Honolulu Med Marijuana users have 30 days to turn in their guns

You should be able to search just as easily as anyone else can.

There may be no direct physiological link between cannabis use and violence, however, many studies show a link between the two. I don't think the question is if there is a link but rather more about its nature. It seems more likely to me to be related to shared risk factors for drug use and violence rather than some physiological effect of marijuana itself. But the fact that marijuana use can be correlated with an elevated risk of violence means firearm restrictions may have the potential to save lives.

Did those studies control for other substance abuse?
After all steroids are a controlled substance, and there's a statistically very significant correlation between their use and violent crime, but much less so (although still a correlation) if other substance abuse is controlled for.
In terms of medical marijuana legalistation, the correlation seems to be the opposite.
So the difference between Medical Marijuana users being prohibited from owning firearms and TRT users being prohibited, is most likely that marijuana is still illegal under federal law (ie an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act, codified at 21 U.S.C. § 802).

Did those studies control for other substance abuse?
After all steroids are a controlled substance, and there's a statistically very significant correlation between their use and violent crime, but much less so (although still a correlation) if other substance abuse is controlled for.
So the difference between Medical Marijuana users being prohibited from owning firearms and TRT users being prohibited, is most likely that marijuana is still illegal under federal law (ie an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act, codified at 21 U.S.C. § 802).

They would be shitty studies if they didn't control for other substances. I'm sure there are a lot of confounding variables muddling up the picture, and evidence is not nearly as clear as it is for drugs like alcohol and cocaine.

The main difference between marijuana and TRT seems to be that marijuana is illegal under federal law with no officially recognized medical use. What do you think about the second part of that law you quoted, "addicted to any controlled substance"? Does it matter if these card holders are addicted to marijuana? What about being addicted to opiates or Adderall?

They would be shitty studies if they didn't control for other substances. I'm sure there are a lot of confounding variables muddling up the picture, and evidence is not nearly as clear as it is for drugs like alcohol and cocaine.

The main difference between marijuana and TRT seems to be that marijuana is illegal under federal law with no officially recognized medical use. What do you think about the second part of that law you quoted, "addicted to any controlled substance"? Does it matter if these card holders are addicted to marijuana? What about being addicted to opiates or Adderall?

There are a lot of shitty studies on marijuana.
Marijuana addiction is about as much of a scourge as coffee addiction as far as I'm concerned. Considerably weaker though.
Yes, that was my point. The reason this is happening is because of the ridiculousness of the longstanding US federal policies on marijuana (a lot of which they foisted on the rest of the world through their backing/rewarding/coercing of international treaties).

Wait for the proposals to have "Alcohol user Identification Databases"

Gun rights groups have been saying for some time "don't get the card" my wife has a friend in Michigan who has her medical card. Michigan also has a handgun registry... when is that story coming out? Oh, wife's friend asked everyone on social media a year or so ago if she could keep her guns... everyone was trying to tell her she could, I disagreed.
We all knew where this was going. I don't smoke weed or own guns, but how many lists do you want to be on?

What's the deal with anti psychotics / anti depressants and guns?

Legal?

It makes no sense to anyone with a brain in the US either unless you're a gun grabber type.

Id be classed as a gun grabber but makes fuck all sense to me.

Meanwhile, you get a free pistol with every purchase of 6 cases of Jack Daniels!!!

It's been proven that the cannabis makes people eat their own children and murder strangers to score more "weed."

Did you miss all the circa 1958 propaganda or what?

Same with opinions.

True.

Society is very harmonious if you remove all opinions, power, and rights from the lower classes.

Until some of those powerful people abuse the lower classes and then cover it up.

Say like a Beijing daycare center...

Of the 700 homicides in just Chicago each year I'd bet that 95% of the shooters had weed in their system.

id bet you that 95% of people who dont have weed in their systems will kill themselves this year. Better take away all poeple not actively smoking's guns.

Yeah slope is sliding fast. Oregon recently passed a firearm confiscation law initially intended to prevent suicides and domestic violence but written in such broad terms that it's more or less unconditional confiscation at the discretion of... Anyone. Law enforcement, mom, roommate, crazy ex-girlfriend. If someone claims with no evidence that you've become unhinged then your basic constitutional rights are stripped within 24 hours without a trial or even probably cause.

You should keep a bugout stash of a reliable firearm & lots of ammo if you think you'll ever need it in some doomsday scenario. The stuff visible in your home is forfeit.

Being disarmed is just so psychologically unnatural and degrading, but it's also a difficult degradation to communicate to the millions of people who grew up knowing nothing else.

I know Jordan Peterson is popular in this subforum; it's similar to his fixation on impaired childhood development due to lack of roughhousing & how that person becomes a nonparticipant observer of his own species with a very nervous/binary physical presence. Passionately anti-weapon people always seem a bit psychologically off. Extreme nonparticipant observer mindset, romantization of vague authority figures who will 'sort out the outlaws' on their behalf. They infuse inanimate objects with terrifying, almost mystical properties due to lack of healthy exposure/socialization to such a basic facet of human existence.

We all knew where this was going. I don't smoke weed or own guns, but how many lists do you want to be on?
GOA and several people from the NRA (satan's own lobby group amirite) have warned gun owners for years. Do not get the medical card. The inclusion of marijuana use as a prohibited person indicator was made in 1968, there's rumblings that was intended to disarm black communities 'for their own good'

Have some propaganda to back my claim

Not sure how it's gonna get there. Hawaii is in the 9th. So if SCOTUS didn't take up the previous case, and the 9th doesn't take up any future cases, then we'd need to see something similar happen in another circuit court district. Or am I missing something?

There is a reason the 9th is the most overturned (by far). This seems so blatantly unconstitutional that the supreme court would review it.

It is such a slippery slope. Next, anybody who has ever had a beer will have their weapons taken? Anybody on pain medication? This can't and won't stand.

Outside of the tourist areas and where the wealthy live, Hawaii is a big shithole. Just watch Dog the bounty hunter sometime - meth land.

If there were no military bases the state would go bankrupt. Hawaii tourism has been going down for years - it is a lot cheaper to go to the beach in Florida.

Hawaiians are number one in the country for welfare benefits.

Sounds like a HIPAA violation to me.

ATF Form 4473, question 11e:
"Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you resides."
https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

What did these people think was going to happen?

Hawaii tourism has been going down for years...

Or exactly the opposite.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/34381765/2016-was-another-record-year-for-hawaii-tourism

The booming tourism industry saw record tourism arrivals and spending in 2016, new figures show.

It's the fifth straight year of record growth in both categories.

Some 8.9 million visitors came to the islands in 2016, a 3 percent increase from 2015, the Hawaii Tourism Authority said Monday. On average, there were about 220,000 visitors in the state on any given day.

Some argue there may be too many visitors in the islands. HTA's board chairman says there needs to be a balance.

"There needs to be a discussion as we go along...what is too much? Unfortunately, it's such a big driver of jobs that when it backs off, locals often say, 'wait, we're not able to get work,'" said Rick Fried, who is also a prominent local attorney.

I read data that was a bit different, that hawaii's growth slowed when compared to others after the recession ended. I realize that is splitting hairs, and your data certainly sounds better.

That being said, I stand by my statement that outside of the tourist and wealthy areas, much of the state is a shithole and it definitely is at the top of the welfare stats.

Back