How bad would prime BJ have beaten Conor?

I'm a Conor hugger that bgave Eddie a 0% chance against Conor but prime BJ would take him down and submit him handily

However BJ could only stay at that level for a very short time before getting lazy. Even when he stopped training hard he still easily took down and backmounted fitch and nick diaz at 170 though.....

@ 155 BJ via RNC while CM bleeds all over the canvas from taking a few vicious elbows. Prime BJ took everyone of his opponents down. CM might have a heck of a left hand, however BJs chin and relentlessness would've found a way to put CM on his back. We all know what happens there (the ground), just think back at what happened at UFC 196 x 3.

Last edited:
I'm not a Conor fan, but come on now. BJ was good for his time, but even BJ in his prime would get slept by Conor.

I think BJ would have found it very hard to get inside and counter and/or clinch/take down Conor.

If he does get top position, it would be complete death...I just don't see it as being particularly likely.

70 percent chance Conor wins IMO.

Conor wins first round KO. Are you kidding me? BJ Penn was great for his time. That was the past in a very new sport the newer athletes always win.

Naw.

People always say this, but you're not seeing what you think you're seeing.

YOUNGER athletes win... in ALL sports.

If Rory Macdonald couldn't finish, let alone drop a chubby, out of shape Penn, what makes these people think Conor would TKO a prime Penn? The Penn that fought Sherk would strangle any version of Conor.

if bj uses his black belt he could grapplefuck conor the problem is guys are standing and striking with conor and are being out struck it is going to take a guy like khabib to beat conor.

I'm talking 155 champ lick the blood off his gloves penn. The penn that destroyed Sanchez Stevenson etc. I think he would have destroyed Conor in 2 rounds. Boxing with BJ never ended well for people

If you knew anything about MMA you'd know prime BJ was just a gatekeeper.

Conor wins first round KO. Are you kidding me? BJ Penn was great for his time. That was the past in a very new sport the newer athletes always win.
Nate is from that time and he beat connor within 2 rounds.
i remember Nate getting handled easily by joe stevenson. There were a lot of good fighters at LW back when BJ was champ.

I really don't think Connor could ko bj, his chin is too fucking good dudes never been dropped in his career and fought monsters like Ludwig, machida, gomi, Diaz, Jens pulver. Give me a fucking break if you think Conor hits substantially harder than those guys

~DaViD~

BJ's chin was granite. He also had strong wrestling. I'm thinking back mount and RNC victory.

The delusional Conor nuthuggers on this forum are making it an unappealing place to visit. These people started watching MMA three weeks ago and yet the board is congested with their nonsense.

Conor nuthuggers have managed to be more preposterous than Fedor nuthuggers - and I didn't believe such a thing was possible.

BJ was never even knocked down, FFS. He could eat plenty of Conor's shots.

Penn has more ways to win. A punch could hurt Conor, and set up grappling. Or, BJ could just take him down, like he did Fitch. From there he could hit GnP or a RNC.

BJ would last a lot longer with Conor on the feet than McGoat would last with BJ on the ground. Fact.

first off, no offense but in threads like these there's no point in listening to anybody with a 2014 and newer join date, lol. Sorry to lump some of the old school lurkers with them, but there's too many Conor nuthuggers that partake in these discussions while their only knowledge of Penn is watching old highlights and seeing current BJ get embarrassed. It's easy to discredit the names on his win list when many of them are at or toward the end of their careers, when losses are not uncommon. Defeating Matt Hughes at WW for the belt was easily as incredible an achievement as Conor defeating Eddie. New fans don't understand that context because Hughes has no aura anymore, but he was one of the P4P best at the time, and remains a top 10 all-time fighter.

secondly, prime BJ doesn't fight anything like the guys Conor has been wrecking. McGregor has an amazing left hand, great confidence and is the most entertaining on the mic, but BJ would have made it a grappling match, and had the granite chin, boxing talent, and most importantly, the poise to make it happen. BJ can survive McGregor's world, but Conor has never showed us anything to make us believe he could stop Penn from slicing through his guard, taking the back w/ hooks for an RNC. He'd probably trap an arm while he was at it.

In all honesty I kinda feel bad for the folks that missed out on prime Penn. He was a beast. And for the old school guys that still think Conor would murk BJ, power to you. McGregor has a monster left hand (most accurate/powerful punch in the history of the lighter weight divisions imo) and these threads are obviously just conjecture. Cheers.

Like Nate Diaz who choked McGregor out? New athlete right? Wasn't his first fight and win streak in the UFC around the same time McGregor was still in high school? A decade ago...

BJ probably has better BJJ than anyone in the LW division. He got older. His skills are still phenomenal for today.

Yeah bro I've seen him fight. Have you seen Conor's left hand ?

11_Penn_Diaz_32.jpg

Nick Diaz would beat TWO Conors at once.

Lots of fans in here that never watched BJ.

BJ used to have the most legendary gas tank in the game. His chin is also legendary, probably a top 10 of all time up there with Hunt and Nelson. His striking was always vicious and he has much better BJJ than anyone competing today in the LW division.

If Conor can't KO him in the first, it's very possible that BJ outlasts him and stops him like Nate did.

Back