Has there ever been a more pampered fighter in all of combat sports than...

Jon Jones. Say what you want about Mcgregor, but he never failed 3 PED tests. Jon Jones should be banned for life at this point, yet he's getting to fight where and when he chooses, just like Mcgregor, and he hasn't made anywhere near as much money for the UFC as Mcgregor has in 5 years.

Dude fights Mendes on short notice, Aldo, moves up and beats 155 champ.
Had deals to fight RDJ. Eventually comes back and fights Khabib.

Say what you will about his character and the like, but he's a good fighter. It's that simple.

I don't like a lot of great fighters character or antics. But I'm not blinded by hatred so I can easily affirm their quality in the cage. I'll never understand folks thinking these fighters are bad, lol.
Yes, he's a good one dimensional fighter. I dont think anyone would argue that. However that is not the subject of this thread.

... Conor McGregor? Because I'm struggling to come up another that has been coddled, pampered, and accommodated as much as he has.no

Not only by Dana white but the whole sport bends backwards for him. He can jump in and out from the sport as he pleases, and chooses his own fights basically. He is the definition of Special treatment.

Pampered? He took a easy yet risky fight against Siver to stay active befor his title shot.

He filled in last minute against Diaz and gave all his haters a much wanted loss.
Rematched at 170 instead of running to 155. Both great fights that brought new eyes to the sport.

Predicted, hyped & earned by trolling his way to a Mayweather fight & MMA/Boxing promotion nobody ever thought would happen.

Defended against the #1 LW worst match up for him when he didn't have to even return 100+ mill.

He was also respected as one of the most active fighters before he became double champ. Pampered my ass.

Canelo is coddled and protected in boxing

... Conor McGregor? Because I'm struggling to come up another that has been coddled, pampered, and accommodated as much as he has.no

Not only by Dana white but the whole sport bends backwards for him. He can jump in and out from the sport as he pleases, and chooses his own fights basically. He is the definition of Special treatment.

MVP by a pretty wide margin. Dude went 8-0 in Bellator's only stacked division before getting his first ranked opponent : a shopworn Daley.

Conor McGregor never getting the credit for how much he’s done for the ufc. He brought in huge numbers by working hard, and thus he acquired rewards.

giphy.gif

It helps when the organization decides to spend far more cash promoting you (and Rousey) and using all their connections and resources to push you and your cards than all the other champions combined.
McGregor showed up with fans and hype, as well as did a lot on his own to cultivate his image. Same with Rousey (or maybe her mom...). Zuffa didn't just give their support to some nobodies and get a massive return on their investment. They had to have something worthwhile in the first place. You also can't ignore their ability and accomplishments in the cage. If the investment and support from Zuffa or now WME mattered that much, UFC would never be hurting for a draw.

He can only exploit it if there's a demand for it. It's so sad. He's a spoilt child and tasteless. It's great when there's personality on the roster, but only if it's real. Askren with his ''fight me in the cage, dumbo" attitude, or Israel's utter belief that he is rising to a level that will eventually be enough to rival Jones, Gastelum's complete believe that he will get become champion, Gaethje who was born to be in MMA. Real people, real stories, real action. Feck Conor and his pantomime. Dana should cut him loose but he just sees money, the wanker.
UFC was ripe and waiting for someone like McGregor. UFC fans by and large aren't honorable martial artists or high-brow people, so McGregor's shtick was always going to be a hit with the people who liked the trash talk of Tito and Sonnen or pro-wrestler freakshow of Lesnar, or enjoy the general "car crash TV" aspect of MMA. I mean, the sport in the US as we know it is a result of a show featuring a bunch of fighters getting their MTV on with audience retention from WWE RAW. For the most part, we're not talking about people who care about "real" or anything serious.

But yeah, of course UFC only sees money. Make money first, make MMA second. That's what they've always been about and always will be about. McGregor recognized that, seeing the chance to make a star of himself and get paid, capitalizing on it like nobody else could.

The answer lies in the question...has any other fighter made the UFC more money than Conor? It's smart business to keep your best salesman happy.

McGregor showed up with fans and hype, as well as did a lot on his own to cultivate his image. Same with Rousey (or maybe her mom...). Zuffa didn't just give their support to some nobodies and get a massive return on their investment. They had to have something worthwhile in the first place. You also can't ignore their ability and accomplishments in the cage. If the investment and support from Zuffa or now WME mattered that much, UFC would never be hurting for a draw.

UFC was ripe and waiting for someone like McGregor. UFC fans by and large aren't honorable martial artists or high-brow people, so McGregor's shtick was always going to be a hit with the people who liked the trash talk of Tito and Sonnen or pro-wrestler freakshow of Lesnar, or enjoy the general "car crash TV" aspect of MMA. I mean, the sport in the US as we know it is a result of a show featuring a bunch of fighters getting their MTV on with audience retention from WWE RAW. For the most part, we're not talking about people who care about "real" or anything serious.

But yeah, of course UFC only sees money. Make money first, make MMA second. That's what they've always been about and always will be about. McGregor recognized that, seeing the chance to make a star of himself and get paid, capitalizing on it like nobody else could.

Conor based his whole persona off Floyd and Ali. I don't know why its always gotta be the WWE when its closer to Boxing stars

Being put in an octagon with aldo, than diaz after already being choked out, and khabib are about as far away from pampered as you can get. Conrad is balls deep in your head.

O fuck, you know what mean millions and millions of dollar? No for sure, this why you ask.

Conor based his whole persona off Floyd and Ali. I don't know why its always gotta be the WWE when its closer to Boxing stars
Ali lifted his act from "Gorgeous" George Wagner. But I didn't say that McGregor got it from WWE, just that it appeals greatly to a fanbase that crosses over with WWE.

Ronda Rousey and it’s not even close.

Ali lifted his act from "Gorgeous" George Wagner. But I didn't say that McGregor got it from WWE, just that it appeals greatly to a fanbase that crosses over with WWE.

Ali was kinda influenced by "Gorgeous" George Wagner. Conor straight up stole Ali and Floyds whole personas

Back