Has Europe surpassed Brazil as MMA 2nd best area?

Well isn't that the main reason for many of the Brazilians to fight professionally and become rich?

To be able to leave Brazil and maybe live in USA instead?
Wouldn't hurt to put their hard earned money back into the Brazilian economy

What about ones inside the UFC? I can't think of any blue-chip brazilian prospects atm, unless Moraes is a "prospect".
Lucas Ramos
Alexandre Pantoja
Junior Albini
Marcelo Golm
Markus Perez
Cowboy
Gilbert Burns
Sheymon Moraes
plus the ones already mentioned

Europe is a continent and has about 500 million more people than Brazil...and still has about the same number of top 100 fighters.

So no, Brazil>Europe

How many Canadians start in the UFC that weren't from Tri-Star?? Once a gym has ongoing relations with the UFC, it' an easy access point for young athletes to get there foot in the door.

Brazilian camps have had decades of work relations with the UFC. While most European fighters have to move to a top gym in order to get in.

Lucas Ramos
Alexandre Pantoja
Junior Albini
Marcelo Golm
Markus Perez
Cowboy
Gilbert Burns
Sheymon Moraes
plus the ones already mentioned

None of those are anything in the dimension of top prospects though (almost of them have already lost in their short UFC careers), unless you want to be very generous about Ramos (I thought the elbow looked flukey).
I wouldn't call Cowboy O a prospect at all.

The two that were previously named Costa and Moicano were great picks though.

Well there certainly are more Europeans currently at the top compared to Brazilians. Aldo was outmatched recently but they still have RDA as a potential champ in the close future.

Russians are not Europeans according to Europeans.

Geographical border of continental Europe in the East are the Ural mountains and the majority of Russian population is west of that. Russia is culturally, politically and geographically clearly European.

While not on the level of elite prospect Erick Silva, there are still some pretty damn good Brazilian prospects like Paulo Costa, Antonio Carlos Jr, Alexander Pantoja, and Ricardo Ramos.
Pantoja is legit, its too bad he has to deal with MM.

None of those are anything in the dimension of top prospects though (almost of them have already lost in their short UFC careers), unless you want to be very generous about Ramos (I thought the elbow looked flukey).
I wouldn't call Cowboy O a prospect at all.

The two that were previously named Costa and Moicano were great picks though.
There's Vicente Luque as well, looks promising

s-l300.jpg

European countries have definitely come into their own, that's for sure. The head start that the US, Brazil and Canada had doesn't mean as much now.

Canada has completely fallen behind. I have a hard time thinking of anyone, save MacDonald.

Maybe, Europe might be a little bit ahead of Brazil. But it ain't by much if they are.

Meanwhile, if you break down Europe into different countries and make comparisons, Brazil slaughters them all.

Fedor was born in Ukraine which is 2000km west of the Ural mountains.
You're right...I just checked...thanks. I had assumed he was from Siberia. I should have checked it out before posting. Cheers for not insulting me for my stupidity, as most surely some Sherdoggers would have.

Back