How Do You Cook Your Steaks?

@TeTe We've got old Mexican ladies outside of every bar in downtown San Jose waiting on drunks to come out and pay 5 dollars for one of these. Or 7 to add a Corona/Modelo and a bag of chips

la-dd-super-bowl-2015-diy-baconwrapped-hot-dog-cart-20150127

dude, if you're ever in NY, just bar hop down St. Marks & hit up Crif Dogs in between.

crif+dogs+menu+back+.jpg

tmg-slideshow_l.jpg

chicago-style-hot-dog_20231.jpg

Notice the absence of ketchup
I'm too busy noticing all the excess bullshit. I'll never understand sliced tomatoes and a whole pickle spear on a hot dog.

Last edited:
medium rare.....with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

tumblr_mezn83LGop1s05z7qo1_500.gif

Cuz of winter, I broiled mine recently, was great.

- Set the broiler on hi heat, let it heat up for at least 15 minutes.
- Steaks at room temp.
- Trimmed the extra fat (not all, just excess).
- Lightly brushed on extra virgin olive oil, both sides.
- Season only with salt (good stuff), pepper (good stuff, if you like pepper).
- Put on broil pan.
- Make sure broil rake is near the top of the oven, this will get that nice sear.
- Put it in the oven. Now, for how long, on each side, depends on thickness of the steaks. I have inch and a half fuckers, I like mine med-rare, so 5 minutes on one side, and 4 on the other. Each oven can be a bit different, but this works for me...got it down pat by the second time. First time I over cooked a bit (6 and 6), was more 'well done'.
- Of course, never use a fork, or anything that pierces the meat, use tongs to flip the meat/take it out, piecing the meat get the juices out, that's bad. When done, let meat sit for at least 5 minutes, to rest, let those juices settle in nicely.
- Eat that bitch.

The end.

Jesus fucking Christ, some of you are really making a simple task way too hard. There are two acceptable methods.
One- throw on blazing hot grill (or pan if you must) for 3-4 minutes per side, flip and 3-4 minutes on that side. let set for 5 minutes and apply NOTHING other than salt/pepper. Should be warm but raw in the middle.
Two- broiling is okay IF you have a gas oven. Same steps; hot, 3-4 minutes, and rest.

nothing beats a salisbury steak cooked for 3 minutes in the microwave. but you have to be careful because if you go longer it starts to burn and get rubbery

Microwave for 5 mins each side. Light salt and some kraft bbq sauce. Fuckin mint.

Just cooked some venison and elk steaks for company we had over.

Melted alot of butter in a pan, coated the steaks in Montreal steak seasoning, stove on high, let the steaks sit in the pan searing while being bathed in butter for about 2 minutes a side. Sweated some mushrooms and onions in another pan as a topper for the steaks.

I cook venison alot and this method is perfect for that, but it was my first time doing it for and eating Elk. Worked out pretty well, but I prefer venison if they are both cooked this way. This way makes venison melt in your mouth.

Great choice of cut.

An entree only fit for company you care about, TBH.

The most important thing to me about a well cooked ribeye is the sear.

I get the cast iron pan as hot as possible and only use butter. I never saw any need for both butter and oil for a steak.

Whatever I'm seasoning with, (usually just Salt and Pepper for a really good steak) I ALWAYS make sure the salt goes on last. The trick to caramelization (sp) for the sear is the way the hot butter and salt make a crust on the outside of the steak. Make sure you're using kosher salt (which really just means salt in larger rock-like crystals for this purpose) as table salt WILL NOT carmelize with the butter. Depending on the thickness of the steak, I can get a better sear on the outside without overcooking the inside.

Make sure to preheat your over BEFORE putting the steak in the pan. Once you have a good sear on one side, flip the steak in the pan and get one on the other side, place the steak, in the pan, into the oven and leave until the inside is cooked to your taste.

This may take trial and error based on your pan, stove and oven, but you should generally have it figured out by your second or third time trying it.

After the steak is cooked to your taste, remove it from the oven and let it sit for 4-5 minutes, uncovered to soak up the juices without ruining the crust.

Dig in.

Might seem stupid to add this but ALWAYS remember to use oven mitts when removing a cast iron pan from the oven. Most people only put a cast iron pan in the oven for making steak and if you cook every day, you might just forget the connection between putting the a pan in the oven and the handle becoming hot.....i made this unpleasant mistake the first time....

Last edited:
Lately, I've been putting a thick coating of olive oil in a frying pan and heating the electric stove burner as hot as it can get - until the olive oil begins to smoke. I put a thoroughly coated cajun spiced steak in the pan to sear, and flip it in a minute or so. Then I put it into a preheated oven at about 350 degrees on a flat pan covered with tin foil. The steak has been seared heavily on both sides. I put a movie in the dvd and start playing, going back periodically to check the steak. I like medium rare to medium. I pop the steak out and let it sit wrapped in tin foil for five minutes or so - as I get everything else plated. This works pretty well. I used to grill on a gas grill in my garage with the door open most nights of the week. This is easier and about as good.

I definitely do not like a cool center in my finished steak. I cut a terrible chuck steak two nights ago and it was actually good.

Back