Has Canelo Reached A Whole New Level?

In my opinion GGG is bigger than any Joshua opponent and Canelo lost the first fight to GGG. Ruiz could have come in like a racing greyhound and he'd still have lost. His feet have always been slow. Joshua gave him a completely different look that Ruiz would never have managed to beat. Usyk has no maybe fights, he won them all.
I had to go check but Usyk was down on 2 judges scorecards when he stopped Bellew in the 8th.
Some of the ppl in here give Canelo shit for being up on 2 scorecards (96-94) against Kovalev yet theres Usyk losing to Bellew before blasting him out.

I had to go check but Usyk was down on 2 judges scorecards when he stopped Bellew in the 8th.
Some of the ppl in here give Canelo shit for being up on 2 scorecards (96-94) against Kovalev yet theres Usyk losing to Bellew before blasting him out.

If you think it looked like usyk was gonna lose that fight at any point, then I suggest you rewatch it. Or maybe you haven’t seen it?

Anyone giving either canelo or usyk shit over those performances, needs to have a serious word with themselves

No maybe fights? Did you not watch the Briedis fight? It was pretty damn close, and hes only 19 fights in. Canelo is 60 fights in.
Feels like we're only a few posts away from "Usyk has never lost a round" type nonsense.
Breidis did well but he lost. Canelo is 60 fights in and we are seriously discussing if Usyk is better after only 19 pro fights.

That's because British judging is the worst

Breidis did well but he lost. Canelo is 60 fights in and we are seriously discussing if Usyk is better after only 19 pro fights.
No ones seriously discussing this but about 4 ppl on this site.

I think the thing that strikes me about Canelo is super special is that he’s kind of a reincarnated Joe Louis type.

If you look at the greatness from someone like Lomachenko or Floyd, it’s this innovative set of skills presented where they’re usually outthinking their opponents. Which is obviously amazing to see.

Then you have the physical freak fighters like GGG or Beterbiev with god-given power. Super exciting as well.

But I think Canelo impressed me the most because he’s just that damned good at meat-and-potatoes boxing. He employs every slip, parry, and catch well, he throws pretty much the entire punch selection, he’s seamless between defense and offense, and he does it against high level opposition. It’s actually super rare.

he's having a manny pac-esque run through the divisions but hes murking dudes at all levels too.

the best part is that he isnt chasing wins, he's taking on tough fights at weights he probably has no business being.

he's stayed very active in the last year and has given fans a lot of memories. no one is doing what he's doing right now, everyones avoiding fights, talking shit and acting like they move the needle.

No ones seriously discussing this but about 4 ppl on this site.
No I counted 13 people who would rate Usyk over Canelo if he beats Fury, 5 of them already rate Usyk better. I think that's fair too. Canelo would need to fight and beat Beterbiev to stay in the argument.

I like canelo style and how he fights often that being said I just re watched both the GGG fights and have him loosing both. I definitely think he has improved since then though

i love ya dude but come on now.

I'm not so sure that guys like Billy Joe Saunders or Callum Smith, would've been capable of hanging in there during the 90s era of Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Gerald McClellan, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, etc.

I think they would've been regionally recognized fighters at best, competing for regional belts, not world level. This just happens to be a particularly weak era, which is why a blown-up light middleweight has been feasting.

I'm not so sure that guys like Billy Joe Saunders or Callum Smith, would've been capable of hanging in there during the 90s era of Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Gerald McClellan, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, etc.

I think they would've been regionally recognized fighters at best, competing for regional belts, not world level. This just happens to be a particularly weak era, which is why a blown-up light middleweight has been feasting.

fair enough. But then again, that era was quite possibly strongest of all time.

Atleast you admit the redhead is way undersized for the weight classes in which he is currently competing.

fair enough. But then again, that era was quite possibly strongest of all time.

Atleast you admit the redhead is way undersized for the weight classes in which he is currently competing.

Can't really recall too many 5'7 super middleweights with a 70 inch reach in history outside of Vinny Paz and we know how that went.

Alvarez no doubt is a freak but in a stronger era he would be much more content staying in his natural weight divisions.

Can't really recall too many 5'7 super middleweights with a 70 inch reach in history outside of Vinny Paz and we know how that went.

Alvarez no doubt is a freak but in a stronger era he would be much more content staying in his natural weight divisions.

nor can I. Haha

That’s most likely correct, but the guy can only swap shots w the people currently fighting, Nonetheless, as you say, he is kind of a freak.

Truth be told, while watching his early career, I never thought he would reach this level. There is something to be said for hard work. Impressive stuff.

I don't think he looked so great. Plant can't punch and for some reason didn't move. Boxers who can move like Trout, Mayweather and Lara have caused Canelo all kinds of problems.

Plant basically played some flashy defense but since he stayed in the same place and offered nothing by way of return fire, the outcome was inevitable.

I don't think he looked so great. Plant can't punch and for some reason didn't move. Boxers who can move like Trout, Mayweather and Lara have caused Canelo all kinds of problems.

Plant basically played some flashy defense but since he stayed in the same place and offered nothing by way of return fire, the outcome was inevitable.
Plant was moving fine until Canelo started beating the ever living hell out of his midsection. It wrecked him.

His lack of anything resembling power was always going to his downfall here though. Plant is one of the more talented boxers around that weight but he lacks so badly in that department.

Back