Honolulu Med Marijuana users have 30 days to turn in their guns

SSRIs are definitely drugs.

Yeah, I think they are playing games conflating medical marijuana use with the sort of drug/alcohol abuse that's a statistical predictor of violent crime.
Apparently they've made it hard to assess the statistics there.
SSRIs and other medication probably isn't included unless it's been flagged as an abuse situtation.

Neither is use of medical marijuana
Many studies have identified cannabis as a risk factor for violence, but it is certainly not as strongly associated as alcohol and stimulant use disorders. Of course, not every person who has a medical marijuana card is going to have problematic substance use, but it's not unreasonable to assume, as it seems the appeal court did, that card holders are likely to be users and much more likely to be diagnosed with a substance use disorder. The current law is pretty clear. No guns for any unlawful use of or addiction to any controlled substance. Whether that's fair or not, that's what threat assessment research is for.

Just reschedule already, you fucking idiot feds.
Even if marijuana is moved out of category I, it will never fall off the controlled substance list, so potheads will still be banned under the current federal law.

Total bullshit but which ideological stripe gets the blame for this one?

Both.

Left for being anti-gun.

Right for being anti-drugs.

Many studies have identified cannabis as a risk factor for violence, but it is certainly not as strongly associated as alcohol and stimulant use disorders. Of course, not every person who has a medical marijuana card is going to have problematic substance use, but it's not unreasonable to assume, as it seems the appeal court did, that card holders are likely to be users and much more likely to be diagnosed with a substance use disorder. The current law is pretty clear. No guns for any unlawful use of or addiction to any controlled substance. Whether that's fair or not, that's what threat assessment research is for.

As I posted later, they've actively stymied information on medical marijuana as a risk factor, so it's not just "unfair" it's agenda driven and dishonest.
Seems like American legislative views on Marijuana really haven't progressed that much since they inflicted them on the rest of the world.

Total bullshit but which ideological stripe gets the blame for this one?
1968 gun control act created the prohibited person categories we have today.

It was passed by a majority Democrat house and senate

I'm not one that will get to cite this, but there's gonna be a bunch of "I told you so's" coming, and...yeah.

They did.

Registry is the 1st step to confiscation. They can't confiscate guns if they don't know which doors to knock on.

On topic, this is fucked up. Tell someone with issues that if they want to get help they have to give up a constitutional right. This will just force many people to self medicate rather than reach out and get the help they need because they don't want to give up something as important as their rights. It's also, still, punishing people for using marijuana.

'But hey, drink all the booze you want and keep yer gunz gais'

It's just stupid.

It makes no sense to anyone with a brain in the US either unless you're a gun grabber type.

Actually, I think even a lot of 'gun grabbers' here can see the idiocy of this too.

Anyone that has prescriptions for Xanax, codine etc. should turn in their guns too. WTF?!

Anyone that has prescriptions for Xanax, codine etc. should turn in their guns too. WTF?!

Be careful with this. I'd rather have someone that needs help and wants to own guns be able to do both than deal with that same person choosing their right to own guns over getting help because they can't do both.

Be careful with this. I'd rather have someone that needs help and wants to own guns be able to do both than deal with that same person choosing their right to own guns over getting help because they can't do both.
Sorry lost me on your response. Let me retort. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. One type of “drug” is said to diqualify one from owning a firearm but this other “drug” doesn’t? Kinda hyprocrytical don’t you think?

Sorry lost me on your response. Let me retort. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. One type of “drug” is said to diqualify one from owning a firearm but this other “drug” doesn’t? Kinda hyprocrytical don’t you think?

Yeah, you didn't understand my response at all. I'm saying that revoking constitutional rights over any of this -weed, booze, pills etc etc - is risky because many people will bypass getting help if they know their rights can be taken away.

In other words, I'd rather have a person seeking help also allowed to own guns rather than a self medicated person not seeking help because they don't want to lose the right to own them. Lesser of two evils imo

Lol, that you can take big pharma anti-depressants, and own guns, but not medical weed and own guns.

The best government money can buy.

Source please.
You should be able to search just as easily as anyone else can.

There may be no direct physiological link between cannabis use and violence, however, many studies show a link between the two. I don't think the question is if there is a link but rather more about its nature. It seems more likely to me to be related to shared risk factors for drug use and violence rather than some physiological effect of marijuana itself. But the fact that marijuana use can be correlated with an elevated risk of violence means firearm restrictions may have the potential to save lives.

But they said nobody is going to take your guns away.

Back