How much vacation time do you get from work?

30 paid days per year.

Independent of national holidays of course.

25 days, plus bank holidays, and I work around 8-10 Saturday mornings a year that I get a full day of time off in return for. I work flexitime, so anything I do beyond 37.5 hours a week I can take additional time off for, but I rarely do.

4 weeks is the minimum by law here in new zealand plus all stat days. How come yanks get so few paid holidays? It's no wonder America is so unhappy and unhealthy.
That always surprises me too. A guy I know here has a son who lives in America and is about to have a baby, he’s going over there for three months after the kid is born to provide childcare as the parents get very little maternity/paternity leave...

4 weeks is the minimum by law here in new zealand plus all stat days. How come yanks get so few paid holidays? It's no wonder America is so unhappy and unhealthy.

We Americans have it messed up. We can crap for vacation time compared to other countries. And believe it or not people actually brag about how much they work as some sort of badge of honor or that it makes them smart or something.
You'll have people say "I work 7 days a week and over 70 hours a week most of the time". As if that's impressive. I'm not impressed with that at all. I'm thinking "You are an idiot for working that much. If you said you worked 30 hours a week and lived a comfortable lifestyle I'd be more impressed".

I work a 3 week on 1 week off roster and have 4 weeks holiday pay a year with 12 RDOs.

Them 3 weeks on are away from home

We Americans have it messed up. We can crap for vacation time compared to other countries. And believe it or not people actually brag about how much they work as some sort of badge of honor or that it makes them smart or something.
You'll have people say "I work 7 days a week and over 70 hours a week most of the time". As if that's impressive. I'm not impressed with that at all. I'm thinking "You are an idiot for working that much. If you said you worked 30 hours a week and lived a comfortable lifestyle I'd be more impressed".

My view is, if you're doing 50+ hours a week consistently, then you're either understaffed or you're inefficient.

3 weeks and 1 week sick pay. I’ve been here 8 years. At 10 years I get another week for 4 a year total.

Work just switched to a “discretionary time off” system which technically means there is no bank of hours and you can take off as much as you want. Now everyone feels guilty about taking days off.

Last edited:
I could probably take a month off but I only get paid for two weeks. if I really did all the bureaucracy I could probably take more time off due to my strong union.some guy at my job had a sabbatical for a year then came back.

That always surprises me too. A guy I know here has a son who lives in America and is about to have a baby, he’s going over there for three months after the kid is born to provide childcare as the parents get very little maternity/paternity leave...

Yeah, America's close to the bottom of the world on that one, too

Use all at once or scatter throughout the year?
Throughout the year. New to the company, haven't taken a day off during our busy sales period. Im gonna have to start burning through them in September and october

I get four weeks but I don't get holidays off. I get paid 2 1/2 times pay though. So it's all good.

I have been getting 12 weeks for a few years now. As I never take that much, I can carry two weeks into the next year. I also work about 12 stat days that are held for me every year. And 4 float days. That is damn near 16 weeks of paid vacation if I want!

I’m on vacation every single day cause I love my occupation.

Unlimited PTO. But obviously can’t take off the entire year, most take off around 1 - 2 months per year.

Australia
4 weeks annual leave
2 weeks sick days
not counting public holidays which probably about 10~ days

3 weeks vacation but unlimited sick/personal days to be used as needed. We're all salary, so none of it is monitored that closely.

Basically my deal.

No one gives a shit what vacation I take as long as I produce.

I usually only take 3 weeks throughout the year though, since the more I work, the more I make.

Back