocados are fucking expensive relatively speaking.

Yeah avocados need a lot of water to grow I hear. They are expensive at the grocery stores in SoCal. So of course it'll cost more to add it.

Every place charges for any thing “avacado”

First off they’re expensive and if you’re making guacamole it’s also labor intensive.

It’s not like a side of honey mustard. You’re always charged extra for guac or acacado slices. Even in nicer restaurants.

Funny because I mentioned honey mustard, that’s something just about any place will give you an extra side for free. Usually extra blue cheese is more money as well. It’s usually more expensive as well.

I have heard that the habit of restaurants charging extra for guacamole, whether it’s just a burrito shop, or a sit down restaurant that serves nachos or fajitas and the like, is a uniquely Canadian phenomenon. Is this true?

To my American Sherbros, if you ask for guacamole on your burrito at Chipotle (we don’t have Chipotlesin Canada) or ask for guacamole for your fajitas at Chilis (all of which I think went out of business in Canada last year) do you get charged an extra dollar for it?
Uh, unless it closed down in the last five years since I left the province, there was a Chipotle by Ryerson when I used to go there.

Also, you sound poor.

Isn't guac extra because at one point there was a shortage of avocados and companies charge more. Then when we got an overflow the prices never dropped because competitors couldn't all agree to go back to being cheap. Now it's just a trend. I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, unless it closed down in the last five years since I left the province, there was a Chipotle by Ryerson when I used to go there.

Also, you sound poor.

Huh, didn’t know that. Haven’t been to TO in 8 years. Didn’t know there were any. I’ve never seen any in Alberta or BC. We have various different burrito chains like Mucho Burrito, Burrito Libre, Bar Burrito, and Taco del Mar.

And I’m not poor, but I will be someday because I always opt for guacamole and end up paying.

They charge extra, but they never take off a dollar if you don’t want it.

I don't see what's there to bitch about. It's a free market economy. You don't like the product/service provided, take your business somewhere else.

Depends on the place, in San Diego I know of some places that include it in certain burritos otherwise it is an extra charge. Same with nachos, carne asada fries combo or plate orders - some places include guacamole while others charge.

I don't recall seeing fajitas offered without guacamole, seems that is always included.

A lot of sitdown restaurants include guacamole in their lunch or dinner plates without extra charge; however, they'll likely charge if ordering a combo plate and definitely for a la carte ordering. Edit: chimichangas usually come with guacamole at no extra charge.

Adding guacamole is usually $1-1.50.
A side order is usually 2.50-$4, some places give you a good size bowl.

Last edited:
Huh, didn’t know that. Haven’t been to TO in 8 years. Didn’t know there were any. I’ve never seen any in Alberta or BC. We have various different burrito chains like Mucho Burrito, Burrito Libre, Bar Burrito, and Taco del Mar.

And I’m not poor, but I will be someday because I always opt for guacamole and end up paying.
Likewise, can't say no to guacamole either.

In NYC, guacomole is a separate dish/appetizer, and goes for around $5.95 or more depending on how end the restaurant is.

fun fact- alot of young australians are unable to afford houses because they prefer smashed avocados on toast..

Millionaire tells millennials: if you want a house, stop buying avocado toast
Australian real estate mogul Tim Gurner advised young people to solve their housing woes by putting their ‘$22 a pop’ toast toward a deposit instead

- https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...n-millionaire-millennials-avocado-toast-house

It’s usually more like $2 at chipotle, sometimes even more.

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I asked is because my Dad travels to the US for work a lot and he likes to get fajitas at restaurants when he travels and he always tells me that in America guacamole doesn’t cost extra. That didn’t sound believable to me, that’s why I made this thread.
if you're at a sit down restaurant, even a shitty one like Chili's, it most likely will not be extra f it's served with an entree. Fast food/ala carte places like Chipotle almost universally charge for it and in mexican restaurants an actual order of chips and guacamole is generally ordered and you have to pay for it, whereas tortilla chips with salsa are complementary.

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I asked is because my Dad travels to the US for work a lot and he likes to get fajitas at restaurants when he travels and he always tells me that in America guacamole doesn’t cost extra. That didn’t sound believable to me, that’s why I made this thread.

Fat Bastard Burrito doesn't charge extra for guac - BUT their burritos are like 13 beans.

So it ends up being the same either way! We never win here in Canada

Chipotle is decent but very bland/overrated imo

Same here in New Zealand dude. You want it on your burrito or subway theres an addition charge.

Avocado can be expensive some seasons, there has even been people stealing them from orchards this year.
I buy my avocados from countdown but i go to the self-checkout and select them as agria potatos. Its way cheaper to do it that way. But when it's in season I get the free avocados at the mangere stonefields orchard.

I have heard that the habit of restaurants charging extra for guacamole, whether it’s just a burrito shop, or a sit down restaurant that serves nachos or fajitas and the like, is a uniquely Canadian phenomenon. Is this true?

To my American Sherbros, if you ask for guacamole on your burrito at Chipotle (we don’t have Chipotlesin Canada) or ask for guacamole for your fajitas at Chilis (all of which I think went out of business in Canada last year) do you get charged an extra dollar for it?
After I got really sick from shitpotle some 3 years ago, I never went back.

But I saw flame broiler has that option as well now for $1.50. I usually get avocado on every chance I get.

Last edited:
Back