How do YOU guys deadlift..

Conventional/190kg x 1 at 110(ish)kg/haven't DLed in a while, this thread makes me want to hit the gym again

172.5kg at around 81/82kg bw

Was progressing well until I a few races and need to lose a bit of weight so slipped down to around 140/150kg but don't do it as often as I did.

I thought there would be more 220kg+ deadlifters here.

I thought there would be more 220kg+ deadlifters here.

Most people fall into the 400-450lb range unless they're genuine powerlifters or strength competitors. Since this isn't the forum for that, it makes sense.

335X5 today which felt decent. 375X1 about 3 weeks ago. Want to get 405 sometime in the spring.

A year go when I was only focusing on strength, I did 215kg x 3 (473lbs) with a belt and 195kg x 4 (429lbs) without one.

Never maxed out tho. Based on percentages, I could have pulled 230-240kg. But who knows what I really could have pulled. . .

I was 5'11" and 93kgs (205lbs) at the time. In about a year, I built my deadlift from 170-180kg to the numbers above. Did it natty too and while squating twice a week.

I am no-where near an expert on the subject, but I have a few pieces of advice that helped me. I think one and two are universal, but if u have a similar body type to me (long arms/legs and a shorter torso) and pull conventional, then 3 and 4 might help too.

1. Work on ur form: try to keep each rep exactly the same in terms of form. With time, u'll get a feel for where ur body is supposed to be at different parts of the lifts.

2. Tightness: ur torso needs to be tight; like uncomfortably tight. Like u haven't taken a dump in a week and ur on the toilet tight. Shoulders and lats need to be locked down as well.

3. Pick the bar up with ur lats/upper back: The first place u should feel the weight when u pick it up is in the lats/upper back area. If ur torso is tight enough, this should allow for the proper power transfer to ur hips so u don't end up rounding ur low back.

4. Do pause deadlifts: they really suck. U should do them. It will help with picking the bar up with ur lats.

Sumo. 515lbs at 185lbs bodyweight. I just found out the record in my area is 610lbs. I think I might get a shot one day.

Here's a junior Berta boy pulling way more than that at a lower weight class.

The only reason the record stands at 610 is because it used to cost $75 dollars to officially claim a record.

600+ at 83kg is huge pull and hope you do it, though.

EDIT: I also want to add, I was at the scoring table during that pull, I immediately turned away and puked in the trash. It was sickening.

Here's a junior Berta boy pulling way more than that at a lower weight class.

He's open, not junior.

The only reason the record stands at 610 is because it used to cost $75 dollars to officially claim a record.

It's also because he's a world class lifter, so at a provincial level, it's not too weird that his lifts are often better than someone one or two weight classes up.

Thanks for killing the mood FS. Thanks a lot.

I don't think of the deadlift as a technical lift. However you can get the weight up without snapping your back, do it. My PR is 420# at 157#.

My take on it is that the setup for the deadlift is technical, and breaking the bar off the ground is technical. After that, all I do is pull as hard as I can.

I don't think of the deadlift as a technical lift. However you can get the weight up without snapping your back, do it. My PR is 420# at 157#.

Well, picking something off the ground isn't technical. Doing it while reducing the possibility of hurting yourself + reducing chances of damage down the road makes it quite a bit more technical.

Conventional. Just pulled 340lbs at 220lbs tonight. I think that is my max. My form sucks and my grip has been the limiting factor since I started.

I have what I would consider a terrible grip. If you can work up to one-hand grip hangs from an overhead bar, even the weakest grip (like mine was), can get trained up to much heavier poundages.

Try and see if you can get it for a count of one second even. If you can, do it 4-5 times a day for a week. The next week, you should be able to get 2 seconds. The training idea behind it is called "Grease the Groove". Do it weekly and you'll develop grip strength and stamina. You can do more than a second per week if you feel confident and progress faster.

If you can't get one second with your overhead bar-gripping arm for the first week, loop a counterweight over the bar with twine and hold it with the hand that isn't gripping the bar. By taking a bit of weight off, you'll find the balance that works for you.

Find your balance for hanging 15-20 seconds. I did that and then started adding weight when I held on with one arm. I bet you can get great results within a few months.

What are the advantages of an olympic dedlift vs a conventional one? I have done both in the past without ever realizing that they had names. I just saw them both ways and tried both ways for a while.

EDIT: I also want to add, I was at the scoring table during that pull, I immediately turned away and puked in the trash. It was sickening.

Why? He killed that lift. Easy, Nothing! I expected to see some extreme struggle based on your comment.

Back