Has Canelo Reached A Whole New Level?

It's quite simple, Golovkin and Kovalev are more accomplished fighters than they are. Golovkin debuted as a pro at an older age, even if Canelo would've fought him right after winning the title against Cotto, Golovkin would have been 34. Now lets look at when Canelo actually did fight him, he was a whopping.... 35 lol. Don't forget that Canelo was in his second weight class, having moved up from 154. And for Kovalev he was in his fourth weight class, standing at just 5'7'' fighting the highest rated light heavyweight.
22 months passed between the cotto fight and the first golovkin fight

I think Golovkin, even a few years past his prime is a higher caliber than either of those guys, especially Gassiev. The issue is that for a lot of fans and historians the fights with Golovkin are questionable, especially the first but even the second seemed like such an evenly contested bout.

I'm a diehard GGG fan so i know what you mean, but the problem isn't so much GGG, it's Kov... GGG + that version of Kov does not equal Gassiev + Breidis, that's the point i was trying to make.

I'm a diehard GGG fan so i know what you mean, but the problem isn't so much GGG, it's Kov... GGG + that version of Kov does not equal Gassiev + Breidis, that's the point i was trying to make.
I think part of what made the kovalev win more impressive was the size disadvantage. Kind of like beating Aj for Usyk. Usyk is far more skilled and talented than AJ but the disadvantage in size against a hw champ is what made it an impressive victory. Canelo has no business at lhw and kovalev was still a champ at the time

I think part of what made the kovalev win more impressive was the size disadvantage. Kind of like beating Aj for Usyk. Usyk is far more skilled and talented than AJ but the disadvantage in size against a hw champ is what made it an impressive victory. Canelo has no business at lhw and kovalev was still a champ at the time
Big difference Kovalev was on the slide, majorly. AJ was in his prime when Usyk done him.

In before "Charlo was too small, Beterbiev was too old and Benavidez was overrated".

These things will always happen unfortunately, but Kovalev was and is a shell, that's indisputable.

These things will always happen unfortunately, but Kovalev was and is a shell, that's indisputable.

One could argue he was still a belt holder and a tall order for a first bout at 175. Sure, he had been mightier, though. The fact of the matter is that people who downplay this win tend to get picky over every single win in Ginger's resume. Golovkin was too old and screwed by the judges, unbeaten champions Liam Smith, Callum Smith, Caleb Plant and BJS were cans, Jacobs and Trout arguably pulled a draw, Lara actually won, Cotto and Khan were midgets at 160, Angulo and Kirkland were damaged goods, etc.

You can get picky about literally any resume in boxing history and the way people specifically downplay Canelo's gets immensely creative at times. On a side note I don't really get why others shit on the likes of Lomachenko's either. But I'm sure of one thing : when it's all cut and dry the same fellows who claim Charlo, Benadivez and Beterbiev would beat him will downplay said wins if Canelo gets to defeat them too.

Last edited:
One could argue he was still a belt holder and a tall order for a first bout at 175. Sure, he had been mightier, though. The fact of the matter is that people who downplay this win tend to get picky over every single win in Ginger's resume. Golovkin was old and screwed by the judges, unbeaten champions Liam Smith, Callum Smith, Caleb Plant and BJS were cans, Jacobs and Trout arguably pulled a draw, Lara actually won, Cotto and Khan were midgets at 160, Angulo and Kirkland were damaged goods, etc.

You can get picky about literally any resume in boxing history and the way people specifically downplay Canelo's is immensely creative at times. On a side note I don't really get why people shit on the likes of Lomachenko's either.

I've said many times i want Canelo to lose almost every fight he's in, yet i've always respected what he's done. I only criticize the Kov win because he was selected when he was at his weakest, and he was noticeably the easiest LHW champ to beat at the time. Again, it's a win over a LHW champ i know, i'm not discounting it, but it's not a better win for Canelo than either of Usyk's wins over prime Gassiev and Breidis in my opinion.

I also don't get the Loma hate to be honest, then again i like to watch boxers like Bivol, Usyk and Loma do their thing.

I've said many times i want Canelo to lose almost every fight he's in, yet i've always respected what he's done. I only criticize the Kov win because he was selected when he was at his weakest, and he was noticeably the easiest LHW champ to beat at the time. Again, it's a win over a LHW champ i know, i'm not discounting it, but it's not a better win for Canelo than either of Usyk's wins over prime Gassiev and Breidis in my opinion.

I also don't get the Loma hate to be honest, then again i like to watch boxers like Bivol, Usyk and Loma do their thing.

The Kovalev win is a good one but it's not the best on Canelo's resume indeed - and I agree about Gassiev and Briedis's being better wins on Usyk's resume.

Last edited:
Kov win is bs, he was a shell, proof of this is that Canelo took the fight, if he weren’t a shell the fight doesn’t happen, that simple.

Kov win is bs, he was a shell, proof of this is that Canelo took the fight, if he weren’t a shell the fight doesn’t happen, that simple.
He was ranked 2nd or 3rd LHW at the time, depending on what ranking you prefer and was the WBO World Light Heavyweight Champ at the time.
He also is a bigger name than anyone else in the LHW division.

He was ranked 2nd or 3rd LHW at the time, depending on what ranking you prefer and was the WBO World Light Heavyweight Champ at the time.

Yup. But also on the downslope, while managing to win a bunch of rounds against Canelo. Both are true.

Not saying anything of that isn’t true. It was. But he was still also a shell of his former self, there’s a reason canelo jumped at the opportunity, nobody expected kovalev to win.

Big difference Kovalev was on the slide, majorly. AJ was in his prime when Usyk done him.

I think there’s very few active fighters that have 3 wins as good as usyk. All multiple title holders, in their home towns and all in their primes? The people that claim he’s no where near p4p contention are as deluded as those that think canelo is over rated

Last edited:
I think there’s very few active fighters that have 3 wins as good as usyk. All multiple title holders, in their home towns and all in their primes? The people that claim he’s no where near p4p contention are as deluded as those that think canelo is over rated
Absolutely. They are the top two P4P without a doubt. Usyk has the quality and Canelo has quantity.

Absolutely. They are the top two P4P without a doubt. Usyk has the quality and Canelo has quantity.
Beating GGG is bigger than any Usyk win. Ruiz already ended the Joshua aura, and if he didnt come in fatter than fat, he probably couldve won again in the rematch.

Beating GGG is bigger than any Usyk win. Ruiz already ended the Joshua aura, and if he didnt come in fatter than fat, he probably couldve won again in the rematch.
In my opinion GGG is bigger than any Joshua opponent and Canelo lost the first fight to GGG. Ruiz could have come in like a racing greyhound and he'd still have lost. His feet have always been slow. Joshua gave him a completely different look that Ruiz would never have managed to beat. Usyk has no maybe fights, he won them all.

In my opinion GGG is bigger than any Joshua opponent and Canelo lost the first fight to GGG. Ruiz could have come in like a racing greyhound and he'd still have lost. His feet have always been slow. Joshua gave him a completely different look that Ruiz would never have managed to beat. Usyk has no maybe fights, he won them all.
No maybe fights? Did you not watch the Briedis fight? It was pretty damn close, and hes only 19 fights in. Canelo is 60 fights in.
Feels like we're only a few posts away from "Usyk has never lost a round" type nonsense.

Back