Has Canelo Reached A Whole New Level?

Who mentioned Canelo's unified titles? You brought them up. Usyk's unified CW title is better than any body of work Canelo has done.
Canelo’s isnt as good as the best run/unitication of all time? Oh no! Canelo is a total bum then I guess.

I didnt realize time decided rankings. All along I thought it was the people who actually watched the sport.

Then again, you dont even watch or know who these guys are so Im not sure why Im bothering to respond lol
come on, you know how it works, Ali wasn't ranked well at his peak, not at all. Only a decade or so later was his career put into proper perspective. Sugar Ray Robinson was an exception because he was Sugar Ray Robinson. Holmes was never really appreciated like he should have been which happens too.

This fight, maybe I'll watch but if i start seeing a lot of stiff movement and goofy fundamentals like elbows splayed out which I've seen Canelo do, I'll shut it off. So what, he clobbered a guy who has no punch, now he's better than everyone in history?

Canelo’s isnt as good as the best run/unitication of all time? Oh no! Canelo is a total bum then I guess.
LOL so just because I think Usyk has achieved more than Canelo so I must think Canelo is a bum?! You are reaching now

im-feeling-good-reaching.gif

Canelo is amazing and clearly the p4p best at the moment. He learns from every single fight, even when he dominates, and it clearly shows. He is also a work horse in the gym.

He is only 31 and hopefully stays hungry for another 5+ years, and stays active. Truly a pleasure to watch

LOL so just because I think Usyk has achieved more than Canelo so I must think Canelo is a bum?! You are reaching now

im-feeling-good-reaching.gif
You brought up the best run of all time to try to downplay Canelo’s unification.

come on, you know how it works, Ali wasn't ranked well at his peak, not at all. Only a decade or so later was his career put into proper perspective. Sugar Ray Robinson was an exception because he was Sugar Ray Robinson. Holmes was never really appreciated like he should have been which happens too.

This fight, maybe I'll watch but if i start seeing a lot of stiff movement and goofy fundamentals like elbows splayed out which I've seen Canelo do, I'll shut it off. So what, he clobbered a guy who has no punch, now he's better than everyone in history?
So you come on a boxing forum to complain about fighters and fights you dont watch? Kind of weird but ok man

You brought up the best run of all time to try to downplay Canelo’s unification.
We are comparing unifications vs. unification. Canelo has more of them, Usyk has the better quality. I think Usyk's quality has more gravitas than Canelo's 3 division unification. If you don't agree then I don't have any issue with that.

So you come on a boxing forum to complain about fighters and fights you dont watch? Kind of weird but ok man
ok man, i just saw a few highlights, maybe i'll watch more. but no, what I get irritated by is after every big fight it's the same, and much of the time (Like with AJ and the last guy) once their guy loses they have to go hide for awhile, then the next time, "oh, is he better than (insert whoever here". After all the time I've been watching, I try to look at progress as it's usually incremental and very few fighters, even the ones getting all the shine, deserve that attention. Look at Donald Curry, people were saying he was better than Hagler, Hearns, etc.., He said it himself and lots of people agreed. Even as young and stupid as I was, barely beating Starling, looking mediocre against Jun Sook Hwang, kind of stayed in my mind. He ends up quitting against the unheralded Honeyghan, winning maybe one round along the way and now no one even talks about him.

Back then, it was the media pumping guys up so it was different. It sold boxing magazines and got people watching to pump up guys who hadn't proved themselves. Now it's not the media, it's fans who have their own bias' and aren't really that knowledgable but they are even less objective than they hype of the old days.

i'm watching a highlights, why are they talking shit at the weigh in when neither can understand each other?

some goof just started a thread asking could canelo beat the heavyweight champ, it knows no bounds.

I know he has to be there but it just feels wrong seeing Chavez Jr on a list like that, he's so out of place.
I mean each of those guys have "champions" that aren't really much more than top 10 fighters. The belts did expand in the Canelo era too because the WBO became a requirement for undisputed status in 2008 (granted, you can say the WBO had gained its current prestige in hte mid 2000s, but still, it wasn't worth much for a large part of Manny and Floyd's early careers).

I agree!!! Canelo Alvarez is the best fighter in the world today and just on a different level than every other fighter.

after every big fight today it's always the same talk. Not knowing either fighter, Plant is apparently a mover with no power, if that's the case, you better have pernell whitaker like skills, if you don't, anyone with some pop can beat you. Not surprised or impressed and didn't watch, and no, he's not a Hagler.
You didn't watch the fight, havent seen any of these guys fight, and followed it with "Not impressed".
Against who? His best win is GGG but he is 1-1 in my view against him. Usyk beat Breidis, Gassiev and Joshua. Who are Canelo's best three wins? GGG (lucky draw in the 1st fight), Jacobs and shot Kovalev. I'd say Usyk has the better top 3 wins and no losses.
Breidis and Gassiev are not GGG or Kovalev and have no resume or backing saying they are so. Its just names that Usyk fans highlight to big up there case of Oleksandr being that great. I think they are Ok to be honest with you. Nothing fascinating about them.

Canelo has beaten 18 different World Champions.
Usyk is 19-0.
Fuck outta here.
Canelos resume is better than Usyks, how could it not be.

After Saturday night, Canelo continues to look absolutely incredible and display an enormous skill gap between him and his opponents.

Post GGG v Canelo 2, Canelo has only given up early rounds to hone in his timing before taking over completely and had a competitive but glorified sparring match with Danny Jacobs.

So, has this current version of Canelo really reached an entirely new level of skill and ability or is GGG just unrivaled as quality opposition for Canelo so far?

huh? Many people had the fight close going into the 11th, so your narrative of huge skill gap does not fit this fight. You are acting like it was a Canelo v Mayweather schooling or something. Most of Canelos fights are largely competitive until they end. The highest level of elites didn't have glorified sparring matches, they beat their opponents down completely.

It’s like we forget he lost twice to ggg and possibly lara.

save it…

after every big fight today it's always the same talk. Not knowing either fighter, Plant is apparently a mover with no power, if that's the case, you better have pernell whitaker like skills, if you don't, anyone with some pop can beat you. Not surprised or impressed and didn't watch, and no, he's not a Hagler.
you're not impressed by a performance you didn't see.

brilliant.

You didn't watch the fight, havent seen any of these guys fight, and followed it with "Not impressed".

Breidis and Gassiev are not GGG or Kovalev and have no resume or backing saying they are so. Its just names that Usyk fans highlight to big up there case of Oleksandr being that great. I think they are Ok to be honest with you. Nothing fascinating about them.
Breidis and Gassiev were both the best CW's in the division and in their prime when Usyk beat them. Canelo beat GGG at the tail end of his career, after arguably losing the first fight, and beat a shot Kovalev.

Breidis and Gassiev were both the best CW's in the division and in their prime when Usyk beat them. Canelo beat GGG at the tail end of his career, after arguably losing the first fight, and beat a shot Kovalev.

Past prime Golovkin and Kovalev are better wins. Also it was Canelo's fourth weight class when fighting Kovalev. Canelo has also given up height and reach while unifying vs Smith and Plant. Four weight classes, plus undisputed, plus wins over Golovkin, Kovalev, Jacobs, and Cotto top anything Usyk has done, and probably ever will do.

Back