Horiguchi Just Destroyed a Bunch of People Over in Rizin

He won the first two rounds imo against the current p4p best.
You know what, I just rewatched the first two rounds.

I don't think Horiguchi won Round 2, but Round 1 he definitely has a strong case. Parts of that fight are actually awesome, I just wish DJ didn't adapt to the correct strategy in rounds 3-5. Awesome finish though. One of my favorites.

Last edited:
i miss Gooch in the ufc. dude throws fucking lazers. i’m honestly not confident we will ever see him back in the big show unfortunately. he’s way too valuable to Rizin & will compete (& reign supreme) in multiple divisions. ufc fucking goofed by not offering a proper offer when he was still a top prospect in the flw division. i’d be 100x more amped for a MM/Gooch rematch than i will be for a MM/Cejudo rematch.

gj ufc

I think he'll want to test himself against the best guys again, but we'll see.

Rizin is likely a better situation. Being a Flyweight in UFC is pretty low key unless you’re selected to fight Johnson.

He’s getting a push in Rizin.

I’ve been impressed. He’s like a mini- prime Machida with more aggression.

You know what, I just rewatched the first two rounds.

I don't think he won Round 2, but Round 1 definitely has a strong case. Parts of that fight are actually awesome, I just wish DJ didn't adapt to the correct strategy in rounds 3-5. Awesome finish though. One of my favorites.

Kyoji very clearly improved his grappling after that fight. I wanted the rematch so bad.

Kyoji very clearly improved his grappling after that fight. I wanted the rematch so bad.
If UFC played it right, which they probably wouldn't, Horiguchi could come return to the promotion with the aura of a international star.

I don't know what Rizin puts in the water, but when you watch him there he plays off like a big deal.

giphy.gif

They rushed him into a title shot vs MM. Would like to have seen him get another crack after getting more experience. UFC were stupid for letting him walk, but that seem the norm for the ufc these days. Rory, mousasi kyoji, all top guys

I think he'll want to test himself against the best guys again, but we'll see.
i sure do hope you’re onto something, but at least as of right now, his Rizin gig seems pretty fucking sweet.

lol kape’s win over ian isn’t impressive as it was a cut due to the ropes...

Meh, Ian was getting knees in the face and found himself mounted and fighting off a choke anyways.

Like I said earlier, I consider it a win in the same way I consider masvidal to have a win over Ellenburger

Kape was on a nice win streak and fresh off a finish over Ian McCall, aka uncle creepy.

Gabriel oliveira was an undefeated FW (two ckasses above the weight class kyoji fought at in the UFC) and fresh off a win over tatsuya kawajiri aka the crusher.

Motoya and Shintaro were considered some of the best Japanese fighters for a while now.

not only did kyoji beat these guys, but he finished them all, and he finished three of them within the span of three days.

it's impressive.

well thank you, that is a reasonable and well thought out reply.

i wasn't trying to shit on Horiguchi's win streak, but i literally did not know anyone but Hideo Tokoro. i used to watch Shooto and all the lower weight classes back in the day when it was easier to keep track of the fighters. but now a lot of the lower weight divisions are dispersed among a SHIT TON of orgs, some orgs i don't even know anymore.

Kape just beat McCall. Say what youw ant about how the fight ended but to me it wa slooking like he was about to beat the shit out of him anyway

ok, i saw that fight, i just didn't remember that guy. yes, in my opinion he was wrecking McCall.

Only in MMA do supposed fans brag about how little they know or care about the sport. This is a thread about Horiguchi's accomplishments. You chimed in with a stupid opinion about how you haven't ever heard of the guys he's beaten. You should feel bad for even thinking anyone would care about such an uneducated opinion.

why don't you stay on topic and talk about Horiguchi then? instead of filling the thread up with posts about me because you feel like i was shitting on your Japanese boyfriend.

fortheo's post was exactly the post that i was looking for, while you and the rest of the white knights just make a bunch of posts criticizing me for not knowing some obscure ass motherfuckers that'll probably never make it to the UFC.

The ufc couldnt put together an exciting show to save their life.

But rizin can, like really? A legit fighting tournament? I dont want gucci back in the ufc, seeing him in rizin is way better.

The ufc lost their ways and turned on the priciples that made them great.

"Horiguchi Just Destroyed a Bunch of NO NAME CANS Over in Rizin"
More fitting of a title.

His three opponents had a combined record of 44-7-4 and 7, 7 and 10-fight winning streaks. Cans aren't known for their winning streaks. Yes, they mostly lack name recognition, so do most fighters. Usually, less known fighters with good records are called "prospects," although in Ishiwatari's case you can use the term "King of Pancrase."

Again, Horiguchi moved up a weight class and finished three opponents in three nights. How many UFC fighters have done that? How many UFC fighters have even moved up weight on their own choice?

Last edited:
I don't know who is next for him. With the tournament win he cleaned out the division more or less... I was pissed Takeshi Kasugai lost at HEAT. I was waiting too see the outcome giving it so close to RIZIN and had he won. Would be on a 8 fight win streak. But since he lost....Could still bring him in to fight someone in the mean time and then if he wins fight Horiguchi. This is who I'm talking about.
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/25768-takeshi-kasugai-agar

...Also...Rizin needs to make Hideo Tokoro - Charles Bennett just because.

I don't know who is next for him. With the tournament win he cleaned out the division more or less... I was pissed Takeshi Kasugai lost at HEAT. I was waiting too see the outcome giving it so close to RIZIN and had he won. Would be on a 8 fight win streak. But since he lost....Could still bring him in to fight someone in the mean time and then if he wins fight Horiguchi. This is who I'm talking about.
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/25768-takeshi-kasugai-agar

...Also...Rizin needs to make Hideo Tokoro - Charles Bennett just because.
Bring in Michinori Tanaka who just subbed the guy that subbed Kasugai (the recent NC, Bontorin missed weight). That's a good fight for an event outside of Saitama and NYE.

There are still tons of quality Flyweights and Bantamweights out there for Horiguchi to fight, just not a whole lot in terms of name power

His three opponents had a combined record of 44-7-4 and 7, 7 and 10-fight winning streaks. Cans aren't known for their winning streaks. Yes, they mostly lack name recognition, so do most fighters. Usually, less known fighters with good records are called "prospects," although in Ishiwatari's case you can use the term "King of Pancrase."

Again, Horiguchi moved up a weight class and finished three opponents in three nights. How many UFC fighters have done that? How many UFC fighters have even moved up weight on their own choice?
I was just adding up records too.

Until this past weekend, his last 4 opponents were 47-4 since 2012.

3 of those losses were either avenged shortly after, or to Horiguchi himself.

Last edited:
Back