Gym idiots thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda see it that way but not entirely. Sure it may make oly lifting and strength training more popular, but it could bastardize it to. Kinda like what happened to MMA when UFC went mainstream. Now you have so many jokers thinking they are fighters.

crossfit is already taking over S+C. look at MMA fighters. if you ever see their S+C training in MMA or PRO sports is growing more and more common

How many X-fitters make the switch ? Possibly ten %, or more ? I know this is purely just a guessing game.

Well the owner of the gym I coach at was an avid x-fit enthusiast until they had a falling out for various reasons. Anywho, at one point I believe she said that 20% of all x-fitters move onto "something else" after the first year. What that "something else" consists of in it's entirety, I have no idea.

crossfit is already taking over S+C. look at MMA fighters. if you ever see their S+C training in MMA or PRO sports is growing more and more common

And that's what pisses me off the most, it's a growing cult and Greg Glassgow is Thulsa Doom.

Well the owner of the gym I coach at was an avid x-fit enthusiast until they had a falling out for various reasons. Anywho, at one point I believe she said that 20% of all x-fitters move onto "something else" after the first year. What that "something else" consists of in it's entirety, I have no idea.

Well that's interesting.

And like all fitness trends it will die. Something different will come along per the usual. Hopefully something functional, Like a pattern, perhaps ?

I have a question, just curiousity, not trying to try gas on the fire

If some of good health and in generally good shape took up crossfit with a good coach to teach the movements and the knowledge to cut it off when form starts to fail, would it be a viable option for someone like an MMA fighter, or does the lack of progression doom it?

I obviously don't mean as a strength program, it's lack of progression rules that out. Just as a gpp/endurance tool for someone like a fighter

Last edited:

If some of good health and in generally good shape took up crossfit with a good coach to teach the movements and the knowledge to cut it off when form starts to fail, would it be a viable option for someone like an MMA fighter, or does the lack of progression doom it?

I obviously don't mean as a strength program, it's lack of progression rules that out. Just as a gpp/endurance tool for someone like a fighter

i honestly do believe some crossfit gyms can work well, those that have great coaches and emphasize technique etc, but i think its entirely overrated in S+C for an athlete. esp in MMA.

EDIT: example. there are tons of great conditioned fighters that have gassed in a fight. being in shape is important of course but its overrated in the over training in camps, often leading to injury imo. you can be in amazing shape but if someones pushing the pace on you, its very exhausting. the guy with the lead has an edge. getting hit makes people panic causing exhaustion. if youre too weak and the other guy is smothering you, you have to work so much harder which is why getting stronger is important imo.

live fighting is exhausting, the adrenaline is way different then in training, lots of guys in mma train 10x5 min rounds etc rolling but its not the samething.

i drill and drill and drill, and try to get stronger and stay in good shape and i think its the best way to go imo

this is a poor example but mayhem has always been in good shape in the gym and has done 5x5 min rounds before but his last fight with bisping was horrible. alot would say adrenaline dump. or the size factor of the first round grappling.
the thrusters 8:35 in exhausted state, so crossfitty imo lol. in my experience its not necc to beat yourself up like this often. in comes the i need steroids to recover stuff. bullshit imo

when i switched to funtional training, i was in better cardio shape but later when rolling with bigger guys that i used to hang well with or beat, the size and strength factor over came my gym cardio often

Last edited:

If you have a good coach you would be better off analyzing your needs and building a program around that rather than going into the gym everyday and just working really hard.

Yea but I pretty much derailed that thread and pissed off a lot of people.

Like I said I don't care if someone trains differently then me or trains their clients differently then I train mine. I just hate stupid and dangerous routines, CF falls under that. So yes, I have a good reason to be bothered by it.

You were totally out of line in that thread LDM. You totally derailed that thread from it's original intent, which was (from what I gathered) "omggggg, Allison from NYC is totally hawt." or "what's all this workout bullshit about? This is totally ghey." And don't forget about, "Quit talking shit about crossfit bro. They have hot muscley chicks with fake tits who wear board shorts.. I think they kind of know what they're doing. p.s. I lift more than you and have no proof.".

If you have a good coach you would be better off analyzing your needs and building a program around that rather than going into the gym everyday and just working really hard.

agreed but in comes "functional training" trying to simulate athletic movement which i also think can be overrated. when were clinching with someone, you cant really simulate pushing and pulling from different angles and elevations for and against all at once like that. but FT tries. we dont bench, squat, dead, CJ, SN to simulate anything. its about getting stronger and more explosive which is meaningless until we apply it. whether thats grappling or construction work. same with FT and FT doesnt do as good a job as the basics because theyre busy trying to simulate something that cant really. try simulating swimming in the weight room. EDIT: pretty debatable because a number of people would swear by FT athletically so i dunno

I've gradualy built up quite the nice gym in my garage, in terms of weight lifting.

Bench
Squat rack
Rogue fitness Oly bar
Curl bar
370 lbs worth of weight plates, including buymper plates
Olympic lifting platform
Professional cable crossover
70 lb kettlebell
45 lb kettlebell
2x 25lb dumbbells
25 lb med ball
12 lb med ball
9 lb med ball
100lb heavy bag
Double end bag
Dual-action airdyne knockoff bike
Pullup bar
Dip station
Cable cross
Jumprope

and plenty of roads to run on

So, I don't need to deal with any commercial gyms or gym idiots.
The only gym I go to, asside from mine, is my jujitsu dojo, which has zero idiots.

Nice! I'm jealous.

And that's what pisses me off the most, it's a growing cult and Greg Glassgow is Thulsa Doom.

Except a cult leader needs to be charismatic and have unflinching loyalty from his followers.

I already explained it to you on a previous thread but Glassman is a very divisive person and alienates a lot of people with his ranting and crazy ideology, be they either affiliates, health professionals or regular gym members.

Many affiliates (mine included) only use the Crossfit name and do not take what he says as gospel. In fact, speaking candidly with the Coaches they all think he's a hypocrite and a headcase.

Contrary to popular belief, programming is involved in CF, it's not completely random. I was a decent athlete before coming to CF and I trained and was trained at the level below full professionalism in my sport (Rugby) but now Crossfit is my sport. It does put itself across as the sport of "fitness" just as The WSM portrays itself as the sport of "strength". I aim to compete in my regional games in October and the best way to do that is to attend as many WOD's, Oly lifting sessions and technique classes that my body can handle.

Except a cult leader needs to be charismatic and have unflinching loyalty from his followers.

I already explained it to you on a previous thread but Glassman is a very divisive person and alienates a lot of people with his ranting and crazy ideology, be they either affiliates, health professionals or regular gym members.

Many affiliates (mine included) only use the Crossfit name and do not take what he says as gospel. In fact, speaking candidly with the Coaches they all think he's a hypocrite and a headcase.

Contrary to popular belief, programming is involved in CF, it's not completely random. I was a decent athlete before coming to CF and I trained and was trained at the level below full professionalism in my sport (Rugby) but now Crossfit is my sport. It does put itself across as the sport of "fitness" just as The WSM portrays itself as the sport of "strength". I aim to compete in my regional games in October and the best way to do that is to attend as many WOD's, Oly lifting sessions and technique classes that my body can handle.

Reminds me of the line from Southbound and Down: "Actually, I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising.":icon_lol:

right on! *fist pump*. im gonna train for the one here hopefully. well see anyway

Reminds me of the line from Southbound and Down: "Actually, I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising.":icon_lol:

You mean EASTbound and Down? Dude, you're fucking OUT... of this thread for forgetting the title of quite possibly the greatest show on television today.

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for pussies." - "Kenny Powers"

Well I hope your CF gym isn't like the rest. And I hope to god you don't buy into doing 20 fucking snatches after burpees and box jumps.

So if your affiliate gym is so much better then Glassman's teachings then why not dump the name and be a more respectable S&C gym?

And lol at trying to be a sport about "fitness". It's such a broad term that one really can't explain. And I really wouldn't consider CF a sport.

You mean EASTbound and Down? Dude, you're fucking OUT... of this thread for forgetting the title of quite possibly the greatest show on television today.

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for pussies." - "Kenny Powers"

My bad.:redface::icon_lol:

But the greatest show on television today? Bitch, please!

Eastbound and Down - you're fucking out, Dexter is fucking in!:cool::icon_twis

My bad.:redface::icon_lol:

But the greatest show on television today? Bitch, please!

Eastbound and Down - you're fucking out, Dexter is fucking in!:cool::icon_twis

Dexter? Fuck man, that show hasn't been good for a loooong time. Boardwalk Empire shits all over Dexter, and Kenny fuckin' Powers pisses all over that shit, and pours a beer on it afterwards, then throws a few 100mph fastballs at that pile of beer smelling pissy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back