Harley Davidson makes its move...

Why? It feels like that was a while ago but at the time I remember thinking "well duh". It kinda came out of nowhere but it made sense to me. Brand/fluff over product is something that resonates with the UFC's target audience.

I know they used to give Harleys to TUF winners but Tapout/Affliction fans had kind of died down by the time that deal went through. They've got a more mainstream audience now and i don't think even Tapout douches were Harley riders target demographic. Just didn't seem like a fit over a beer or spirit company.

Expect more companies with good business in the EU to do this.

I see the Orange baby dum-dum is already attacking HD on twitter.

Bikers can buy an Indian for 4k less and still have an (arguably prettier) American made bike.

cvo-limited-gallery-1.jpg

MainImage

Looks like they just copied Honda Goldwings?

Farmers are worried about US food exports getting massive tariffs. I'm not sure it will effect them the way they expect. The US is one of the only countries that produces more food then they use. It could end up being the biggest bargaining chips the US has with China. This whole trade war is crazy and scary. I have no idea how it will turn out.

Farmers are worried about US food exports getting massive tariffs. I'm not sure it will effect them the way they expect. The US is one of the only countries that produces more food then they use. It could end up being the biggest bargaining chips the US has with China. This whole trade war is crazy and scary. I have no idea how it will turn out.

"Farmers are killing themselves in staggering numbers"

"We're hearing from farmers on our hotline that farmer stress is extremely high," Fahy said. "Every time there's more uncertainty around issues around the farm economy is another day of phones ringing off the hook."

Addressing the rise in suicide

Finances are a major reason. Since 2013, farm income has been dropping steadily, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. This year, the average farm's income is projected to be 35 percent below its 2013 level"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...staggering-numbers/ar-AAzbcCN?ocid=spartanntp

With the tariffs and the stock market taking it in the shorts, it doesn't look like it's going to get any better anytime soon.

"Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow..."
- John Mellencamp

I think when it comes to farming that is one industry the US is very competitive in. China they mostly import Soybeans. The US can produce them cheaper than anyone else. The main competitors are Brazil and Argentina.
They are happy to sell them to the Chinese even in great numbers.
The Brazilians must be celebrating Chinese sanctions more than winning the world cup. Because this is an opening they have been waiting for a long time. If the US loose sales in China that will make the whole process chain more expensive they might not recover from in the long term.

hello and good morning everyone!

we've wondered how US companies will fare in the face of the trade war. would they buckle down and take their hits?

would they thrive with captain Trump at the helm and start winning?

here's what's happening at Harley Davidson;

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/25/har...not-raise-prices-to-cover-eu-tariff-cost.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/business/harley-davidson-us-eu-tariffs.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/business&action=click&contentCollection=business&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

- IGIT
Loser, hater. Trump promised he would make things worse for American employment and he's fulfilling it. Quit your liberal whining.

hi and well met, Not A Theist,

Harley has been sending production overseas, just like all manufacturing has - but this response is new, and directly a result of the European counter tariffs.

the tariff on Harleys used to be 6%. its now 31%. this move was not one that was on the drawing boards - the company itself has stated that it could take as long as eighteen months to complete.

regarding Harleys themselves...they are what they are. huge, loud, rather cumbersome bikes that cost over 20k. that's their niche - and they dominate it - but its still a niche bike. no one is going to want to ride a Harley Davidson moped or a Harley Davidson electric scooter.

- IGIT
thats too bad because hilarity could ensue if they did make a relatively affordable scooter. I can imagine I’m not a tough guy but I play one on weekends types clad in black leather sitting on a Harley Davidson scooter with a fat chick on the back. It would be glorious.

Expect more companies with good business in the EU to do this.

I see the Orange baby dum-dum is already attacking HD on twitter.

Looks like they just copied Honda Goldwings?
Yeah those were piss poor examples of good looking Indian bikes:
MainImage

But... but... think of all the Trump voters with red, white, and blue Harley Davidson tattoos!

Oh well, at leas the Thai flag has the same color scheme.

I wonder if the Truptards are gonna smash their bikes with hammers ala Kurig?

I guess then those companies will have to watch their sales plummet. And speaking of uncertainty, there's not much to go on in terms of how long this "trade war" will be waged, so shifting production for that reasoning alone also sounds risky.

Could be. Trade wars tend to hurt everyone involved and provide no benefits. One would think right-wing libertarians would be screaming from the mountaintops about this one, but I haven't seen it.

you mean to tell me a corporation got their tax break, then immediately shifted to another country to continue reaping profits at domestic expense?

THE HELL YOU SAY!

They wil be taxed like never before.....sure sounds like a threat. I remember when cons used to call obama a dictator. But I dont remember him threatening companies

Good thing Trump can't single out a company and impose a tax on them.

Honestly, however much I'd like to blame Trump for this, I'd guess that it's more like the fact that HD's business model caters towards a juvenile notion of masculinity which is falling out of style in our culture. Trump himself is a part of that culture to a degree but I think as we have generations of more balanced and less insecure young men growing up we'll see companies like Harley Davidson continuing to flounder.

They'd best take a lesson from a company like Budweiser and start making the bike version of light beers and mixed beer drinks before they're swept under a tide of hybrid scooters and battery powered bikes.
currently their biggest sales are in Europe, so it isn't surprising that they would try to skirt the tariffs. The bigger problem with this is that Trump brought the executives up to DC with a bunch of Harleys in tow to show off "American Made" and how great it's going to be now that we have an "America First" president. Harley of course played up to that image to get the tax breaks and to push the "buy American" agenda all the while they knew that the American market wasn't their cash cow anymore, it's the Europeans and others that are still enamoured with the romantic "outlaw biker" facade. So basically this makes it look like Trump got played, which of course we all know is something he can't let go.
Harley had their chance with Buell, but it failed sadly. I thought Buells were good bikes. The tariffs are Trump's fault, the fact that Harley used them as an excuse to move production more out of the country isn't Trump's fault and quite honestly they are betting the benefits will outweigh the risks, which based on their current sales it probably will.

Good thing Trump can't single out a company and impose a tax on them.
I know, but the fact that he even tweets this kind of stuff and thinks its normal for a president to threatened a private company is worrying. And so many of the people on his party are keeping it quite, while they would have gone nuts of a Dem acted this way

Back